Technical Loud sharp noise, almost whiney

Currently reading:
Technical Loud sharp noise, almost whiney

josh180984

Recentley ive been getting a realy loud whiney type noise from what sounds like one of the front wheels, im not entirely sure it is the wheels as it only happens when im driving and is difficult to pinpoint. What i do know is this, it doesnt happen when i brake and it doesnt happen all the time, its not a constant noise its on and off, i want to say brakes rubbing but i realy dont know and it seems to be louder than that.

ANY IDEAS GUYS?

Cheers!!

sorry.. i've no idea - you could take the wheel off an make shure there's nothing wrong with brakes (and have a good look about..) or just jack up that coarner and spin the wheel

you might just need new pads..

Last edited:
something else with the pads is on the originals there was a plate on the back, on my car ive transferred these plates from the pads each time ive done a pad change (number 4 last month). without the plate i found they did squeek. but on our new mw the orignals were long gone, the brakes were also squeeking on there, so i put some copper silp on the back of the pads (not the friction side) and this has stopped the squeeking as well.
roy

...without the plate i found they did squeek. but on our new mw the orignals were long gone, the brakes were also squeeking on there, so i put some copper silp on the back of the pads (not the friction side) and this has stopped the squeeking as well.
roy
I think you'll find it's only temporary Roy.

That backing pad seems critical on pads and in fact I'm so fed with squealing pads (my EBC pads only squeal once in a while - but that's still too much for me :mad:) that I'm going back to oem originals on my next change.

pad plate? never seen it on mine (no one touched my brakes but me.. from new.. so it never had them) OEM pads do come with a thick layer of adhesive heat resistant compound on the back (and no they never squealed)

OEM pads do come with a thick layer of adhesive heat resistant compound on the back (and no they never squealed)
That's what we mean (y)

When I complained to EBC they sent me some backing material (you must cut it to fit) which made an improvement - but still not as good as oem in terms of brake squeal reduction :(

Try bending the disc back plate away from the disc a little, they sometimes get a knock and touch the back of the disc sounds very much as you describe.
Good luck.

Hello, sorry ive taken a while responding just got back from holiday. The car squeak is getting worse, its the rear passenger side wheel and it does it when turning left only, after a long motorway trip it was silly loud then it dissapeared it came back again after 10 miles today then went away... strange.... any ideas??

CHEERS

You haven't said what you've checked yet :confused:

If you know for certain which wheel is making the noise then I'd get it looked at quick - if you don't want to be bothered yourself

Hi I am new to the forum.

I having the exact same noise problems 04 plate 1.4 AC Stilo.

I thought it may be a brake problem or suspension, but just had pads changed at a garage, also asked them twice to check but could not trace the problem.

On Monday the front driver side coil spring snapped, extendeded warranty ran out 30th June OUCH!(n). New spring fitted and noise still there.

Noticed the noise was really loud on motorway driving the other day:confused:.

If you trace the problem please let me know as it is driving me round the bend.

Many thanks.

At last the garage has traced the noise to the driver side rear brake calipar. They have said the piston is slightly seizing and causing the resulting noise.
They have said a new calipar required, the pads and disks are still good though.:rolleyes:

At last the garage has traced the noise to the driver side rear brake calipar. They have said the piston is slightly seizing and causing the resulting noise.
They have said a new calipar required, the pads and disks are still good though.:rolleyes:
Are you sure it's not simply the rear caliper bolt slides?

Very common to seize on the rear and should be easy to fix.

Before you get a ne caliper try and get the piston rewound and lubed and see how you get on............I had the same problem on both n/s and o/s rear o/s was busted completely but n/s was fine just needed to be wound back in. it's been fine since

Back