General Looking to buy a Fiat Ritmo 1.4L Sport

Currently reading:
General Looking to buy a Fiat Ritmo 1.4L Sport

You really dont like Fiat do you? :p

So if I left my choice soley up to you, you would say don't buy a Fiat yes?

Just to stir something else into the mix... Ateco is a NEW ZEALAND company... yes, our FIAT importer decided to re-introduce FIAT across the ditch :devil: I wonder how you feel about Kiwi businesses in Oz! ;) 'The Warehouse' is a huge success here, total flop over there. And remember Ansett? :chin:

I think it would be safest to buy a manual-transmission FIAT rather than Selespeed/Dualogic. Other than that, there may be other random faults (just as for many other new cars). I suggest that a Road Trip to Sydney is a brave way to buy one (is there not a closer dealer in Brisbane - bear in mind my geography's not good), as you may have to make a few return visits!

Think of it this way. If you don't buy it, and get something else, you'll be wondering what you've missed. If you do buy it, and it gives a stream of problems, well, you'll be expecting it. I reckon you should just go for it and find out how it goes.

Cheers,
-Alex

Last edited:
You really dont like Fiat do you? :p

That's probably a too-strong of a word - put it this way - I'm disappointed with my experiences so far.

So if I left my choice soley up to you, you would say don't buy a Fiat yes?

Based on my experiences so far, I would say no.

Having said that, its your money, your decision, and at the end you'll have to accept the consequences, whether they're good or bad.

I think it would be safest to buy a manual-transmission FIAT rather than Selespeed/Dualogic.

Can't really argue against that ;)

alexgs: I think you misunderstood... I live on the gold coast and will be buying it from southport (5min drive down the road). Once I get it however my woman and I are looking at doing a road trip to sydney like we did back in 2002 in my Fiat Croma.

:)

All the auto's I've had ive always wanted to convert back to a manual, which is why I have no interest in these 'selespeed' and other fancy half manual half auto gear boxes. Frankly all the auto gear boxes in car's ive had have turned out to be more painfull than the manual gearbox in my Fiat Regata 85-S which only ever needed a new clutch once in the 3 years I drove it. That lil regata was excellent, only had 2 recurring problems... 1) Altinator, 2) Overheating. Other than that it just worked and was a top lil car, took a thrashing and kept on going.

The Croma only ever had Gearbox, Overheating & Altinator problems problems.... both recurring. Altho the altinator i killed with the stereo setup I think... lol.

The Ritmo im buying will be staying stock, untill the warranty runs out then I will look at adding the stereo and subs etc... Dont wanna void the warranty :p As I know with a Fiat i'll most likely need it at some stage :ROFLMAO:.

The other thing is I know all cars have their faults... I've yet to see a 'perfect' vehicle that only ever needs a service once every year. Its just the way things are because companies are tryin to release new models each year. Imagine if they had just focused on one or two models and perfected them to a 99.99% opperational status where that remaining .01% was that it just had to be serviced.

Thing is moving parts wear, vibrations break things down, the heat cooks things... Its just the way it is. Altho I dont expect the motor to die or it to rust in the first 5 years lol

Last edited:
Ateco NZ is subsidiary of Ateco Automotive, which is actually an Australian company. Neville Crichton is the owner.

Troy.

Thank you for the correction.

This is where I was getting my information from:
http://www.fiat.co.nz/default.aspx?MenuId=99
It appears to suggest that Neville Crichton is a Kiwi, and certainly the Australian re-introduction of FIAT was after several years of Ateco in NZ. But I guess Ateco was Australian all along, then. Prior to Ateco, Azzura Automotive was the importer here and I thought they were an NZ company. I might be getting mixed up with them.

NoRC: I'm pleased you're buying local (y)
Hope you'll update this thread with pictures of the new arrival!

-Alex

Last edited:
I can't believe i read them all lol.... took me a few hours hahaha.

Found out something interesting the Ritmo is to be serviced every 20,000k... oil change every 20,000k... man im used to car repairs/oil changes every 5,000k lol.
According to Fiat, first service for the Bravo is 30,000km with some consumables having a time constraint aswell!

According to Fiat, first service for the Bravo is 30,000km with some consumables having a time constraint aswell!

I think this depends on the market where it is being sold. My manual does say 30.000 km / 1 Year whichever comes first. (Denmark/Europe)

This is where I was getting my information from:
http://www.fiat.co.nz/default.aspx?MenuId=99
It appears to suggest that Neville Crichton is a Kiwi, and certainly the Australian re-introduction of FIAT was after several years of Ateco in NZ. But I guess Ateco was Australian all along, then. Prior to Ateco, Azzura Automotive was the importer here and I thought they were an NZ company. I might be getting mixed up with them.

Yes, Neville Crichton is originally from NZ.

http://www.alfaromeo.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=387

I have heard Ateco have had the rights to import Fiat since 1997 or so (they started importing Alfa Romeo into Aust in 1998), yet it took them until 2006 to start selling them here. They had been importing Citroen since the mid 90's, they also used to Kia, but Kia took over the distributing them selves. They are also doing Ferrari and Maserati here. Now they are trying to bring in Chinese cars.

It looks like Ateco took over NZ importing of Fiat/Alfa from Azzura in 2000.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_531...omeo-and-Fiat-in-New-Zealand/newsarticle.html

Troy.

Yes, Neville Crichton is originally from NZ.

http://www.alfaromeo.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=387

I have heard Ateco have had the rights to import Fiat since 1997 or so (they started importing Alfa Romeo into Aust in 1998), yet it took them until 2006 to start selling them here. They had been importing Citroen since the mid 90's, they also used to Kia, but Kia took over the distributing them selves. They are also doing Ferrari and Maserati here. Now they are trying to bring in Chinese cars.

It looks like Ateco took over NZ importing of Fiat/Alfa from Azzura in 2000.

http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_531...omeo-and-Fiat-in-New-Zealand/newsarticle.htmlTroy.

Thank you - that's much clearer now (y)
It seems our friend Neville has jumped the ditch several times!

The articles are interesting as they fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Basically, I was wrong to think that Ateco Australia was a subsidiary of Ateco NZ, as it is obviously the other way around, as you said. Thanks again.

-Alex

Ritmo 1.4L T-Jet Sport
Factory Sunroof
Pearlescent Crossover Black Paint
$35,000 Drive Away

Picking it up Tuesday all going well.

Last edited:
Interesting how the Punto & Ritmo are drive-away, but not the 500 :chin:

Unless I'm driving through the wrong area each day (through central CBD), sales appears to be pretty poor as I haven't seen a single Ritmo or 500 in motion.

Supply of 500's is tight, and it is outselling the Punto and Ritmo, so I don't they will be in a hurry to discount it. I haven't seen any Ritmo's or 500's on the road either, but I have been seeing more Punto's.

I am actually quite surprised they have started discounting the Ritmo so quickly. I would have expected they would given it more than a few months.

Troy.

I've seen a silver Ritmo on the Gold Coast, with NSW number plates. It was the emotion tho, not the sport.

A few people I know are rather keen on them, my uncle & my father. Both their first cars in New Zealand were Fiats. They didn't even know Fiat was selling passenger vehicles again they only knew of the Commercial vehicles.

Just found the price list i downloaded a month ago and the prices havnt changed... still the same as they was then. I think they are just sayin its a sale etc... cause they havnt actually changed.

I think they are just sayin its a sale etc... cause they havnt actually changed.

Ahh.. Marketing 101 in action - just put up large SALE signs and naive customers come flocking in :rolleyes:

Back