Tuning Lets see how it goes..

Currently reading:
Tuning Lets see how it goes..

No offence. Not aimed at you, unless you feel it is apt? My post was generally aimed at some of the muppets on the forum. Aimed more specifically at Magic Johnson and Lal B3N.
Anyway, I have lost the will to live again. Sorry T, thanks for the advice. See you guys again sometime soon.

are they not working or have you forgot to take one today? usually takes 2 weeks for them to start to work properly

No offence. Not aimed at you, unless you feel it is apt? My post was generally aimed at some of the muppets on the forum. Aimed more specifically at Magic Johnson and Lal B3N.
Anyway, I have lost the will to live again. Sorry T, thanks for the advice. See you guys again sometime soon.

Just checking.

I see where you are coming from regarding spelling and grammar, but to be honest it honest bother me too much, its this bloody stupid text talk that does.

People can say whay they want about 'tailored maps' but i've been in this game too long and 95% of maps are bought in from someone, could be anywhere in the world but most companies out there will just email their supplier and ask for a tuned file which matches the car they are doing.

I've also seen hundreds of 'tuned' files which are a total joke, people without a clue what they are doing going in and just altering maps until they feel an improvement without knowing exactly what they have changed or the adverse effects it might cause, remapping if done properly can yield good results but its not the holy grail folks as some people make it out to be. Even many good maps will only alter 1 map to get power e.g fuelling or turbo pressure.

Tuning boxes are not 'fighting' the ECU thats total rubbish, they are simply altering input signals it receives just as if the sensor supplying the information was sending different information, there is no conflict and the ECU is not under pressure because its receiving different voltages. Also many of our tuning kits are multi channel, especially for the latest engines with Bosch EDC 17 ECU's, these boxes are very clever and can alter up to 5 signals to the ECU, we can alter both start and stop point of the tuning, how harsh or smooth the tuning starts, fuelling, timing, fuel pressure, boost pressure and even turbo timer at max speed just like a remap could do but reversed engineered. We just tested our box at the weekend on the new Audi S4 and got +107 bhp, try to beat that with a remap!:)

Normally I find that the people who try to rubbish boxes are those who do remaps and don't know what they are discussing, tuning boxes are not all the same, just like remaps they wary greatly in quality and technology, there is some utter garbage out there and some extremely advanced technology.

Diesel engines up to about 2007 are very simple to tune, a diesel to point will keep creating power (within reason) if you keep adding fuel until it reaches a point where it can no longer burn the fuel at which time it starts putting out smoke (unburnt diesel) so on the older engines simply altering fuel rail pressure very carefully and by specific amounts you can make the injectors inject more fuel thus creating more power, it is that simple and no extra turbo pressure is usually needed, this method is also cheaper to make as it only requires the control of one signal.

As I said previously newer cars from 2007-2011 are a different story, the manufacturers have gotten wise to tuning and on some models have made it much more difficult to make alterations to the voltage from sensors, they have also security locked the new ECU's so you can't write software to them any more, this is where our multi channel products come into play, because the range of adjustment on each sensor is limited we acheive power by altering signals on several sensors within the allowed tolerance and can get the same power results.

So folks don't belive all the hype about tuning boxes being rubbish and remaps being the 'proper' way to tune. If you buy a good quality tuning box you can get every bit as good a result with the added advantage that you can take your car in for servicing or warranty work with the box removed and refit after, you can also re-use many boxes on your next car with a new cable and re-flash of parameters or sell it second hand to re-coup some of your outlay, none of those things you can do with a remap.

I'm not knocking remapping I just hate all the constant boll**ks that is talked about them being so much superior.

Last edited:
Dave its not a comment directed at one person, its just a common theme on forums were people bad mouth all tuning boxes and say a proper remap is the only or correct way to tune a car.

People can say whay they want about 'tailored maps' but i've been in this game too long and 95% of maps are bought in from someone, could be anywhere in the world but most companies out there will just email their supplier and ask for a tuned file which matches the car they are doing.

I've also seen hundreds of 'tuned' files which are a total joke, people without a clue what they are doing going in and just altering maps until they feel an improvement without knowing exactly what they have changed or the adverse effects it might cause, remapping if done properly can yield good results but its not the holy grail folks as some people make it out to be. Even many good maps will only alter 1 map to get power e.g fuelling or turbo pressure.

