General 'Maggie' has arrived and I have some questions

Currently reading:
General 'Maggie' has arrived and I have some questions

Mossycardiff

So I went for it, ditched the mini clubman and picked up 'Maggie' today.
She is 9 months old, lounge, black with cream ambience. I'm already in love with her :)

Few things I need help with though:
Does she read my iPhone text messages?
How do I open the secret glove compartment?
Do u have to slam ur drivers door to close it properly?
She cost almost £50 to fill up, is this about right?
Is there an iPhone plug in somewhere or do I need a lead? Can it play music from the iPhone/iPod?

Many thanks and sorry for so many questions, hoping someone knows the answers

Hi, congrats on the new car!

I can answer a few of those questions for you.

No, iPhone will not read text messages out through blue and me
Can't help on secret glove box, don't know where that is??
Shouldn't have to slam the drivers door
The tank takes 35 litres, and you may squeeze some more in above that so £50 is feasible especially if you filled up on the a4119 near radyr (uk's highest priced unleaded?)
You can plug your iPhone into the USB slot near the handbrake. You may have to slide the small door open to reveal the USB port. iPhone's and iPod's play great over your car radio.
You shouldn't need a special lead, just a normal sync/charge iPod/iPhone lead.

Hope some of this helps. Enjoy Maggie

Few picture of where it is and it opened in this thread (click here).
It is a little tricky to open - you have to press the 'slider button' hard. Often used to 'hide' a copy of your driver's licence, insurance details, etc. It wouldn't take much.
Some 500s have underseat storage on the passenger seat. This can take a lot more.

So I went for it, ditched the mini clubman and picked up 'Maggie' today.
She is 9 months old, lounge, black with cream ambience. I'm already in love with her :)

Few things I need help with though:
Does she read my iPhone text messages?
Do u have to slam ur drivers door to close it properly?
She cost almost £50 to fill up, is this about right?
Is there an iPhone plug in somewhere or do I need a lead? Can it play music from the iPhone/iPod?

Many thanks and sorry for so many questions, hoping someone knows the answers

No - she can't read iphone messages - I had that problem too :cry:
In front of the passenger seat, put you hand behind the dash and press the clip. (I only just found out about this in the last 10 mins) ;)
Yes, I also have to slam the doors to shut them (y)
£50 for me too :eek:
You can use the original cable from your iphone charger in the USB port :eek:

Oh yes, one other thing -

mine is a boy (Luigi), yours is a girl (Maggie).

Dim question - how do we tell ? :confused: Is it by the colour of the oil?

The car will take 42 litres from empty if you absolutely brim it so 50 pound is not impossible :)

I passed the further above mention expensive petrol station earlier.
£1.58 a litre. Cost you £66 to get your 42 litres from there :eek:

BTW, there is a way to get b&m to read iPhone messages but you'll need to jailbreak the phone and install an app via cydia. It still doesn't work that great after that, so I wouldn't bother. Search the blue and me section and you'll find out more.

Last edited:
I passed the further above mention expensive petrol station earlier.
£1.58 a litre. Cost you £66 to get your 42 litres from there :eek:

BTW, there is a way to get b&m to read iPhone messages but you'll need to jailbreak the phone and install an app via cydia. It still doesn't work that great after that, so I wouldn't bother. Search the blue and me section and you'll find out more.

My Windows Phone does text, windows messenger and facebook messenger out of the box :)

Yes, 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I'm sure my years old se k800i used to read texts via B&M back in my grande punto days 6 years ago. :cry:

I don't get the big attraction with the iPhone. Sure there's zillions of apps but do you actually need them? Others out there are cheaper and have better features :)

I don't get the big attraction with the iPhone. Sure there's zillions of apps but do you actually need them? Others out there are cheaper and have better features :)

Yes, but for me there are a few winning benefits. We have a great sounding dock in the kitchen, you just don't get Samsung or HTC etc docks. Apple support is second to none. My iPhone 4 will get the new ios6 when launched. Its an over 2 year old model. Do the others keep updating old products or just cast them aside?
I drowned my phone in the sea just over a week ago. I took it to my local apple store, they replace it for £119 for a new exchange hand set. I know of no other manufacturer that would do anything like that. As long as the phone is not broken in 2 pieces you can take any old battered handset in. Of course, this all depends on you having a local apple store, although you could still use post.
I suppose you could buy insurance but I never bother knowing I have the above option.

Yes, but for me there are a few winning benefits. We have a great sounding dock in the kitchen, you just don't get Samsung or HTC etc docks. Apple support is second to none. My iPhone 4 will get the new ios6 when launched. Its an over 2 year old model. Do the others keep updating old products or just cast them aside?
I drowned my phone in the sea just over a week ago. I took it to my local apple store, they replace it for £119 for a new exchange hand set. I know of no other manufacturer that would do anything like that. As long as the phone is not broken in 2 pieces you can take any old battered handset in. Of course, this all depends on you having a local apple store, although you could still use post.
I suppose you could buy insurance but I never bother knowing I have the above option.

Apple purposely keep features from their products though. Not that I think Siri is actually useful, but it could run just fine on the iPhone 4 yet Apple choose to exclude it.

