General Looking to buy new car need advice...

Currently reading:
General Looking to buy new car need advice...

Hey there, I am looking to upgrade my classic '96 punto 55s and had seen a car but after reading some issues with earlier puntos I thought I'd ask some advice. I have seen a nice 3 dr black 2006 1.4 active sport going for roughly £5k, 10k miles, one lady owner, looks the part (the car not the lady) but it has no service history. Now, if the car is OK that shouldn't be a problem(?). However, if there are any of the issues I have seen listed on this site with the earlier models should this be a major concern? The 2 year warranty has just passed and the dealer has said he would give me the third year but he is not Fiat and may not know the things to look for. Can I still take this to Fiat to be looked at for recalls or such? Otherwise I may look at new one with 5 years interest free. Are the 07's and 08's much better than 06's? Any thoughts? Sorry to seem clueless, I work in IT, 4 f*&$ng wheels and a seat you know? Thanks

Last edited:
Buy a new one - they've had all the issues sorted out - try and go for at least the 1.4 16 valve engine it's much better for the size of the car and now u get a 5 year warranty aswell :)
fiatsupasaver.com
broadspeed.com

recalls want be any problem at all and when you are the registered owner of the car you would be notified by post if there is any outstanding recalls on your car and the work is free of charge! although the manufactors warrenty will definetly be void! Mind you that only last two years and the third year is supplied by the dealership that supplies the car.. so it sounds like you get an alright deal! What type of cover is the garage offering you? is it limited mileage? what does it included, major parts only? most private garage warrenty you have to pay the first X amount aswell! How much is X?

For piece of mind personally if you were going for this car i would get it a major service from day one to be on the safe side (y)

here is a link to known faults and recalls thread:
https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-technical/89495-recalls-known-fault-issues.html

take a look at the above and keep an eye out. Nothing major there though!

and if you go for a new model, as you say there offering 0% interest which is great. Plus if you get a series II which has just been launched. Basically identical to the series I, bar minor cosmetic changes :rolleyes: they give you 5 years warrenty is something to think about! If that gives you peace of mind. Although most of the "cheaper" deals from the above links will be pre registered series I cars so only your three years warrenty. Personally id pay that little extra and go to the dealer ;)

And engine choice is down to your own perference, id say try the 1.9 mjtd engine, its the first diesel ive brought and is a delight to drive! Try a few a few different variants and see what you think.. personally i wouldnt go any lower than the 1.4 (8v/16v) as the grande is quite a heavy little bugger :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys ,

I am going to look at it today and find out what the dealer will offer on the 3rd year, am sure he mentioned he would pick it up and didn't mention limitations.
Regarding just buying a new one, I have a budget so would probably only be able to get the new basic model as opposed to the sport one.
As I mentioned my main issue here is the fact it hasn't been serviced for 2 years at all. That's just careless by the previous owner and the dealer said he would give it a thorough one but still.
I tried adding a link but I haven't posted enough.
Should i maybe even leave it a few weeks as more people trade in for newer models?
Thanks

ta again is actually 15k, oops. still under the service level so I still feel kinda ok about. Spoke to Fiat dealer and they don't have anything, the new equivalent is just too darned pricey! Will update. Thanks

Just back from dealer. Car looks sweet! Just a couple of minor scratches, few nicks on the wheels. Had a wee drive and tho it felt a tad gravelly when accelerating I put that down to it being a slightly more meaty engine than is in the 55s :p Otherwise very nice drive. And BIG. So much bigger than the classic sleek lines of the 55s.
It did have a pre sale service and a 1st year service. Just missed this years so dealer will do that for me.
So it was £5295, he's taking my old car for £295(bonus as I paid £500 for it 5 yrs ago!), leaving 5k. On that I am getting the car, 6 months tax, MOT until next year, full standard service as above and 1 years warranty from the dealer with no excess.
Once I have posted 5 times I will put up the advert. Tho am sure you all know what a 1.4 in black looks like (y)
On a sidenote, I am feeling pangs of sadness about getting rid of my old car. It's my first car, we've been through a lot together. I swore at it a lot but it was still my main way of getting from a to b. Is there a section on the forum where I can get some help with this??:cry:

Thanks again

I have seen a nice 3 dr black 2006 1.4 active sport going for roughly £5k, 10k miles, one lady owner, looks the part (the car not the lady) but it has no service history. Now, if the car is OK that shouldn't be a problem(?)
Whilst I agree if the car is OK and the dealer gives you a warranty you should be OK you still should get the fact it doesn't have full service history reflected in price as £5295 seems to be over the top for that car as it is. When you come to sell it any dealer is going to mark the price down heavily if the servicing hasn't been kept up, have a look at the autotrader website to see what others are up for and use your judgement based on that, there are plenty of GP's around for sale so don't be afraid to walk away if you are having doubts, another will come up very soon

Ta again,

While I too was sceptical, the salesman gave me wrong info first time i called. The pre-sales service was done by fiat, the 1st year was done by fiat, only this service will be done by other dealer so service history will be complete.
Pricewise it seems ok. There are others at slightly higher price and further away but don't fancy bright red or blue, or driving to London to pick up a car.
Ah fekk it it's mainly done now. Am sure it will be ace!
If anything needs doing at this service they will use fiat parts and I won't be charged a penny. Also recently passed MOT.
can't post pics now as the ad is gone
Sweet!
Thanks again guys

Ta again,

While I too was sceptical, the salesman gave me wrong info first time i called. The pre-sales service was done by fiat, the 1st year was done by fiat, only this service will be done by other dealer so service history will be complete.
Pricewise it seems ok. There are others at slightly higher price and further away but don't fancy bright red or blue, or driving to London to pick up a car.
Ah fekk it it's mainly done now. Am sure it will be ace!
If anything needs doing at this service they will use fiat parts and I won't be charged a penny. Also recently passed MOT.
can't post pics now as the ad is gone
Sweet!
Thanks again guys
That's great if it has fsh then, it was only if it had missing history I thought it too high, also if they do service to Fiat standard the Fiat warrenty should be OK although you will need to pay Fiat £25 to transfer it, there will be a coupon at rear of service book.
It shouldn't need an MOT untill it is 3 years old, good luck with car, a great choice:)

Back