Lowering Springs

Currently reading:
Lowering Springs

guessing it would be depending on size of wheels but i doubt your shocks willlike the 60mm drop very much would say your safe wth a 40 on standard shocks

i agree, 60mm will be harsh on your standard dampers, if you really want to go that low, get the whole lowering kit

TBH even if you get the whole kit, I'd maybe still look at going 40mm...

I had a mk1 punto many moons ago, dropped on 60mm springs - I REALLY wouldn't recommend it. Yes, it looks good, but it's about as practical as a chocolate teapot! :confused:

From memory expect lots of wear on the rear trailing arms and track rod ends for a start!

Hope this helps!

Martyn

MichaelWhiteLocust said:
ok,how about i meet half way,50mm? no lower as im getting similar responses on other forums about 60mm drop...

going 50mm you'll still need shortened shocks. A 40mm drop is the limit you can go without them

a 40mm drop is the best all round compromise.

MichaelWhiteLocust said:
See i dont think a 40mm drop would even be worth while,ive seen mk1's lowered by 50 and it doesnt even look that low! So i dont want to be dissapointed.

But then, when you start filling the car with junk/passengers you need to allow that little bit more clearance...

Fair play, you don't want to be dissapointed, but believe me at 60mm, and maybe even with shocks, you'll be replacing track rod ends on a weekly basis!

Ultimately it's your call! Im sure the car will look good, regardless! (y)

MichaelWhiteLocust said:
Ok i know a guy over on fiat forum that has his mk1 lowered by 50mm, he doesnt have any problems so looks like il go for that!

at the end of the day, it's your call mate (y)

theres plenty people on here who've been fiddling with cars for years now all saying 40mm is correct though

I know of a punto on a 50mm drop that has had its exhaust ripped off twice.

id only go for a 50mm drop if i lived somewhere with no speedbumps or potholes. in the real world 40mm is ideal.

i take it your buying shortened shocks too?

Yeh id rather replace the shocks aswell tbh, and im 17 aka young and careless so we'll see what happens.....but on that note....

I had 3 in the car lastnight,2 in the front and 1 in the back, and it was scraping on speedbumps i kid you not! i was like WTF

Apparantly they are the biggest speedbumps around my area tho!

MichaelWhiteLocust said:
Yeh id rather replace the shocks aswell tbh, and im 17 aka young and careless so we'll see what happens.....but on that note....

I had 3 in the car lastnight,2 in the front and 1 in the back, and it was scraping on speedbumps i kid you not! i was like WTF

Apparantly they are the biggest speedbumps around my area tho!

Have you checked with insuranece ? It's going to cost you loads!

Ming

Is this before of after you crash and they void your insurance policy?

Got to watch with this type of thing cause I am sure you can then be done for driving without insurance? not sure though.

MichaelWhiteLocust said:
Insurance dont need to know ;)

oh Yes they do.

Your insurance will be invalid, you will be done for driving without insurance, fined and banned.

You dont even need to be in an accident. The chances of a yoing guy in a punto getting stopped by the police for "checks" are quite high, believe me, if they see the mods they WILL be checking with your insurance they are declared.

MichaelWhiteLocust said:
Is it true that if i dont declare them as mods and just say i bought the car like that and dont claim for them then it shall be ok?

No.

Its up to the driver to check every detail is 100% accurate and they are fully covered for insurance.

Its like driving your car with a front wheel missing. It doesnt matter if thats how you bought it, the police will still do you for driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Back