We have 3 windows phones in our house. A Samsung Omnia 7 which I bought a week or two after launch and gave to my wife at Christmas when I bought myself a Nokia Lumia 800 and an HTC HD7 which I bought second hand from a co-worker because I couldn't get the Lumia 800 unlocked.

All three phones run exactly the same apps and have the same features other than a few little specialities that are unique to the brands like HTC sense and so on. They all get the same updates also.

I think that if people actually looked out there in the world of Windows Phones and of course the more popular android handsets, they'd be very impressed at what is out there.

Having used an HTC TouchPro2 (Windows Mobile 6.1) for the last three years, I'm eagerly awaiting the new iPhone. Why? One simple answer. Idiot-proof, invisible integration across my iPad, my Mac, my PC, and then my phone... -- everything automagically up-to-date across all my devices.... :cool:

I shall, of course, miss the keyboard on my TP2; and the incredible 'customizability'/'hackability' of WM: but, at my age, ease of use is quickly starting to win out...! :eek:

PS: Worked in the IT industry for donkeys years; and still keep up-to-date with everything... -- just don't see anyone approaching Apple's ethos for a long time... (and, although a fan of Steve Jobs -- who I met once...! -- I am no Apple 'fanboi'... -- just someone who expects that technology should deliver without the user needing to get their hands or brain-cells dirty (unless they want to...)). :worship:

Having used an HTC TouchPro2 (Windows Mobile 6.1) for the last three years, I'm eagerly awaiting the new iPhone. Why? One simple answer. Idiot-proof, invisible integration across my iPad, my Mac, my PC, and then my phone... -- everything automagically up-to-date across all my devices.... :cool:

I shall, of course, miss the keyboard on my TP2; and the incredible 'customizability'/'hackability' of WM: but, at my age, ease of use is quickly starting to win out...! :eek:

PS: Worked in the IT industry for donkeys years; and still keep up-to-date with everything... -- just don't see anyone approaching Apple's ethos for a long time... (and, although a fan of Steve Jobs -- who I met once...! -- I am no Apple 'fanboi'... -- just someone who expects that technology should deliver without the user needing to get their hands or brain-cells dirty (unless they want to...)). :worship:

So, you don't rate the fact that WP8 and W8 will share their Kernel? :confused: I hated Windows Mobiles if I'm honest, always used to hate iPaq's and the like back in the day. Symbian was always clunky when it came to apps. But Windows Phone 7 and soon to be 8 are every bit as idiot proof as iOS :)

So, you don't rate the fact that WP8 and W8 will share their Kernel?

Sorry: but...

1. As much as I am able to cope with the vagaries of various flavours of Windows (currently running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro on a media server...), have spent too much of my life tech-supporting those around me (at work and a home) who find it unreliable and over-complicated. For me, MS have left it way too late to garner my trust and fidelity....
  2. I have not had this problem with those family members running Macs or iOS devices (and my son learned to read on an original iMac...) -- even my 83-year-old Dad...!
  3. I believe that the massive change in GUI to Windows 8 (both desktop and mobile) will suit some; but will leave the majority totally confused. I agree with you about the integration... -- but see point 1, above....
  4. Having used Macs since they were launched in 1984, I may be a tad biased, I admit... -- but I have also used (mostly because of my work) Windows- and Linux-based PCs, Sparcstations, you name it... -- and nothing has ever persuaded me that it was easier to use, more functional, or gave more 'bang for the buck' than the equivalent Apple machine (apart from a nice IBM ThinkPad... -- but that was before Apple sussed laptops...)!
  5. Still, having said all that: I only buy equipment that suits my needs (not wants) -- and resisted the iPad until the latest version, because the screen wasn't high-res enough for me to edit photographs on. Again, the new iPhone will fill an increasingly large hole, where integration of my data is concerned: and I would have to give-up (i) too many years of investment; and (ii) too much trust... to go anywhere else....
However logical I have tried to be, I know, in the end, though, that it comes down to that old maxim, "each to his own", really...! :cool:

PS: Apologies for somewhat hijacking this thread... :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the replies (although you've lost me on some of the phone talk).
Been out in Maggie all day, very different drive to the mini, quieter, softer, lighter. Some bits seem cheap compared to the mini which is a shame but many other features are so much better.

I'm going to try and find secret compartment tomorrow. Gutted about the text thing but am very happy with the blue&me in general, nothing like that in the mini. Will see how the petrol goes am hoping full tank will last me ages.

you need to save sings as mp3 (well you do on my 2008 500) and I ditched the iPod use quite early on in favor of using USB stick. Missed having playlists and also if gets nicked cheap to replace

I had a phone that did connect to read text messages but all that happened was my husband kept texting pervy messages on purpose for the 'posh' blue and me lady to read out! I keep phone in boot now anyway to avoid temptation in traffic jams

I do an average of 43mpg in mine but think if drove a bit more like Driving Miss Daisy I'd do better

About to have second MOT and still only had two breather pipes perish and only replaced two tyres. Just reaching 36,000 miles

Enjoy your car....I love mine and can't see anything I'd replace it with apart from perhaps the panda but only due to nostalgia bring first car I had 23 years ago! Had lots of makes in between but come full circle back to fiat

Back