General Indicator cancels before I have turned

Currently reading:
General Indicator cancels before I have turned

Vikki500

Hi, I found some old threads about this from 2009 and wondered if this was still a quirk of the Fiat 500 and therefore not a fault that can be fixed? My indicator is forever cancelling itself before I have completed the turn and I have to put it back on. This is really distracting on a roundabout when I have indicated to go right, go slightly left to make the turn and it turns itself off as I’m less than half way round the roundabout. I’m a new driver and roundabouts are my biggest fear and it’s really distracting me. I have a 2018 model. Is this still just something you have to put up with? Thank you!

Funny you mention that. I drove a 2018 Fiat 500 a few weeks ago after a long time away and muscle memory kicked in with reapplying the indicator stalk mid roundabout. All Fiats I've driven do the same thing and I've become accustomed to holding the steering wheel but covering my left hand fingers over the indicator stalk to prevent it from cancelling when I don't want it to. This gives the headspace to do the more important things on a roundabout.

This has been happening and mentioned ever since the 500(and maybe pandas and others previously!) was introduced! seems to be a Fiat design trait.

Its something to do with a manual part of the steering gear that "flicks" the stalk catch/lock off when you turn the wheel! but its been made to do this a little to enthusiastically.

I daresay that some clever mechanical genius could work out a way to re-do it to stop it happening but as far as i know theres nothing available at present, and if you consider the costs of striping out the parts working out what to do and then doing it.- it is probably not financially viable to do it!, therefore the only recourse is to adapt your driving style to compensate and re-apply the indication when needed!.

I understand how distracting and worrying this can be and would advise a little bit of "self mental training" to learn the new procedures.

Take a little time each day even when not driving the car to mentally "put yourself" into a situation such as the roundabouts as you mentioned and practice IN YOUR MIND doing the actions to re-apply the indicator!.

This kind of mental run-through pre-conditions your mind to whats required! kinda teaching yourself what to do before actually doing it! so as when time comes tour brain is ready for it and you can apply the procedure at a sub-concious level -rather than having to think about doing it thus leaving your attention free to concentrate on the other traffic and situations which is causing you so much anxiety at the moment!.
Its sort of "mental practice makes perfect!".

Hope you find this helpful and adapt the skills and confidence you need to make your driving less stressful for you!
good luck!.
Steve

This all sounds a bit strange to me; one of my pet hates about the indicators on my FIAT is that they don't cancel unless you've turned the wheel sufficiently far over. Most corners are OK but anything less than a turn of about 60 degress and the damn thing just keeps ticking away, and in daylight in my noisy environment I've often left them flashing for miles because in bright sun the display is almost invisible and the tick inaudible. At night of course the light is there to remind me. Never had such an issue with my Mazda's.

We have a 2009 car can say I've never noticed a issue.
Though I do like the flick to flash 3 times
Only 3 times? Its broken! either its broken or maladjusted or the steering wheel isnt straight. A proper tracking place will set the wheel straight and correct the track after. This doesnt include most places that do tracking.

Only 3 times? Its broken! either its broken or maladjusted or the steering wheel isnt straight. A proper tracking place will set the wheel straight and correct the track after. This doesnt include most places that do tracking.
No, that's about right, mine is the same and so is our Mazda. A single half press of the stalk flashes the lights three times, supposedly for lane-changing. Personally I prefer to give at least five flashes before even starting a lane-change so I hold it down.

Last edited:
I think it stems from the Panda (obviously the 500 is related). I had a 55 plate Panda Eleganza back in 2010 and the indicators would always self cancel. The amount of times I had thought I had broken the indicator stalk by holding it whilst turning - a lovely cracking sound. My 2020 595 does exactly the same, in fact when I test drove it before buying, I noticed it and thought to myself "Just like a Panda"..
The lane change function, I imagine is on most modern cars, these days. Definitely been on all of the VWs we've owned in the last 10 - 15 years. Audi too.

if this was still a quirk of the Fiat 500 and therefore not a fault that can be fixed
It is a quirk of the 500 (and the 169 Panda) and it can't be fixed.

Interesting that this issue still persists in 2018 models; you'd have thought Fiat would have fixed it by then.

Regular drivers of these cars know that there are some positions of the steering wheel where it's not possible to use the indicators.

I regularly have to make a left turn from a right hand bend close to home, and know that the indicators are going to self cancel at just the wrong moment. I either have to reselect them, or leave indicating until later than I would like.

It's annoying.

I don't recommend holding the indicator stalk to stop them from self cancelling; this risks damaging the stalk, and replacements aren't cheap.

My own view is that indicators shouldn't self cancel at all; operating the indicators, both ways, should be part of the driver's job. Citroen had this design philosophy for many years.

Last edited:
My own view is that indicators shouldn't self cancel at all; operating the indicators, both ways, should be part of the driver's job. Citroen had this design philosophy for many years.
I wouldn't object to that, provided there was a bright enough indictor light on the display that could be seen in daylight and a louder tick noise. 🙃

On our 500 it cancels way too easily sometimes, if I come to a roundabout that has a slight bend in the road going left and I’m going right on the roundabout I have to hold it into position then makes a horrible click sound.

I wouldn't do that, better to turn it back on after it cancels I think. 🙃
Easier said that done, it is mostly on one roundabout though it’s troublesome, the time it cancels itself is when you’re on the roundabout turning right, then to other people it probably looks like you’re indicating at the very last second :(

I wouldn't object to that, provided there was a bright enough indictor light on the display that could be seen in daylight and a louder tick noise. 🙃
I have the TFT clock and the ticking is louder & actually slightly different to the original clocks .. and the screen being a digital is brighter! Although I have to say my stalk does exactly as the op has suggested… it’s annoying but I’ve learned to live with it 🤣

Can confirm my 2004 Panda is the same.

It's annoying, I've learned to anticipate its little ways, but my better half found it a real distraction when learning to drive, so I sympathise with the OP.

I stumbled across a thread on the Fiat Coupe pages where the plastic pegs that control the self-cancelling wear out...
... and they took it apart to fix it!

I'm waiting for mine to wear out:)

20 years old and annoyingly it hasn't broken yet.

I have the TFT clock and the ticking is louder & actually slightly different to the original clocks .. and the screen being a digital is brighter! Although I have to say my stalk does exactly as the op has suggested… it’s annoying but I’ve learned to live with it 🤣
As I've said, I never really noticed the premature cancelling of the indicators, my gripe is with them not canceling after a less than 90 degree turn! Yes Baglady, I had a 2014 car on loan once with the TFT and the ticking sound was much louder. The car had a black steering wheel too so I couldn't tell if the display was hidden in bright sun like mine is.

Back