General Long Term "review"

Currently reading:
General Long Term "review"

Ah but that's just the point - you have a 1.2 - the same tank in a 1.4 driven to keep up with open-road traffic (7.4L/100km) will only do about 420km. There are parts of NZ's south island where you have to take a long hard look at those little LCD segments (the ones divided into two) and think, am I going to risk it, given that it's probably 100km to the next petrol station...

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the 6.3L/100km average in my 156 and the 70 litre fuel tank, giving a range of 1000km. I should point out that despite that huge tank I've still run out of petrol twice, because the gauge never actually reaches 0 and the estimated range is hopelessly optimistic before it disappears altogether (it disappears when it drops below 50; runs dry about 30km later, which is about 50km after it said 150km). I've never run out of petrol in any other car!

The trip computer in the 500 seems accurate and honest.

-Alex

If I'm doing a round trip on a 500 1.4 I would get 300 miles (480km) from a tank before the 'distance' goes out. The US 500 do have bigger tanks at 40L compared with 35L but as Maxi has already indicated you have the 'neck' of the tank which can take some extra. I did once consider carrying a spare can in the back but resisted it. More fuel is more weight and it can effect performance not to mention safety. Hate to think what a A500 gets when it's pedal to the metal.

The 1.4 does have a lovely gruff sound and nice response to having a few more revs on the clock. In 'Sport' mode it takes off like a rocket. I do like it and will consider your advice about the air induction systems. The roads are not dusty in NZ (much too damp for that!) but at the same time, the standard setup is probably fine for me.

I did wrap the top of the manifold with ceramic tape but with limited success. I ended putting the airbox back in - it seemed to keep the engine bay a little cooler. Ideally I would have perferred to replace the manifold with either a janspeed or supersprint and re-position the cat further down - then wrapping would have been more successful. Noticed that heat in the engine bay affected the CAI. But if you going to keep it standard I would find it hard to resist a cotton gauze filter so at least you feel you've done something.:)

Back