Technical Loud clicking!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Loud clicking!!!

jmcw83

My 2003 1.9 Doblo will not start. There is a rapid clicking noise coming from the glow plug relay, can anyone help? I'm a complete novice btw, but I'm an experienced boiler technician so I am definitely up for the challenge!
Cheers
John

and its not the starter clicking because of battery being low on power, have you tried jump leads?

don't think so, I will try jump leads but I'm 99% sure the clicking is coming from the relay.
Cheers

tried jump leads but still no joy, clicking is definitely coming from the relay, maybe I should just replace the relay, glow plugs or both? I think battery is fine as all dash lights come on (including GP light) but won't turn over!! please help!

had a problem uploading video! If I put jump leads on battery from my car will this charge battery? I have tried this already for about 10 mins and didn't work. headlights stay on but are very weak.

The stronger higher voltage battery will charge the flatter battery but jump leads are a very harsh and uncontrolled way of doing it that puts both batterys under stress and risk of plate warping damage, heat buildup. Far kinder to charge the battery using a proper battery charger at a low rate say 2-6amps overnight. Sometimes batterys just die and wont recharge. If the battery is over 5 years old sometimes its better just to replace it as it will die at an inconvenient time.

will try that, prob just replace battery, thanks a lot for the advice, will let u know how I get on.

will try that, prob just replace battery, thanks a lot for the advice, will let u know how I get on.

It does sound to me as if maybe a cell had died in your battery, but before you buy a new one, ask around to see if you can't borrow one that you know is good and swap it out and try it.

Lotta money only to find out it's something else... ;)

To add... have you checked the main earth strap from the battery to the front of the engine block?

If you haven't, then do before you buy a battery. Get under it and *really* yank it about and make sure it hasn't dry-jointed or frayed through around the "solder cup" of the connector then crimp the cup to it for good measure.

I've got a charger on it now so I'll check it in the morning, cheers

Back