M5 crash

Currently reading:
M5 crash

However tho - there is no evidence to say this actually caused the accident
There still spinning the bottle of the Blame game

Another thoery is that a Car sped onto the motorway - cut a lorry up - lorry took evasive action - started the crash that way

Only way we will know what happens is IF we get a snip of evidence to start the ball rolling

Ziggy

This, Gaz37.

Try telling common sense to be applied to the families of the people that lost their lives.

Common sense was NOT applied, as there would have been no bonfires or fireworks display anywhere near a bloody motorway.

Someone definitely needs to be held accountable.

OK, who?

The landowner?

The person who sold the tickets?

The Chairman of the rugby club?

The pyrotechnician who lit the fuse?

God for making the wind blow the wrong way?

There was no bonfire BTW, it was fireworks so maybe the chapter and verse of the law may not apply, shock horror no rules? What do we do know?

I have it on good authority that tailgating played a very large part in this. No surprises there. Sad though it is,34 vehicles takes a bit of doing. Some witnesses are saying they managed to avoid crashing, but were over took by others obviously not driving to the conditions strait into the mayhem.

When I mentioned Mr common sense, I was actually meaning driving to the conditions. You can make all the excuses under the sun, but at the end of the day there were some drivers who managed not to be involved in this.

Last edited:
OK, who?

The landowner?

The person who sold the tickets?

The Chairman of the rugby club?

The pyrotechnician who lit the fuse?

God for making the wind blow the wrong way?

There was no bonfire BTW, it was fireworks so maybe the chapter and verse of the law may not apply, shock horror no rules? What do we do know?

The highest person in charge, of course. I thought it was pretty concrete this is what caused it?

wont the even organiser have had to carry out a risk assessment, then give that to the insurers of the event and to the council issuing a licence for the event? then if so wont the insurance of the event pay out if indeed it is proved to be smoke at fault?

There is no requirement for any form of licence according to Somerset Council spokesman on the news.

Bearing in mind the Germans never have such horrific accident's like that and a lot of their motorways are unrestricted.

The germans manage it with a much lower injury and fatality rate they must be doing something right!

Sorry Chris, but where is your evidence for this ?

A quick google shows that there are more road fatalities in Germany than the UK (total, per head of population, per car, and per miles driven),
e.g. http://www.transportsfriend.org/road-safety/2010/july-road-deaths.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Statistics have a habit of distorting facts, and these tables don't show the whole story (deaths/injuries to drivers/passengers/pedestrians, accidents caused by drink/drugs/speeding/distraction/mechanical faults, motorways/minor roads/Nürburgring etc.) but I don't see any reason to conclude that German roads are safer than UK roads.

It could even be argued that there are more deaths despite tighter MOTs or because of stricter MOTs, giving a false sense of security. Or maybe that German Car Syndrome (yourself excluded, of course - I used to own a BMW too ;)) means that more Audis/BMWs = more arrogant drivers = more accidents ?

Nah I don't think so personally. If anything my driving has improoved, I've slowed down and more courteous as I'm not in such a rush the whole time its a much nicer place to be :).

And as you say its very hard to get the whole truth from stats availible on the internet. As you say I bet the nurburg crashes appear in those stats.

As for MOTs even if it doesn't have a positive effect on the stats I'd be much happier knowing more of the cars out there on the road are road worthy.

The highest person in charge, of course. I thought it was pretty concrete this is what caused it?

Actually it's not 100% clear what actually caused the initial crash. Obviously there are contributing factors. As I said before, regards to the bigger picture the ensuing mayhem was due to tailgating & drivers not allowing for the conditions. 34 vehicles does take some doing tho' this part does somewhat surprises me.

Read in the press the other day that the verdict is out on this. Down to an over zealous driver braking suddenly & of course the other tailgater's not driving to the conditions.

Pretty obvious I thought.

i carry 2 small CO2 fire extinguishers in my cinq.. one is in the boot and one is just behind the center console, under the dash held inplace with velcro.. fitted them myself..
heh never know with my wireing
but if i saw a car on fire at the side of the road i would use both to put it out (if the car was still saveable)

The best you can hope for with a small CO2 is to knock back a small electrical fire until you can get all the passengers out the car.

They use 2x 9kg powder followed by 2x 9litre foam to put out this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hXfnhSskmOU#t=98s

Does it say why the driver braked suddenly?

Fog. The rugby club was given a clean bill of health, no blame for them. Actually I read this in one of our local papers. Small piece hidden away on a column inside the paper. A bit surprised really as I would've thought there would be a bit more loudness to this.

Christ so all that carnage was caused by moron probably pfaffing about with their car stereo in thick fog.

I really can't see why you would brake for no reason unless you weren't paying attention.

Christ so all that carnage was caused by moron probably pfaffing about with their car stereo in thick fog.

I really can't see why you would brake for no reason unless you weren't paying attention.

The driver who caused it may have been faffing in the fog and wondered on to the rumble strips either by the central reservation or the hard shoulder. Ive seen drivers brake when they hit them because I know it can make you jump if your not expecting it :p

Personally I think it had/has something to do with trucks overtaking each other and motorists becoming effectively boxed in between the Cent.Res. and the 2 trucks. They can be pretty intimidating to new drivers.

Tom

Sorry Chris, but where is your evidence for this ?

A quick google shows that there are more road fatalities in Germany than the UK (total, per head of population, per car, and per miles driven),
e.g. http://www.transportsfriend.org/road-safety/2010/july-road-deaths.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Statistics have a habit of distorting facts, and these tables don't show the whole story (deaths/injuries to drivers/passengers/pedestrians, accidents caused by drink/drugs/speeding/distraction/mechanical faults, motorways/minor roads/Nürburgring etc.) but I don't see any reason to conclude that German roads are safer than UK roads.

It could even be argued that there are more deaths despite tighter MOTs or because of stricter MOTs, giving a false sense of security. Or maybe that German Car Syndrome (yourself excluded, of course - I used to own a BMW too ;)) means that more Audis/BMWs = more arrogant drivers = more accidents ?

Sorry to dig up an old post but I was interested :p

One of the blokes I work with lived in Germany for 33 years and he saw countless accidents. He wittles it down to Germans having a "Zero-tolerance Approach to mistakes on the road".
The way he put it was, that if you make a mistake on the road, front wheels sticking over the line at a T-Junction for example, then the traffic wont swerve to avoid you, they will just plow into you (obviously no ones suicidal enough to think "FA*K SIS SILLY ROAD DRIVER" and do it on purpose), But they believe in there are no accidents without mistakes being made first.

Bet the insurance companys love the Krauts.

Long story short, there are less reported road accidents in Germany due to there hardly ever being shared blame.

Actually, no surprises when you think about it. As soon as a person becomes part of any agenda, human error will/does rear it's head. It's not a question of "if" it is however "when"

Perhaps a cynical point of view & simplistic but true non the less.

Back