little button on ignition thing

Currently reading:
little button on ignition thing

Oooooo! Just tried it. It works on my little Panda too! I've had her 13 years and never knew that :)

I guess I should have read the manual.

Steve

Drives a Panda 1000CL [:0] but still has a sense of humour!

(I'm on [email protected] and [email protected])

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox and mouldy upholstery ;)
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

arrr now i know i have been fiddling with it wondering what it did thanks !!

Cinq Sporting//ICE-Sony M600R//10cm Kenwoods//6x9 Sony//JBL GT3-10''sub//JBL GTO2000 amp!!

hey hey...you learn something new every day!

Always wondered what the purpose of that was!

www.Mobz.2U.co.uk
Logos, Ringtones and FREE phones.

Drive it like you stole it!

Very cool. RTFM everyone!! :D

arcbanner.jpg

So over 10 years have passed, I have changed cars 4 times since I had my Cinquecento, changed countries twice, and still I have not come across a situation where I have needed to use parking lights.

They create a dilemma.

Let's imagine. Parking on a dark street.

1) You're only going in for a few minutes so don't bother with the parking lights.
2) You're parking all night, so don't want to leave the parking lights on in case they drain the battery.

Does anyone actually use them?

So over 10 years have passed, I have changed cars 4 times since I had my Cinquecento, changed countries twice, and still I have not come across a situation where I have needed to use parking lights.

They create a dilemma.

Let's imagine. Parking on a dark street.

1) You're only going in for a few minutes so don't bother with the parking lights.
2) You're parking all night, so don't want to leave the parking lights on in case they drain the battery.

Does anyone actually use them?

Hardly anyone - and yet, according to the driver's Bible...

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
  • at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)

On a lot of cars, you can put your parking lights on and then put the right hand indicator on (ignition off, obviously) and the right hand parking lights only will come on, or conversely, put the left hand indicator on and the left hand lights will come on, thus halving the amount of drain on the battery.

I once asked some friends who lived near Pisa why my Uno had lights that went off completely and he said that Italians were always in a hurry and at work, rail stations and airports left the lights on with the resultant flat battery.

I can remember my Dad buying a light that clipped onto the gutter with a white lens to one side and a red to the other and a pair of crocodile clips on wires which went under the bonnet and attached to the battery terminals. I know it sounds primitive but then his Austin A30 didn't have a radio.....thinking about it, I don't think it had a heater.

Of course we 'ad it tough. You try tellin' the young people of today that and they don't believe you.

Last edited:
A few days ago I was cleaning the floor of my Alfa GT.
I noticed a small black piece of dirt, at closer inspection, it was the small actuator mentioned above in this post, that has fallen of...
I used superglue to put it back on, but again, nearly trow it away and lost it...

On a lot of cars, you can put your parking lights on and then put the right hand indicator on (ignition off, obviously) and the right hand parking lights only will come on, or conversely, put the left hand indicator on and the left hand lights will come on, thus halving the amount of drain on the battery.

I once asked some friends who lived near Pisa why my Uno had lights that went off completely and he said that Italians were always in a hurry and at work, rail stations and airports left the lights on with the resultant flat battery.

I can remember my Dad buying a light that clipped onto the gutter with a white lens to one side and a red to the other and a pair of crocodile clips on wires which went under the bonnet and attached to the battery terminals. I know it sounds primitive but then his Austin A30 didn't have a radio.....thinking about it, I don't think it had a heater.

Of course we 'ad it tough. You try tellin' the young people of today that and they don't believe you.

hi,
those were the days Eh..!!:rolleyes:

correct with radio + heater as "options",
and "trafficators" where you had to thump the B pillar to get then out :D

I actually miss the "little button -rollback", you used it if needed..:)

not actually sure how to get parking lights on our panda.., only had it 9 years..:rolleyes: my new punto..Absolutely NO IDEA..!! has 8 different lighting buttons,and a few Menu's :eek:.
thankfully I've never been subjected to "german", and did French once..lasted 2 weeks :yuck:

always Ford or Fiat,:p
with the old Fords, you'd knock the lights on with your knee as you climbed out..:bang:Found the FIAT system far better (y)

Charlie

hi,
those were the days Eh..!!:rolleyes:

correct with radio + heater as "options",
and "trafficators" where you had to thump the B pillar to get then out :D

I actually miss the "little button -rollback", you used it if needed..:)

not actually sure how to get parking lights on our panda.., only had it 9 years..:rolleyes: my new punto..Absolutely NO IDEA..!! has 8 different lighting buttons,and a few Menu's :eek:.
thankfully I've never been subjected to "german", and did French once..lasted 2 weeks :yuck:

always Ford or Fiat,:p
with the old Fords, you'd knock the lights on with your knee as you climbed out..:bang:Found the FIAT system far better (y)

Charlie
9 years ago? If new that would have been a "new" Panda as opposed to the Classic Panda. If so, easy. Turn the engine off. All lights go off. Turn the lights off and wait for the "ping" that comes about 10 seconds after the ignition goes off. Then turn the sidelights back on. Sorted. If you're parked on the left, put the right indicator on and only the right hand lights come on. Flick the indicator to the left and................well, you get the idea.

For the Classic Panda just refer to the rest of the thread

Back