General London ULEZ

Currently reading:
General London ULEZ

lukmek

Established member
Hey [emoji1423]
Any advise ??? It seem mad that old car won’t be able to go around London ..

Thinking on a LPG system..

The 2021 expansion of the ULEZ is the reason I retired my Cinq and got a 2012 Twingo a couple of years ago.
Emissions at MOT last week were:
CO 0.00%
HC 0.00%

I was hoping for a perfect 0:0:1 result, but the Lambda dropped from 1.000 to 0.999 right at the end.

The Cinq used to need to be held at high revs for quite some time to get the levels down to pass.

Older petrol cars are better off than older diesels, for example my 2011 diesel punto won’t be ULEZ compliant despite having a diesel particulate filter and is euro 5 standard.

My 2.0 litre diesel golf is and despite burning the same amount of fuel per mile and having no additions measures to limit emissions compared to the punto.

I quite often drive into London and I have friends who live just outside the north circular. In all honesty it won’t affect most people outside of London as most people would get the train in and use public transport.

It just means some more central Londoners are going to have to buy a newer car to not have to pay £12.5 a day. Older cars are still allowed if you’re willing to pay the price

It just means some more central Londoners are going to have to buy a newer car to not have to pay £12.5 a day. Older cars are still allowed if you’re willing to pay the price
We've had plenty of warning of its arrival too. Can't remember how long, but I recon over 5-years.

As you say, Petrol is a better bet than Diesel. Two work colleagues each have 2015 Diesel vans. One got his new and the other s/h (probably quite cheap), neither are ULEZ compliant ... (by about a month!).

The one that got it new probably didn't know exactly what the requirements would be or that they'd *slightly* change the emissions of the van one month after his was made :bang:.... But the one that got it s/h a couple of years ago should have checked.

We've had plenty of warning of its arrival too. Can't remember how long, but I recon over 5-years.

As you say, Petrol is a better bet than Diesel. Two work colleagues each have 2015 Diesel vans. One got his new and the other s/h (probably quite cheap), neither are ULEZ compliant ... (by about a month!).

The one that got it new probably didn't know exactly what the requirements would be or that they'd *slightly* change the emissions of the van one month after his was made :bang:.... But the one that got it s/h a couple of years ago should have checked.

Ok
But there are 1000s older car in London
Got friends with Alfas, other Fiat, minis etc
They will all be scraped for a new Ford Fiesta???

Ok
But there are 1000s older car in London
Got friends with Alfas, other Fiat, minis etc
They will all be scraped for a new Ford Fiesta???

Somewhat over dramatic.

If they live inside the ulez then chances are they are going to need a newer car, but as stated this isn’t sudden and unexpected news and has been known about for some years now. If they are diesel they need to be euro6 or newer, (post September 2015) London have a major problem with diesel emissions so it’s not a surprise.

For petrol cars it’s euro 4 standards and newer that’s cars build after 2005 so you can have 15 year old petrol cars and still meet standards.

Anything older than this is deemed too polluting and while it won’t be allowed in the ULEZ without having to pay an additional £12.5 a day, it’s still perfectly useable outside the zone which includes most of London, just not the central bits.

If it’s a perfectly good and usable car or something with historic value, then why would anyone scrap it if it can be sold outside of London.

If you did have to get a newer car, and as stated that could be something as old as 15 years with a petrol engine, then you can buy a newer Alfa or Mini, it doesn’t have to be a fiesta. :rolleyes:

Those 1000s of older cars is exactly the problem and the reason for this new rule, because the air in London can be pretty terrible most of the time

Last edited:
Somewhat over dramatic.

If they live inside the ulez then chances are they are going to need a newer car, but as stated this isn’t sudden and unexpected news and has been known about for some years now. If they are diesel they need to be euro6 or newer, (post September 2015) London have a major problem with diesel emissions so it’s not a surprise.

For petrol cars it’s euro 4 standards and newer that’s cars build after 2005 so you can have 15 year old petrol cars and still meet standards.

Anything older than this is deemed too polluting and while it won’t be allowed in the ULEZ without having to pay an additional £12.5 a day, it’s still perfectly useable outside the zone which includes most of London, just not the central bits.

If it’s a perfectly good and usable car or something with historic value, then why would anyone scrap it if it can be sold outside of London.

If you did have to get a newer car, and as stated that could be something as old as 15 years with a petrol engine, then you can buy a newer Alfa or Mini, it doesn’t have to be a fiesta. :rolleyes:

Those 1000s of older cars is exactly the problem and the reason for this new rule, because the air in London can be pretty terrible most of the time

????
You didn’t get my point at all
(I drive an i3 in London)
So you could sell the 1000s cars and pollute everywhere else but London? [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I’m thinking of 39 years old cars that have some historical interest (Fiat or not)
Everything else after 1980 and before 2005 will not be saved?? Or just pollute outside London????

��������
You didn’t get my point at all
(I drive an i3 in London)
Gotta love when people make assumptions about what I do or don't get.

Honestly if you have an i3 then you're fine carry on driving round london in your car made out of recycled materials and powered by batteries, Sadiq Khan will be happy.

But obviously with these things they are always going to have to draw the line somewhere.

So you could sell the 1000s cars and pollute everywhere else but London?