Tuning boxes are not 'fighting' the ECU thats total rubbish, they are simply altering input signals it receives just as if the sensor supplying the information was sending different information, there is no conflict and the ECU is not under pressure because its receiving different voltages. Also many of our tuning kits are multi channel, especially for the latest engines with Bosch EDC 17 ECU's, these boxes are very clever and can alter up to 5 signals to the ECU, we can alter both start and stop point of the tuning, how harsh or smooth the tuning starts, fuelling, timing, fuel pressure, boost pressure and even turbo timer at max speed just like a remap could do but reversed engineered. We just tested our box at the weekend on the new Audi S4 and got +107 bhp, try to beat that with a remap!:)

Normally I find that the people who try to rubbish boxes are those who do remaps and don't know what they are discussing, tuning boxes are not all the same, just like remaps they wary greatly in quality and technology, there is some utter garbage out there and some extremely advanced technology.

Diesel engines up to about 2007 are very simple to tune, a diesel to point will keep creating power (within reason) if you keep adding fuel until it reaches a point where it can no longer burn the fuel at which time it starts putting out smoke (unburnt diesel) so on the older engines simply altering fuel rail pressure very carefully and by specific amounts you can make the injectors inject more fuel thus creating more power, it is that simple and no extra turbo pressure is usually needed, this method is also cheaper to make as it only requires the control of one signal.

As I said previously newer cars from 2007-2011 are a different story, the manufacturers have gotten wise to tuning and on some models have made it much more difficult to make alterations to the voltage from sensors, they have also security locked the new ECU's so you can't write software to them any more, this is where our multi channel products come into play, because the range of adjustment on each sensor is limited we acheive power by altering signals on several sensors within the allowed tolerance and can get the same power results.

So folks don't belive all the hype about tuning boxes being rubbish and remaps being the 'proper' way to tune. If you buy a good quality tuning box you can get every bit as good a result with the added advantage that you can take your car in for servicing or warranty work with the box removed and refit after, you can also re-use many boxes on your next car with a new cable and re-flash of parameters or sell it second hand to re-coup some of your outlay, none of those things you can do with a remap.

I'm not knocking remapping I just hate all the constant boll**ks that is talked about them being so much superior.

I can see your point about manufacturers blockin the ecu from being tuned, but why? Once the cvar is sold its not there problem what happens to the car, plus they must make money out of tuning due to repairing bodge tuning, or new clutches etc. So why would they try to stop people tuning their cars?

I can see your point about manufacturers blockin the ecu from being tuned, but why? Once the cvar is sold its not there problem what happens to the car, plus they must make money out of tuning due to repairing bodge tuning, or new clutches etc. So why would they try to stop people tuning their cars?
Because the cars are under warranty and bad tuning or over tuning was breaking components and customers were taking them in to be fixed under warranty which is costing manufacturers a lot of money they really shouldn't be paying out as its the customers fault. That's why they are blocking tuners from altering maps. Cars out of warranty they don't care about.

TMC.....your response as usual is sensible and articulate.

To everyone else who is contributing to this discussion I think what nees to happen to settle the argument is for a selection of tuning boxes to be tried and tested via a RR to separate the good from the bad.

One issue I have is the wide difference in prices seen for tuning boxes, as I think it is confusion those considering getting one. For example the cheap Italian boxes are quite obviously not worth the cheap components they are made from (you only have to look at the cheap cable connections they used which are designed for computers, and not a harsh engine environment). Then you move on to the middle priced boxes around about the £100 mark, now the likes of TMC and Pro-bitz are pitching their boxes in this price range, and when you look at it this seems quite a good return on your investment if you are getting the extra 20-30bhp quoted.

Finally there are the ridiculously pricey boxes around the £250+ mark. Why anyone would pay for one of these when a remap would achieve much more.

IMO if something looks too good to be true, then it is. Id advoid the cheap Italian/German boxes, and head for the middle of the road TMC/Pro-bitz boxes anyday.

