Technical Loud ticking noise 2008 1.9 diesel multijet - lifter tick?

Currently reading:
Technical Loud ticking noise 2008 1.9 diesel multijet - lifter tick?

fletcher7751

Hi all
My Dobby started making a loud ticking noise from the engine, similar to the noise l had eleven months ago when the crankshaft pulley failed.
The frequency is relative to the engine speed, when changing gear the noise stops, but the engine speed has reduced to tickover, when gear engaged again, the noise is back.
Thinking it was the pulley failing again l took it back to the garage, who have been good in the past, and after looking at it said the pulley and timing belt were fine - timing belt, water pump and tensioner all done 30,000 miles ago, crankshaft pulley 8,000 miles.
They think the noise is from the camshaft area and suspect a valve lifter and are going to do an oil flush and change with filter tomorrow as the first option to see if that helps.
I've found "lifter tick" online but can't find anything on this engine.
I can't find anything in the forum about this either, how common it may be and remedies.
Generally, l've seen some oil additives to deal with lifter tick, has anybody experience with these, and if so which one is recommended?
Looking to try Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter treatment tomorrow whether the oil flush and change has cured it or not.
Dependent on the cost of replacing all lifters with labour, the poor old Dobby might not survive.
Any trusted Indy in Nhants or Bedford?
Any advice or guidance greatly received
Thanks

Forgot to ask, does the camshaft have to be removed to change them???
Hi all
My Dobby started making a loud ticking noise from the engine, similar to the noise l had eleven months ago when the crankshaft pulley failed.
The frequency is relative to the engine speed, when changing gear the noise stops, but the engine speed has reduced to tickover, when gear engaged again, the noise is back.
Thinking it was the pulley failing again l took it back to the garage, who have been good in the past, and after looking at it said the pulley and timing belt were fine - timing belt, water pump and tensioner all done 30,000 miles ago, crankshaft pulley 8,000 miles.
They think the noise is from the camshaft area and suspect a valve lifter and are going to do an oil flush and change with filter tomorrow as the first option to see if that helps.
I've found "lifter tick" online but can't find anything on this engine.
I can't find anything in the forum about this either, how common it may be and remedies.
Generally, l've seen some oil additives to deal with lifter tick, has anybody experience with these, and if so which one is recommended?
Looking to try Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter treatment tomorrow whether the oil flush and change has cured it or not.
Dependent on the cost of replacing all lifters with labour, the poor old Dobby might not survive.
Any trusted Indy in Nhants or Bedford?
Any advice or guidance greatly received
Thanks
Just seen on eper the tappets on this engine are buckets and shims, not hydraulic, can anybody confirm please - 2008 105 1.9 Mulitjet

Gasses passing by an injector seat seal can sound like a tick. Have a look . Spray some water around injector bases if possible the water helps show up any leaning gasses.

Thanks for your replies guys, it's more of a loud tapping......very loud....pedestrians look to see what the noise is!
I took it back to where l had a new crankshaft pully last Dec, the noise was the same to me, but the garage have looked for other causes, and that's still ongoing. They said today that they had found an idler that was suspect so they have turned it backwards and it made a difference, though it didn't stop. They've ordered a new idler to fit on Friday, saying parts are scarce
I collected it this afternoon cos l needed it tonight, the cabin smelled like the engine had been cooked, not happy.
I'll look in the Mulitpla (thanks V) and see if there is a guide on changing the c/shaft pulley and l can do that before Friday just to eliminate it
How can l make sure l get the right one, seems to be quite a few????
My vin isn't recognised on eper.
VIN plate says it's a B233B1000 engine
Thanks again for the replies
PS I don't want t to die yet!

Whilst i had it l jacked it up took off the os wheel and the noise was clearly coming from the cs pulley, the second garage changed it and it's fine now, second time they've helped , Merlln Autotech in Wellingborough, thanks Dean
As others have reported there was no visible damage to the wheel or rubber centre mount, but the noise was clearly from there

Confused at what the first garage had been doing l downloaded the dashcam footage, absolutely shocking

The car was taken to a different workshop some 400m away - that was the test drive - and it was left idling and revved to around 3000 in cycles for over an hour, on two days, no wonder it was cooked. That was bad enough to me, but then the guy doing it said to another there "Oh f......g hell, ive got to put it on the ramp again. Don't know whether to waste my f.....g time on this one of that" pointing to another car

The owner also said at one time "the oil probably hasn't been changed in ten years"
If he had looked at the dipstick he would have seen it was pretty new, changed nine months 6500 miles ago
Some "investigation" they were carrying out

I have let the first garage know that l was shocked at what l saw, and that the cs pulley was the cause and it has been changed
As a result, I flushed the engine changed oil and filter, and pollen filter which stunk

A lesson learnt, l do all my own repairs except the timing belt - and as the serpentine belt is close didn't do the cs pulley in case it broke and wrecked the engine

I'll carry on doing my own where l can but if l can't then it's over to the garage l know l can trust

Thanks for all the replies

Back