Technical Still not solved loss of power issue

Currently reading:
Technical Still not solved loss of power issue

Cochyn1

Hi all, Still not sorted out the loss of power in ourNexxo t660. Changed the turbo booster today as a first cheap fix, no change, still struggling to get up hills compared to previously. Will change EGR next.
Funny thing happened when we parked up after going for a spin and wondering if it's linked. Father in law asked me to give it a rev and it would only go up to about 2800 rpm and no higher. I put the clutch in and let it go and then rit evved extremely powerfully. Going to take it for another spin tomorrow and do this first in case it resets something?? Clutching at straws!! Anyone know if this happens for a reason.
Another post said due to water coming in through the connection in the middle of the scuttle this can impact the TPS electrical connections. We tried to fix this a couple of weeks ago but loads of water on the engine again but it had dried when we got back and under cover til tomorrow when we can put more sealant in the gap. Anyone got any ideas about the TPS electrical issues and any fixes? Many thanks in advance-diolch, Daf

I dont know if this is helpful but I had a 1,6D turbo D Bravo. It went into limp home due to failed EGR valve. You can try EGR cleaner spray - with care. In the end I changed the EGR and it was fine. You would probaly have a stored code in the ECU.
I had a Golf doing similar that was the variable vein turbo sticking very slightly with the same result. Soot and wear in combo were to blame That has no lights on the dash just loss of power.

I dont know if this is helpful but I had a 1,6D turbo D Bravo. It went into limp home due to failed EGR valve. You can try EGR cleaner spray - with care. In the end I changed the EGR and it was fine. You would probaly have a stored code in the ECU.
I had a Golf doing similar that was the variable vein turbo sticking very slightly with the same result. Soot and wear in combo were to blame That has no lights on the dash just loss of power.
Cheers. First garage I went to said EGR was clean so wasn't an issue but Fiat dealer said it could be a faulty EGR after cleaning the manifold me without any change in performance - for £750!

Hi all, Still not sorted out the loss of power in ourNexxo t660. Changed the turbo booster today as a first cheap fix, no change, still struggling to get up hills compared to previously. Will change EGR next.
Funny thing happened when we parked up after going for a spin and wondering if it's linked. Father in law asked me to give it a rev and it would only go up to about 2800 rpm and no higher. I put the clutch in and let it go and then rit evved extremely powerfully. Going to take it for another spin tomorrow and do this first in case it resets something?? Clutching at straws!! Anyone know if this happens for a reason.
Another post said due to water coming in through the connection in the middle of the scuttle this can impact the TPS electrical connections. We tried to fix this a couple of weeks ago but loads of water on the engine again but it had dried when we got back and under cover til tomorrow when we can put more sealant in the gap. Anyone got any ideas about the TPS electrical issues and any fixes? Many thanks in advance-diolch, Daf
@Cochyn1 ,

1. It does not help to get replies, if you do not at least inform the forum as to which engine you are discussing. The conversion model is not a substitute, and does not help.
2. It seems from the thread title that you have previously posted on the same subject. It is good forum practice to stick to one thread for a particular problem. This has obvious advantages.
3. While your main problem seems to be EGR related, I am wondering if the cause of your "Funny thing happened......" could be related to a sticking clutch pedal sensor (switch). If sticking, it would make the ECU think that you were changing gear.

@Cochyn1 ,

1. It does not help to get replies, if you do not at least inform the forum as to which engine you are discussing.
2. It seems from the thread title that you have previously posted on the same subject. It is good forum practice to stick to one thread for a particular problem. This has obvious advantages.
3. While your main problem seems to be EGR related, I am wondering if the cause of your "Funny thing happened......" could be related to a sticking clutch pedal sensor (switch). If sticking, it would make the ECU think that you were changing gear.
Many thanks-wasn't aware and will do next time I post. It's a 2.3 130bhp. Many thanks for the suggestion

Hi

I suspect that the ECU is programmed to limit the maximum RPM in neutral, so that behaviour may be irrelevant.

If you are in intentional restricted power/limp home mode you would also expect the engine management light to be illuminated and there to be a stored fault code(s).

Alternatively, something is preventing full airflow and/or full turbo boost. Look for any restriction to airflow throughout the intake air circuit. Some folks have even reported problems from mice chewing the air filter and the debris being sucked in further. A throttle body (TB) butterfly which doesn't open fully when it should will restrict maximum airflow. The TB is used as part of the EGR process but is a different thing to the EGR valve proper (which controls exhaust gas), sometimes people misname them. Also, look for any air leaks downstream of the turbo i.e. where the intake tract has positive pressure when on boost. Unfortunately, revving the engine without any load won't produce any turbo boost for this test, the engine has to be doing some appreciable work for that to happen.

Hi

I suspect that the ECU is programmed to limit the maximum RPM in neutral, so that behaviour may be irrelevant.

If you are in intentional restricted power/limp home mode you would also expect the engine management light to be illuminated and there to be a stored fault code(s).

Alternatively, something is preventing full airflow and/or full turbo boost. Look for any restriction to airflow throughout the intake air circuit. Some folks have even reported problems from mice chewing the air filter and the debris being sucked in further. A throttle body (TB) butterfly which doesn't open fully when it should will restrict maximum airflow. The TB is used as part of the EGR process but is a different thing to the EGR valve proper (which controls exhaust gas), sometimes people misname them. Also, look for any air leaks downstream of the turbo i.e. where the intake tract has positive pressure when on boost. Unfortunately, revving the engine without any load won't produce any turbo boost for this test, the engine has to be doing some appreciable work for that to happen.
Many thanks for those suggestions. Will have a go tomorrow 👍🏼

@Cochyn1 ,

1. It does not help to get replies, if you do not at least inform the forum as to which engine you are discussing. The conversion model is not a substitute, and does not help.
@Cochyn1 It is also very useful to state the year of manufacture if known (especialy with motorhomes) and the Fiat designation eg x290 or x250 normaly got from the vin number.
I was hoping to find some other clues looking at your previous posts.

@Cochyn1 It is also very useful to state the year of manufacture if known (especialy with motorhomes) and the Fiat designation eg x290 or x250 normaly got from the vin number.
I was hoping to find some other clues looking at your previous posts.
Hi, 2011. Sorry away at the moment so don't know designation sorry!

from previous we know that you need to confirm the EGR is working, and vacuum applied from vacuum solenoid , good pipework. The throttle body is also known to be suseptible to scuttle related corrosion and electrical fail and theres likely therse a lot of carbon about. Taking @Anthony489 mention of rodents causing grief to the extreame i once saw a you tube video about a MAP sensor giving daft results (thus daft turbo reactions) because of a crusty spider on the sensor. (not likely to be top of list)

Given up for now as have been recommended a couple of lads who work from home and who are supposedly spot on at diagnosing issues so taking it to them in the new year so fingers crossed and hopefully be able to let you guys know what the problem was! Thanks for all the helpful suggestions

Back