One question I have for TMC....if you dont mind answering.....is with regards to how the boxes are set up. I take it they are set up with a nominal tune to achieve the increases you are quoting? so when it comes to the internal adjustment in the boxes, how much extra can this realistically give you with out runing your Punto, especially if it has a DPF as over tuning is likely to cause serious problems.

Cheers Mr L

Last edited:
I don't think that' the big issue here, Mr.LD.

It's more about damage to the fuel system. There's no doubt these tuning boxes add to performance, but how much damage are they doing in the process.

TMC's does seem to take this in to consideration, from what I've read in this thread, but only time will tell. A safe remap would be what I'd go for...on a Fiat anyway.

With all due respect TMC, your box will not get results as good as a well mapped ECU reflash - i think this is important to point out to people. I'm not trying to knock your product but it wont (excluding a crap remap), what it will do (if it works how i think it does) offer values for money compared to a remap. I totally agree that the ebay box would be a load of crap, as you say the money requiring to make doesnt add up, i was just hoping :D.

1. Every car is different, this could have been a moot point but if i think your box works as it does then it wont be.

2. You have not answered my original question of 'how' your box works and which sensors, parameters it adjusts - I'm not just talking about simple things like boost pressure, fuel pressure. For example particular points in a car's rev range can be adjusted as they run low pressure for safety e.g very high revs (just before the rev limit)

3. Altering voltage to one sensor which is intrinsically linked with others sensors and portions of the map, will not result in the max potential.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that if we were to put both cars on the same dyno on the same day (one with your box, one with a remap), excluding possible variables (like heat soak etc) in order to not mess up the test and thus make it fair (excluding dyno inaccuracies) the box would not offer more power more safely unless the remap was poorly mapped.

I dont sell remaps, or tuning boxes BTW. But I'll let you into a secret bearing in mind my first post (and what profession I'm in), i worked with a company to develop tuning boxes when i was on my placement ;).

What i will say is £125 for your box versus a £300 remap, the box will offer more value for money providing it reach a safe power level and is added/removed quickly.

I think people need to bear in mind with some boxes soot and the effect they have on DPF's (i thinkt the GP has one).

Also your point about diesels after/during 2007 (some cars in fact 2006), a toyota yaris Denso was a resonably fiddly ecu - but your box seems a good one, because at £2xx it has to be :).

So in summary, your box is good value for money providing it delivers, if ~2-5% more power than your box is worth it for another £180 thats upto people, but on a 75bhp car :D

However the threshold maybe smaller or larger, so dont quote me on that.

Last edited:
With all due respect TMC, your box will not get results as good as a well mapped ECU reflash - i think this is important to point out to people. I'm not trying to knock your product but it wont (excluding a crap remap), what it will do (if it works how i think it does) offer values for money compared to a remap. I totally agree that the ebay box would be a load of crap, as you say the money requiring to make doesnt add up, i was just hoping :D.

1. Every car is different, this could have been a moot point but if i think your box works as it does then it wont be.

2. You have not answered my original question of 'how' your box works and which sensors, parameters it adjusts - I'm not just talking about simple things like boost pressure, fuel pressure. For example particular points in a car's rev range can be adjusted as they run low pressure for safety e.g very high revs (just before the rev limit)

3. Altering voltage to one sensor which is intrinsically linked with others sensors and portions of the map, will not result in the max potential.

I would be willing to bet a lot of money that if we were to put both cars on the same dyno on the same day (one with your box, one with a remap), excluding possible variables (like heat soak etc) in order to not mess up the test and thus make it fair (excluding dyno inaccuracies) the box would not offer more power more safely unless the remap was poorly mapped.

I dont sell remaps, or tuning boxes BTW. But I'll let you into a secret bearing in mind my first post (and what profession I'm in), i worked with a company to develop tuning boxes when i was on my placement ;).

What i will say is £125 for your box versus a £300 remap, the box will offer more value for money providing it reach a safe power level and is added/removed quickly.

I think people need to bear in mind with some boxes soot and the effect they have on DPF's (i thinkt the GP has one).

Also your point about diesels after/during 2007 (some cars in fact 2006), a toyota yaris Denso was a resonably fiddly ecu - but your box seems a good one, because at £2xx it has to be :).

