General Low mileage 60S

Currently reading:
General Low mileage 60S

the fuel system is a return system on this car.. So fuel goes down a line from the pump housing, down the car to the throttle body, past the injector to a regulator, and the regulator holds the pressure right across the injector and lets the surplus fuel past down the return line back to the tank, it enters back through the top of the fuel pump housing. It doesn't go through the EVAP system at all.. The EVAP has a vacuum hose that goes to the rear of the throttle body and its controlled via the little valve on the canister which is just an open/close switch controlled via the ecu. The fuel flow and return pipes could very well be a leaking point - there is an access panel under the rear seats in most fiats, been too long for to remember if the mk1 has it but i would bet money it does.. Unlike my suzuki which you have to drop the whole tank off to service anything there. The pipes are quick release type but you unless there is evidence of a leak around the fuel pump housing and the hoses i wouldn't expect its there but no harm pulling them pipes off and having a good look for cracks in the bit they clip onto - i have seen a few cracked/snapped there but usually its really obvious as there is pressure in them pipes when the system primes and engine running.

I have posted a in the mk1 punto guides section a little diagram that shows what every part of the throttle body is and where all the pipes go if you are interested ;)

the fuel system is a return system on this car.. So fuel goes down a line from the pump housing, down the car to the throttle body, past the injector to a regulator, and the regulator holds the pressure right across the injector and lets the surplus fuel past down the return line back to the tank, it enters back through the top of the fuel pump housing. It doesn't go through the EVAP system at all.. The EVAP has a vacuum hose that goes to the rear of the throttle body and its controlled via the little valve on the canister which is just an open/close switch controlled via the ecu. The fuel flow and return pipes could very well be a leaking point - there is an access panel under the rear seats in most fiats, been too long for to remember if the mk1 has it but i would bet money it does.. Unlike my suzuki which you have to drop the whole tank off to service anything there. The pipes are quick release type but you unless there is evidence of a leak around the fuel pump housing and the hoses i wouldn't expect its there but no harm pulling them pipes off and having a good look for cracks in the bit they clip onto - i have seen a few cracked/snapped there but usually its really obvious as there is pressure in them pipes when the system primes and engine running.

I have posted a in the mk1 punto guides section a little diagram that shows what every part of the throttle body is and where all the pipes go if you are interested ;)
Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes ...or doesn't!
D

Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes ...or doesn't!
D
The simple things are the best! On looking hard at the concertina tube it appears to have a hole in it! Good news the seal/gasket is available ex stock from local Fiat dealer (£0.98 each!) Bad news, none in the UK. Good News he gave me it's Part No (7761107) and that can be bought on ebay Italy for under £20 plus unknown postage.
So, patch it up with gloop until the bits arrive!
DGH

which seal do you mean there?? the pipe itself is 7761107 and comes with the seals from either end according to my eper, can't imagine the pipe is 98 pence.. anyhoo, my eper so no longer supplied so whatever you find will be new old stock.

anyhow, glad you found the leak, i see the pipe on italian ebay, just the one - lets hope they will send to the uk!! best of luck - i recognise the seller username, feel like i might have bought something from them before for my panda so hopefully all will get sorted.

And if they won't send you know its that pipe now and just some flexible flue line like i linked before would do to sort this out too (y)

sounds like you have been busy David , I still have the 60s of you want it no probs , it my have the parts you need although the fuel tank is off the car as I am saving it in case mine rusts out but all the fuel lines are there .
Hi, I have found a new overflow pipe in Italy with seals, but the seller doesn't do sales outside Italy!! I can get a friend in Italy to buy it etc, but that is getting complicated!
So if you have this crinkly pipe (goes from the bottom of the filler to the top of the tank, and can get it off ok & it is intact I will have it! It is about 1" / 1.5" diameter.
I can get the seals locally & change the clips to generic jubilee type. And I will have your backseat to make it worth every ones time! I can come up at almost anytime to suit you! It may be easier than using post or a carrier, unless you have a tame carrier?
Hear from you soon!

Hi, I have found a new overflow pipe in Italy with seals, but the seller doesn't do sales outside Italy!! I can get a friend in Italy to buy it etc, but that is getting complicated!
So if you have this crinkly pipe (goes from the bottom of the filler to the top of the tank, and can get it off ok & it is intact I will have it! It is about 1" / 1.5" diameter.
I can get the seals locally & change the clips to generic jubilee type. And I will have your backseat to make it worth every ones time! I can come up at almost anytime to suit you! It may be easier than using post or a carrier, unless you have a tame carrier?
Hear from you soon!

Its a shame they won't send it [emoji107]?, i will have a look in the garage tomorrow for the pipe , make sure it's useable, if you have use of a trailer you can take the whole car if you like .

