Lowering, What Do I Need?

Currently reading:
Lowering, What Do I Need?

K777MBA

Hi, never lowered a car before but got some springs for my grande and just wanting to know what's recommended when lowering. Springs are 50/40mm. I've got Bilstein shocks to put on with them but that's it. Do I need anything else?
Thanks

Hi, never lowered a car before but got some springs for my grande and just wanting to know what's recommended when lowering. Springs are 50/40mm. I've got Bilstein shocks to put on with them but that's it. Do I need anything else?
Thanks

a ready supply of replacement /CV joints for the driveshafts:rolleyes:

ask / SEARCH in GP section.., ;)
common enough

Charlie

insurance is sorted, I'm getting a garage to do them as I haven't a clue! I've heard something about camber afterwards along with alignment is that right or is the alignment all I need to do.

It should be ok being dropped 50mm though shouldn't it? Keeping the standard alloys on as well. Hopefully It doesn't need any adjusting

50mm is actually more than you think. I was gonna drop my 500 (insurance had a fit!), and I was only gonna drop it an inch.

Camber will change - whether you'll notice or not or until you look at your tyres (oh, keep an eye on the inside edge!) I can't say. But an alignment check is a good shout for afterwards because I think it also does stuff to your toe in/out (don't quote me on that). It's whether you like the slight camber look and would opt for just paying a bit for tyres and to have camber or just have straight ones and not pay for tyres. (just spotted your username - i'm hoping for some filthy camber ;))
And if you're just doing springs, keep an eye on your shocks.

Also you'll need a sticker indicating to others that your car is static. Or a sticker that says "Slammed.". I'm joking, I love that shizz. :p

By the way - you will want new shiny alloys. It's the progression of things. :D

Thanks for the advice I've got bilstein shocks to replace the stock shock absorbers so that's all good. We'll see about the sticker ... Haha

Once you've informed your insurance company, the best way to find out how to fit them is to get a Haynes manual. It'll tell you how to remove and then install a suspension unit. Keep in mind it won't talk about after market units but the points in which you attach it to the car. For the set up i'd ring Bilstein for they're advice on how to set it up for whatever your taste is.

Back