So in summary, your box is good value for money providing it delivers, if ~2-5% more power than your box is worth it for another £180 thats upto people, but on a 75bhp car :D

However the threshold maybe smaller or larger, so dont quote me on that.

I disagree with your first comment in a sense, firstly when you start to get smoke either with a remap or a box that means your fuelling to a point were the car can no longer burn the fuel, remapping can't magically change this, you can add boost pressure but on most diesels the turbo is already running fairly high boost pressure so pushing it alot harder could cause the turbo to fail prematurely.

On your point 1 you are bang on, every car is different hence why we put the adjustablility on the box so that the right balance of power without smoke can be found.

Point 2 I have actually explained many times, on the JTD/M engines we use only rail pressure as on this engine it gives great results, many other makes you need boost controlled too but on Vauxhall/Fiat/Alfa the rail control gives great results and the forum price is £99 delivered not £125 +vat as per the website which makes it about a third of the cost of a remap and you can sell it again if you change the car so cost wise I think there is no argument. Also on your point of different alterations at different RPM we do that as I explained before, I've taken a photo of the map and how its loaded in so you can see how it varys its rail pressure increases through the rev range and as you say drops at higher RPM.

The map varying at different RPM's

How the files are loaded by laptop.

I don't really understand your third point, on diesels there is really only fuelling and turbo pressure that have any relevance to gaining power as your limits are only the amount of air you can get in to meet the fuel being injected and getting the gases back out again (exhaust), you don't have detonation issues like a petrol engine.

I would be willing to bet that a remap of only fuelling could not acheive higher power than the box because as I said once you get smoke with either you have reached your fuelling limit, yes if you add more turbo pressure but then I can also do that with our multi channel box. What we aim for is a reasonable 20-25% gain in the most affordable way and that should not over strain mechanical components, some mappers don't care about the over straining and will just max fuel and boost out to get a big headline figure but the engine or turbo may well burst a while later.

By the way the Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4d is the only Toyota diesel with a Bosch ECU not Denso which all the other Toyota diesel engines use, the engine is also in the first Mini diesels as its made by BMW hence Bosch common rail.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but regarding DPF's is it only the later versions of the mjet have this fitted or have they all got one ? As i have heard else where that both mapping and tuning boxes can cause this to get blocked.

As far as I know the 1.3 and 1.9 Grande Punto`s were not fitted with a DPF.But I believe it was available as an option on the 1.9.When the 1.9 was superceded by the 1.6 Multijet it was fitted as standard,and your right all of the new Punto Evo diesels have them as original equiptment.The DPF can be troublesome if not treated properly.I to would be interested to know if this is likely to be an issue with tuneing boxes.

Slightly off topic but regarding DPF's is it only the later versions of the mjet have this fitted or have they all got one ? As i have heard else where that both mapping and tuning boxes can cause this to get blocked.

I have not seen many issues of blocked DPFs on Fiats, they seem to have a decent sixe DPF on the cars that have them. More important than the box or remap is taking the car on the motorway once a week to allow the DPF to re-generate and empty, driving short journeys in town all the time will block a DPF even if the car isn't tuned.

I disagree with your first comment in a sense, firstly when you start to get smoke either with a remap or a box that means your fuelling to a point were the car can no longer burn the fuel, remapping can't magically change this, you can add boost pressure but on most diesels the turbo is already running fairly high boost pressure so pushing it alot harder could cause the turbo to fail prematurely.

On your point 1 you are bang on, every car is different hence why we put the adjustablility on the box so that the right balance of power without smoke can be found.

Point 2 I have actually explained many times, on the JTD/M engines we use only rail pressure as on this engine it gives great results, many other makes you need boost controlled too but on Vauxhall/Fiat/Alfa the rail control gives great results and the forum price is £99 delivered not £125 +vat as per the website which makes it about a third of the cost of a remap and you can sell it again if you change the car so cost wise I think there is no argument. Also on your point of different alterations at different RPM we do that as I explained before, I've taken a photo of the map and how its loaded in so you can see how it varys its rail pressure increases through the rev range and as you say drops at higher RPM.

The map varying at different RPM's

How the files are loaded by laptop.

I don't really understand your third point, on diesels there is really only fuelling and turbo pressure that have any relevance to gaining power as your limits are only the amount of air you can get in to meet the fuel being injected and getting the gases back out again (exhaust), you don't have detonation issues like a petrol engine.

