General Failed MOT

Currently reading:
General Failed MOT

Duffys Dad

Our little blue has sadly and badly failed the MOT. Particularly worried about the corrosion issue. Has anybody else pulled theirs back from this please or is it the end..?

Repair immediately (major defects):
Rear Exhaust emissions likely to be affected by an exhaust leak silencer (8.2.1.1 (b))
Exhaust Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (8.2.1.2 (c))
Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))
Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Exhaust hydrocarbon content after 2nd fast idle exceeds manufacturer's specified limits (8.2.1.2 (a))
Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))
Nearside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))
Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a) (ii))
Nearside Side repeater not working (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Offside Headlamp aim too low (4.1.2 (a))
Offside Headlamp insecure (4.1.1 (c))
Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength floor (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Nearside Rear Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened inner arch upper spring mount (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Offside Front Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Offside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Offside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii)) IMG_0143.JPG

Hi :)

As normal with MOTs once its failed.. the list grows to cover a multitude of 'stuff'

Rot in the corners of the boot floor is common.. but yours says
'Damper mount' area.. this sounds taller to me

Pics of inner boot.. AND the fronts problem area will help

Any idea why the emissions are so bad?

Not unfixable.. but you need to be realistic about the scope..

If a garage is doing it all..

It'll be £500.. :(

£150 Welding.. then £100 of parts yourself.. it could live on..

Charlie

I have retrieved her from the garage and will have a look at the rust myself to see what can be done. Not sure about the emissions as she had a new exhaust recently. I suspect the engine ecu is toast though as since my daughter jump started her the mileage counts up when stationary. Maybe replace the ecu from a scrap one and hope it gets the engine under control again.

It sounds like the car is in major need of some tlc.
Surely alot of the corrosion issues were highlighted on the last MOT?

If the exhaust was replaced and it has major leaks, that needs addressing and won't help emissions.

Really need some pictures of the concern areas to make a better judgement on whether to repair or call it a day.

Back