Technical Loss of power/change gear light

Currently reading:
Technical Loss of power/change gear light

French Connection

I wonder if anyone has had the same symptoms to help me narrow down the cause of our evolving problem with our 2015 Ducato/Challenger, caused originally, I believe, by dirty fuel and which seems to be linked to the 'change gear' light, in some way.

At anywhere between 300km and 100km intervals there is a loss of power at about 2,000rpm, almost like hitting the speed-limiter, change down to get above this and the power and response is still there. No codes, no limp mode and back to normal after a couple of hours stop. At some time before this the 'change down' light might illuminate, despite the engine pulling strongly uphill at about 2,000rpm with very obviously no need for a gearchange.

A Fiat Professional garage has run full diagnostics and found nothing amiss.

Background history, long story short. Due to unavoidable circumstances I let the fuel level fall to almost empty immediately before a fuel filter change and then had to fill up at a commercial pump. Various EMLs, 'check fuel filter' warnings (replacement filter changed under warranty) and limp modes later the messages changed to EGR flow codes. Each EML/limp mode usual accompanied by a 'change up' light when you obviously needed to change down! Clearing the codes got us back on the road and a dose of Bardahl EGR valve cleaner has moved us on to the current situation.

Has anyone experienced anything like this please?

Pull tank and pump and clean , whilst apart blow thro fuel lines to clear any water /debris/ algae , check filter again and possible replace, then reassemble . Careful if you have the Ufi plastic filter housing as is known to be a swine to undo/seal and very prone to cracking and leaking .

Back