I would be willing to bet that a remap of only fuelling could not acheive higher power than the box because as I said once you get smoke with either you have reached your fuelling limit, yes if you add more turbo pressure but then I can also do that with our multi channel box. What we aim for is a reasonable 20-25% gain in the most affordable way and that should not over strain mechanical components, some mappers don't care about the over straining and will just max fuel and boost out to get a big headline figure but the engine or turbo may well burst a while later.

By the way the Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4d is the only Toyota diesel with a Bosch ECU not Denso which all the other Toyota diesel engines use, the engine is also in the first Mini diesels as its made by BMW hence Bosch common rail.

I'll take you word for it, its good to see its mapped at particular revs rates. My point you didn't understand was exactly that, as the rail pressure changes.

Does your box alter anything to do with the turbo?.

Also does your box intercept the fuelling signal and modify thus to add more fuel or inject it at different times (excluding revs). From what youve said your tuning box intercepts the fuelling signal and modifies it to add more fuel @ particular rev points (of course there must more to it than this).

As you know a remap (since you offer remaps) flashes different value into the tables. The ecu then reads all the same sensors (as i said previously) and again applies fuelling as a result of the feedback if gets from the sensors, and puuts new values in the map (i cant remember if diesels have STFT and LTFT values), the remap runs the turbo to a higher boost pressure as well as increasing the fuel level (linked), the ECU is manages the values accordingly.

Unless your tuning box is cleaver it can no longer control the fuel delivery as the change occurs after the ECU has done all it's calculations. This is what i dont quite understand with your box since its only plugging into the fuel rail (one item), so how can it get the all feedback it wishes to fully satisfy the ecu from one plug, effectively/efficiently.

So obviously the extra fuel injected gives more torque and power (we all feel that when adding one). But of course the problems with tuning boxes is that the ecu makes calculations based on the fuel it injects (or thinks it actually thinks its injecting ;)) and is unaware of the extra added after it's calculations, thus according to the on-board odometer/MPG readout - people say wow i have better mpg when in reality they don't (excluding toddling about). As you know there's a different between burning and burning cleanly.

BTW the sensor i mention to name a few are AIT, STFT, TPS, LOAD ETC ETC.

I dont wish to give you a hardtime, your probably wished i didnt ask these questions but all credit to you for answering, i just dont still believe it is as good (or 95% as a remap). In all honesty i am interested in one for my fathers 1.3 multijet - there's a lot of expensive ****e out there. We wont go into faultcode/DTC etc ;) i doubt fiat are that pesky.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'll take you word for it, its good to see its mapped at particular revs rates. My point you didn't understand was exactly that, as the rail pressure changes.

Sorry don't know what you mean by this.

Does your box alter anything to do with the turbo?.
I've answered this in my reply.

Also does your box intercept the fuelling signal and modify thus to add more fuel or inject it at different times (excluding revs). From what youve said your tuning box intercepts the fuelling signal and modifies it to add more fuel @ particular rev points (of course there must more to it than this).
Again sorry but I feel I expalined this already.

As you know a remap (since you offer remaps) flashes different value into the tables. The ecu then reads all the same sensors (as i said previously) and again applies fuelling as a result of the feedback if gets from the sensors, and puuts new values in the map (i cant remember if diesels have STFT and LTFT values), the remap runs the turbo to a higher boost pressure as well as increasing the fuel level (linked), the ECU is manages the values accordingly.
Sorry but again I've explained this in my previous post, the box alters the signals to the ECU from the sensors it relys on for information and the information it receives makes it change the delivery of fuel or fuel and turbo pressure depending on the box used.

Unless your tuning box is cleaver it can no longer control the fuel delivery as the change occurs after the ECU has done all it's calculations. This is what i dont quite understand with your box since its only plugging into the fuel rail (one item), so how can it get the all feedback it wishes to fully satisfy the ecu from one plug, effectively/efficiently.
We seem to be going in circles, the box is clever, its controlled by micro processor and mapped to the engine. The fuel rail could be compared to a balloon with diesel inside, if its half full there is less pressure so when you open the end (or injectors) less fuel will be forced out if the pressure is low, fill the balloon three quarters full there is more pressure so when you open the end (injectors) more fuel will be forced out, thats how common rail works in principal, I think you have it alot more complex in your head but commonrail is a reasonably simple system.

