Technical lowering concerns on mk2, 50mm drop

Currently reading:
Technical lowering concerns on mk2, 50mm drop

punto urban racer

Im looking to lower my mk2 by 50mm using only new springs on standard suspension. I have it lowered by 35mm at the mo and its ok, but could go lower i feel. Is the 50mm drop likely to totally mess my car up? My arches are totally standard. Could anyone help me? Cheers.

punto urban racer said:
Im looking to lower my mk2 by 50mm using only new springs on standard suspension. I have it lowered by 35mm at the mo and its ok, but could go lower i feel. Is the 50mm drop likely to totally mess my car up? My arches are totally standard. Could anyone help me? Cheers.
Is it really worth it for that extra 1.5cm? I personally don't think so. Stick with what you know. If it works and looks 'ok' then why change it?

User Matt_Oakly on here has -50mm springs and hes had no trouble with them. I know they will eventually knacker the shocks in but by that time you should have saved enough for new ones. Even the 35mm drop will ruin the shocks

I know its only my opinion and it probably doesn't really matter (seeing as I haven't lowered my car....yet!), but if you haven't lowered your car then fine go for the 50mm drop (with new shocks of course), but if you have already lowered it by 35mm then its not worth going for it, unless you only used lowering springs and intended to fit shocks at a later date. Then I can see the point (y) .

Ive had PI -50mm springs on for about 1.5 years now and my shocks are shagged (standard Fiat ones are S*** anyway), gonna get some new gas filled ones.

What I would say is that on the back if I have 1 large/2 small people in the rear seats my 17s will rub on the bumper (tyres) over large bumps, not doing any damage tho.

Also you need to make sure you have your exhaust fitted really well otherwise it will knock because its so low. I have found that supersprint give you the most room there.

LanciaMad said:
Ive had PI -50mm springs on for about 1.5 years now and my shocks are shagged (standard Fiat ones are S*** anyway), gonna get some new gas filled ones.

With PI Iam not surprised.
35mm is quite low for the drive shafts. Going lower can wear them prematurely.

35mm is quite low for the drive shafts. Going lower can wear them prematurely.

Just out of interest, how can you tell when your drive shafts are worn? How do you know when they need replacing?

Ok i will get some new shocks to stop it messin up. Anyone know what shocks i can buy that are compatible with the PI 50mm springs? I am keen to get my punto loooooow! cheers

Im gonna buy some gmax/PI shocks, both kits are for 35mm drops but are better than originals! Saw some Gmax front shocks at 37 quid each in demon tweeks so gotta be cheaper else where!

Back