Technical M.O.T. fail -_-

Currently reading:
Technical M.O.T. fail -_-

well my little sei baby leah failed her MOT today :(
service brake efficiency 47% what's it meant to be ? because the hand brake only have 3 clicks

nearside mechanical brake component has restricted free movement so brakes are binding that a new cylinder or just a stiff leaver and im thinking if i tighten the handbrake much more thell bind even worse oh what a pickle looks like iver got something to do on the weekend though

service brake efficiency 47% what's it meant to be ? because the hand brake only have 3 clicks
It means no maintenance - you need to take the rear wheels off and remove drums and inspect...
nearside mechanical brake component has restricted free movement so brakes are binding that a new cylinder or just a stiff leaver and im thinking if i tighten the handbrake much more thell bind even worse oh what a pickle looks like iver got something to do on the weekend though
probably stiff lever, but could be other parts stuck

Drum brakes are not zero maintenance, more like significant others prone to taking huff

Hope it does not rain

Noel

Sorry about that, is it something you can fix yourself? If so let us know how you did it please, good luck! :)

It is not the cable that had got you the MoT failure but the drum that does not work.

Remove both wheels remove both drums and inspect, you need to free off both actuation levers and coat pivots with copper slip.

If the shoes have no pads left new shoes.

If drums badly worn or badly scored new drums.

You have never had the drums off...

Noel

had ofside drum of a frew times had to replace bering and the back plate and a cylinder and only had the nearside drum of once and it look in pretty good condition

had ofside drum of a frew times had to replace bering and the back plate and a cylinder and only had the nearside drum of once and it look in pretty good condition

Hi
I apologize, but when you have the drum off you need to free off the lever pivots and apply copper slip grease to pivots.

So both drums off.

On mine they need doing about once a year, gonna replace with new next year. I spent all my time fixing the auto.

The MoT man always complains about something new.

Noel

thinking bout it i got the car 6 months ago and the drums wouldent come of had to hit them so hard to get the the dust and that out :p its was litraly like they havent been taken of in 12 years was mental but i did have to do a poor job of fixing the bit that connects to the cable i went home and my mate said hed work on it so i was like ok then i drove it home rung him up like tom the hand brake dont work he desided to tell me insted of putting a split pin in the bolt he put a alan key witch fell out and i lost the bolt on way home silly tom so i just :p so i just grabed a bolt drilled a hole frew it and put split pin in but i fink the bolt was to thin anyway that was on the offside so in thinkin the offside might be a bit slacker than the nearside witch is bindin so i fink the cables to tight on that wheel but anyway i shall take the drums of clean everythink witch copper grease and find the right size bolt i think that should work

The pin is a simple clevis pin with a split pin a good factor should stock. A stud of the same diameter would be ok but you will need to drill it.

I try not to bodge brakes.

They seize so regular even with the Fiat components.

Noel

Back