So obviously the extra fuel injected gives more torque and power (we all feel that when adding one). But of course the problems with tuning boxes is that the ecu makes calculations based on the fuel it injects (or thinks it actually thinks its injecting ;)) and is unaware of the extra added after it's calculations, thus according to the on-board odometer/MPG readout - people say wow i have better mpg when in reality they don't (excluding toddling about). As you know there's a different between burning and burning cleanly.
On board computers are never very accurate, additional MPG is not acheived by some magic from the box but by altering your driving style, with extra torque at low revs you don't have to rev your engine hard to get performance meaning less gear changes and better economy, I always recommend to test MPG that you do tank full to empty tests and calculate manually, and many of my customers on that basis get 10-20% gains, but because of how they change the way they drive the car.

I dont wish to give you a hardtime, your probably wished i didnt ask these questions but all credit to you for answering, i just dont still believe it is as good (or 95% as a remap). In all honesty i am interested in one for my fathers 1.3 multijet - there's a lot of expensive ****e out there. We wont go into faultcode/DTC etc ;) i doubt fiat are that pesky.
You're not giving me a hard time you just seem to be going over the same stuff over and over even after I answer and alot of what you talk about I can't really make sense of. I think its best just to leave it at that, I think I've explained as best I can how the box works and its £99 not £999, to me its incredible value for money for those just looking a bit more grunt. For those with specific needs or higher ambitions maybe a remap is better for you.

Last edited:
TBH, there more i have read this i agree regarding i have done a little repetition but thats because you have avoided questions about the more intricate details, which would highlight why a remap is better than the box 'overall'. I've had to ask a guy from germany who works in this department who is shiiit hot at this stuff, i dont really like him but he has confirmed my original thoughts.

You've deviated from saying that your tuning box is as good as a remap from saying [I quote] 'For those with specific needs or higher ambitions maybe a remap is better for you', and why offer remaps on your website.

I will say 'again' your box seems a good product for the GP for price, and like the fact you sell a multi-channel boxes for newer ECU's, unlike JTD with just fuel pressure.

Its best to leave it at that now i think.

Cheers

Sorry don't know what you mean by this.

I've answered this in my reply.

Again sorry but I feel I expalined this already.

Sorry but again I've explained this in my previous post, the box alters the signals to the ECU from the sensors it relys on for information and the information it receives makes it change the delivery of fuel or fuel and turbo pressure depending on the box used.

We seem to be going in circles, the box is clever, its controlled by micro processor and mapped to the engine. The fuel rail could be compared to a balloon with diesel inside, if its half full there is less pressure so when you open the end (or injectors) less fuel will be forced out if the pressure is low, fill the balloon three quarters full there is more pressure so when you open the end (injectors) more fuel will be forced out, thats how common rail works in principal, I think you have it alot more complex in your head but commonrail is a reasonably simple system.

On board computers are never very accurate, additional MPG is not acheived by some magic from the box but by altering your driving style, with extra torque at low revs you don't have to rev your engine hard to get performance meaning less gear changes and better economy, I always recommend to test MPG that you do tank full to empty tests and calculate manually, and many of my customers on that basis get 10-20% gains, but because of how they change the way they drive the car.

You're not giving me a hard time you just seem to be going over the same stuff over and over even after I answer and alot of what you talk about I can't really make sense of. I think its best just to leave it at that, I think I've explained as best I can how the box works and its £99 not £999, to me its incredible value for money for those just looking a bit more grunt. For those with specific needs or higher ambitions maybe a remap is better for you.

Last edited:
admanrv let me summarise this for you. buy the box for a £100 or get a remap for £200+ , i dont know how much more tacit knowledge is needed for such a small choice.

nigel mansell is coming over to the city soon for a charity round of golf, maybe i could tap him up for some of williams tuning secrets lol.

tmc, after reading your posts even i have a basic understanding of tuning boxes / remaps so cheers for that, i can hold a chat with my fellow car loving lads at work, without getting lost, all credit to you :)

Back