Its a shame they won't send it [emoji107]?, i will have a look in the garage tomorrow for the pipe , make sure it's useable, if you have use of a trailer you can take the whole car if you like .
Tried to reply yesterday, but failed! Don't bin the car yet! I have to go to Felixtowe on Thursday to pick up an 1929 Austin Seven on the trailer behind the (not leaking at the moment!)Punto! It will just about take another Punto on the trailer, so I may take you up on your offer. I will try & send a pm with my details of phone etc!
D

Tried to reply yesterday, but failed! Don't bin the car yet! I have to go to Felixtowe on Thursday to pick up an 1929 Austin Seven on the trailer behind the (not leaking at the moment!)Punto! It will just about take another Punto on the trailer, so I may take you up on your offer. I will try & send a pm with my details of phone etc!
D

Sent you a PM with my details [emoji106]?, also checked the pipe on the tank I have and sadly it's not useable either .

Sent you a PM with my details [emoji106]?, also checked the pipe on the tank I have and sadly it's not useable either .
Steve. I think I will have to pass on your offer! I really am surrounded by cars! I am a bit preoccupied with getting the 1929 Austin Seven RK saloon going. (look it up, makes a Punto look like a spaceship!)
My Italian friend got the pipe for me & it arrived this week...now to fit it, I think I have to drop the tank! Deep Joy.
most impressed with your very smart other car by the way!
David

No problem David , sounds like you are going to be busy . if you can tackle a 1929 Austin I'm sure fitting the pipe will be an easy job [emoji106]?
I will take out the rear seat if you are up this way anytime let me know .

Well here we are again! Absolutely nothing to report, it just keeps going!
HOWEVER my wretched Grandson has decided that he is "not ready to drive yet!" so the 3 door 1242cc S reg. 60 in fashionable flat white paint is surplus to requirements and cluttering up the drive. I will miss it's cheeky dashing about & will miss it as a tow car for when I go get the next Austin Seven! First one (1929 RK saloon) is going well now.
Any one wanting to know about it can follow this thread!
sited in Stratford upon Avon, will drive anywhere. Make me a sensible offer
27000 or so miles, MOT to December. Only faults: antenna hanging on by a whisker, Interior lights need sorting.
If I don't get a decent offer I will hide it & keep it!

stick an ad in the classified chap, and put some pics up, I don't think you have ever actually posted a picture of it yet...
I will wait for a dry day (mind you, paint always looks better wet!) and do just that!
D

you don't have to tell me that lol... my suzuki looks epic when wet, just looks flat and pink when dry :ROFLMAO:
Gave it a good wash yesterday & went & collected the paper. What a good little car it is! Maybe I'll keep it anyway, it tows an Austin seven on a trailer very well & if I sold it it it would hardly cover the cost of putting a tow-bar on my modern!
now where can I park it!
D

Re: Low mileage 60Shttp://i.fiatcdn.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Gave it a good wash yesterday & went & collected the paper. What a good little car it is! Maybe I'll keep it anyway, it tows an Austin seven on a trailer very well & if I sold it it it would hardly cover the cost of putting a tow-bar on my modern!
now where can I park it!
D
Haven't been here for a while as nothing to report! The 60s just starts every time & goes where it is supposed to!
However I cannot move for cars (both the Austin Sevens are here!) so the 60S really has to go...6 months MOT & tax. 27000 or so miles ...I'll take some flattering photos & put it in the classifieds (sniff, sniff!) tomorrow.
David

At last in the Classifieds here & on Pistonheads!
David
Well, no takers so the car went up to Manchester with (another) grandson, but insurance is prohibitive long term (24 y/o 5 years licence no points, 3yr NCB £650!) So the car is back with me (drove back like a dream) for use as a runabout (£180 insurance!)
Now the electronic speedo has stopped (so has the rear wiper, but that can wait!) ...Hit the dash & it worked for a bit, but has really given up now.
I think I will take the instrument panel out (2 screws? sounds easy per Haynes....) label everything & spray some contact cleaner around...unless anyone has a good/better idea. I don't think it is the other end because the dashboard thump worked.
Is this a good idea, or will I end up with nothing working?
Mrs H's Cabrio is running really well tho'

Took the Instrument panel out (easy) cleaned up the contacts....no sign of a problem....put it all back....Zilch!
Now checking the wires down to the sensor...there is one dodgy looking (original) connector in the run of wires, so have done the wiggle test, sprayed it with WD40 (& the sensor) See if that does anything. Rear washer tube re-connected, now why doesn't the wiper work....!
banghead.gif

Oh & the screen cracked in a bizarre upside down "U" on the way from Manchester.
D

Back