General Fiat 500 Twinair - 12 Month Review

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 Twinair - 12 Month Review

plasma99

Hi. Most people come on these forums when they have a problem with their car but I just wanted to take the opportunity to say how pleased I am with mine. I purchased a 2015 Fiat 500 Twinair last year and have completed about 5000 miles in it. I have a large 2 litre diesel as my main car but really wanted a runabout that I could use around town dropping off/picking up kids, going to the supermarket etc. I purchased a 500 mainly because it looks so good and wasn’t too concerned about the engine. However, one test drive of a twinair converted me and I only considered that engine afterwards. My ownership experience has been nearly all positive but I have scraped together some negatives:

Positives
1. Looks (enough said)

2. Twinair engine. Absolute delight. Plenty of poke, lovely sound. Heats up quickly which is good for small trips. Chain driven cam. Haven't needed to top up oil.

3. Solid feel to the car. Different to My 1988 Fiat Uno

4. Reliable so far.

5. Small size great for getting about and parking around town.

6. Generally Ok to work on so far.

7. Like retro cabin and instrument cluster.

Negatives
1. Handling. I’m no racing driver but I cannot help feel that the car is a little imbalanced - maybe too much weight over the front wheels. My car has an accident free history and I have changed all four tyres and had tracking done. However, It doesn’t always feel settled at higher speeds. Doesn’t affect me that much in that the majority of miles are around town. I may test drive another 500 just to compare. Never pushed it around a corner on a wet road so not sure how it would react.

2. Cost of servicing parts. Was a bit shocked by the cost of oil and spark plugs. I could only find Carlube recommending oil for the engine and that was nearly £50 per can. Spark plugs were £25. Don’t get much change from £100 for a basic DIY service.

3. I will never ever forgive Fiat for the location of the cabin filter on a RHD car.

4. Speed bumps. Car too low to straddle speed bumps so have to ride them out.

5. Keep having to reset front seat positions after someone has accessed the rear of the cabin. I’m sure there is a way around this.

6. Climate control. Not as accurate as other cars I own or have owned. Temp selection is pretty random.

Other than that, car is great.

Had ours for 18months now and agree with you totally. As for oil, Halfrauds have Petronas 7000E 0/30W C2 oil on offer at the moment. £42 IIRC.
Plugs not need changing on ours yet but maybe this service they'll get done.
Pollen filter, I didnt find too bad - definitely been in worse positions in a car.

I concur with the positive points you raise; the Twinair's a delight to own and drive.

Mine covers no more than 3000 miles a year (it's a 2013 and hasn't ticked over 20k miles yet!) so servicing is annual and not really onerous. It's not had new brake pads or even new tyres yet. The cabin air filter's been replaced once but was hardly different from the replacement.

I don't throw it about so I'm not really qualified to comment on the handling; with the 16" alloys and low profiles it's a little hard riding however - noticeably more so than my wife's Pop with the 14".

My driver's seat has 'memory' and returns to the correct setting when moved but as the (rare) back seat passenger always gets in through the passenger side, which doesn't have memory, I really wonder at the logic of it.

I fitted iridium plugs to mine, a bit more expensive but they have double the life, apparently.

I’ve had my Twinair just over a year and picked it up on the Saturday before Lockdown 1.

It had 12k on the clock and felt a bit tight still, but great fun to drive and I like the buzzy engine note. Have just ticked over 20k now and the engine has loosened up a bit and is even more of a joy to drive.

My drivers seat has the memory setting too, but I have to remember to slide the base of seat back first for it to remember.

No issues engine wise or mechanically, bar sticking rear brake pads which have been sorted. Also a split in the rear washer pipe which meant I was washing the inside of the car as well as the back window! Was able to repair this, so everything’s good and dried out now.

I get 50mpg mostly. A bit higher if I’m taking the A road route.

Is it that critical (the oil)? The one I used was CARLUBE R-TEC 8 0W-30 FULLY SYNTHETIC ACEA C2, PSA B71 2312. The CARLUBE site recommended the same oil for EURO 5 & EURO 6. Tried other makes like CASTROL but they would not recommend anything.

is it that critical (the oil)

Apparently so.

The viscosity specification changed during the production run and it's important to use the correct one for your particular car.

There have been quite a few reports of uniair actuator failure which some say may be down to use of the wrong specification and/or viscosity of oil. Current list price of the actuator alone is around £720, so not a particularly cheap repair.

If I saw a spec sheet which recommended the same oil for Euro 5 & Euro 6 versions, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Whilst I'd be happy to use just about any oil meeting specifications for the 1.2, I'd suggest sticking with the appropriate Selenia oil for the TA. The damage potential just isn't worth the cost saving.

Last edited:
“If I saw a spec sheet which recommended the same oil for Euro 5 & Euro 6 versions, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole”

Sorry, read the website wrongly. It does recommend a 5w40 grade for Euro 5 and 0w30 for Euro 6 which got me wondering what my engine actually is. I can only go my the user manual which clearly states 0w30. Interestingly, the Halfords website recommends various 5w30 oils. Some say that dealers use 5w40 in all engines. The whole thing gets curiouser and curiouser. But I’m going to take the advice and use the Fiat recommended stuff in the future.

Whats this?

A hole in your wallet waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's the piece of kit that controls inlet valve operation. Clever, but expensive if it goes wrong - and its proper operation depends on the correct oil viscosity/temperature curve, which is why it's so important to stick to the recommended oil.

If you're interested in learning more about it, have a read of the document in this post.

Last edited:
A hole in your wallet waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's the piece of kit that controls inlet valve operation. Clever, but expensive if it goes wrong

To be fair
The bill would be inline with a timing train failure on a VVT FIRE.

All 5 of my small FIATS are with timing chains... as they spend periods inactive

A problem for most cambelt systems :)

Back