Obviously you can sell them outside of London or just scrap them, what ever the case they just want them out of London.

To clarify the answer to your incredulity is yes, yes sell them, move them out of London, that's exactly what they want.

I’m thinking of 39 years old cars that have some historical interest (Fiat or not)
Everything else after 1980 and before 2005 will not be saved?? Or just pollute outside London????

Again the powers that be in London are just trying to improve the air for the people who live there, the fate of old cars is not their priority over the costs of treating respiratory diseases and associated health problems.

If you absolutely have to drive an older, more polluting car in the ULEZ area then you just need to pay the fee.

If you want advice then move out of the ULEZ, its probably the cheapest option.

Gotta love when people make assumptions about what I do or don't get.

Honestly if you have an i3 then you're fine carry on driving round london in your car made out of recycled materials and powered by batteries, Sadiq Khan will be happy.

But obviously with these things they are always going to have to draw the line somewhere.

Obviously you can sell them outside of London or just scrap them, what ever the case they just want them out of London.

To clarify the answer to your incredulity is yes, yes sell them, move them out of London, that's exactly what they want.

Again the powers that be in London are just trying to improve the air for the people who live there, the fate of old cars is not their priority over the costs of treating respiratory diseases and associated health problems.

If you absolutely have to drive an older, more polluting car in the ULEZ area then you just need to pay the fee.

If you want advice then move out of the ULEZ, its probably the cheapest option.

?????*♂️??*♂️??*♂️

But it’s ok to pollute outside London???
It’s the cost of treating respiratory diseases outside the M25 cheaper??

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

You still don’t get my point
Never mind you must have some kind of issues with older cars

[emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423]i do not make assumptions but it’s clear from your replies you didn’t understood my question
Is there a way to make older engines compliant with ULEZ???
[emoji6]
PS: don’t bother reply you DO NOT KNOW the answer
???[emoji1422]

?????*♂️??*♂️??*♂️

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

[emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423][emoji1423]i do not make assumptions but it’s clear from your replies you didn’t understood my question
[emoji6]
???[emoji1422]
Outside London there's probably 20% of the people per sq mile and a lot less buildins to trap the pollution and a lot less traffic over all (excluding a few other city's like Birmingham and some of those are proposing there own low emission areas)

?????*♂️??*♂️??*♂️

Go look at a pollution map, Clearly you know that the pollution outside of central London isn't as much of an issue.

When you sign up to international agreements on reducing pollution its a bit embarrassing when you don't even manage to make a difference in your own capital. Honestly its about reducing emissions in one relatively small area, they are not fixing the worlds problems and as pointed out the population density is massive in that very small area and so are the emissions.

No issue with older cars at all, I live in the country where my 2011 punto is allowed without paying massive fees, which it won't be in london soon.

Also your point seems to be that you feel inconvenienced by the changes.

i do not make assumptions but it’s clear from your replies you didn’t understood my question

???
Oh I did "understood" your question, but have a look back I never set out to answer your question....

Oh and by the way there is a very obvious way around the new rules.... i'm surprised someone of your intellect has not worked it out yet?? Many owners of history vehicles have worked it out and have been sending there cars to have the necessary work done to avoid the new rules... why haven't you?

But it seems you don't want to know about it so I will leave you with the answers you already have :rolleyes:(y)

Go look at a pollution map, Clearly you know that the pollution outside of central London isn't as much of an issue.

When you sign up to international agreements on reducing pollution its a bit embarrassing when you don't even manage to make a difference in your own capital. Honestly its about reducing emissions in one relatively small area, they are not fixing the worlds problems and as pointed out the population density is massive in that very small area and so are the emissions.

No issue with older cars at all, I live in the country where my 2011 punto is allowed without paying massive fees, which it won't be in london soon.

Also your point seems to be that you feel inconvenienced by the changes.

Oh I did "understood" your question, but have a look back I never set out to answer your question....

Oh and by the way there is a very obvious way around the new rules.... i'm surprised someone of your intellect has not worked it out yet?? Many owners of history vehicles have worked it out and have been sending there cars to have the necessary work done to avoid the new rules... why haven't you?

But it seems you don't want to know about it so I will leave you with the answers you already have :rolleyes:(y)

That’s why I asked the questions..
you know the solution but won’t divulge it??
[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

And I get the environmental costs & issues but my post was about making my 1997 engine “GREENER”
[emoji1419]

you know the solution but won’t divulge it??

you told me in explicit terms not to reply, as apparently I don't know the answer.....

There are plenty of things you can do to make your engine "greener" non of them will avoid the new rules. there you are, I have answered your question, though I suspect the question was more one of how to avoid paying for ULEZ, That I suspect is the right question.

Last edited:
you told me in explicit terms not to reply, as apparently I don't know the answer.....

There are plenty of things you can do to make your engine "greener" non of them will avoid the new rules. there you are, I have answered your question, though I suspect the question was more one of how to avoid paying for ULEZ, That I suspect is the right question.

??*♂️??*♂️
Nope
You still didn’t get it...
??*♂️

?????*♂️
The question was how to make a 1997 engine cleaner..
well I think you got different views

Anyway you couldn’t answer me [emoji6][emoji1423][emoji1423]

Back