Tuning Lets see how it goes..

Currently reading:
Tuning Lets see how it goes..

Could you possibly tell me the forum price? (if you would rather email it thats fine). So yea i dont really know what to say about this box anymore. And im not really keen on striping away the resin as there is a load of it and it is seriously ROCK sold! Well its been nice to see everybody's opinion on the matter and thanks TMC for providing your opinion and info.

would having a few runs on a rr show if it was any good or not?
could some one who knows stuff not plug it into some thing to read its map?

No because you would need a specific program to read it. Gsalini forum members pay £99. You can send £99 with Paypal to [email protected] with your details and a message saying Fiat Forum offer. I can dispatch it today.

If they won't refund you send the unit over and i'll strip it down for you and see whats under the resin.

Could you possibly tell me the forum price? (if you would rather email it thats fine). So yea i dont really know what to say about this box anymore. And im not really keen on striping away the resin as there is a load of it and it is seriously ROCK sold! Well its been nice to see everybody's opinion on the matter and thanks TMC for providing your opinion and info.

If you feel the box you bought is adding to your driving experience why not just use it?
If you are not going to use it then take it to bits yourself and have a look.

They are a load of **** imo. Wouldnt waste my money on one even if it was proven to give a little extra bhp.

TMC or remap all day long.

Well ive been planning on trying to get it on a rolling road to day in a local garage to see whats what. Oh and im not going to strip it down, that would destroy my chances of having a refund if i do decide to get one. Oh and Lal B3N, i think thats a bit of a blunt statement when theres been 3 pages of debating, information and investigation about these things! Ill post again later to see how i get on.

Well ive been planning on trying to get it on a rolling road to day in a local garage to see whats what. Oh and im not going to strip it down, that would destroy my chances of having a refund if i do decide to get one. Oh and Lal B3N, i think thats a bit of a blunt statement when theres been 3 pages of debating, information and investigation about these things! Ill post again later to see how i get on.

Maybe so but thats just how i see them. To many on the market for me to believe they are good even if you have put on a rolling road and have gained 20bhp.

If you gain 20bhp then fair enough, its done something but ill stick with what i believe.

what do you mean fueling custard? oh and screw the rolling road, called them, they wanted a £100. they can **** off.

Most tuning boxes just ramp up fuel pressure (which has already been said), which puts tremendous strain on the entire fuel system, and in a common rail system, that ain't good. Ain't good at all.

Overfueling should be your primary concern. The bottom line is the TMC box is tried and tested from somebody we can trust whereas you can never be sure exactly what some of the boxes on eBay are doing regardless of the claims their manufacturers may make.

Maybe so but thats just how i see them. To many on the market for me to believe they are good even if you have put on a rolling road and have gained 20bhp.

If you gain 20bhp then fair enough, its done something but ill stick with what i believe.

a good rolling road dont just show bhp but also the fuelling through out the rev range

Think of how a diesel makes power, your detonating the fuel air mix by putting it under pressure, more simplistic tuning boxes will simply up the pressure.
I'd have an ECU remap over a tuning box TBH but it isnt an option with my punto (atm), yes they work but they are not as cleaver/in harmony with the car as what a remap would be. The components inside could be a simply PIC which TBH isnt expesensive really, so it could be possibly to make this kit with a small profit, the suspect green silicone does make me wonder though, as there could be an Ne555 chip inside :D.

A remap alters all fuelling/pressure/turbo engagement/others parameters inline with other sensors etc (TPS etc) within the standard ECU map so everything is delivered smoothly and consistently throughout the powerband, also a map is not fighting the ECU (so to speak), ever seen a diesel puff off black smoke? - that's overfueling.

Most boxes mainly only increases rail pressure and alters the burning cycle (length and fuel quantity), yes they have a few extra settings.

I have seen some very poor tuning boxes and some half decent ones on a dyno (added before and after), i admit some but not all work. Since a lot of people don't put their car on a dyno i think this really really needs to be done.

Some boxes will not producing smoke as you probably haven't wacked up the setting and you are running a nice mixture. Some ECU's are learning ECU's thus it gets more complicated (IIRC the punto is a bosch MDC16), then there's partial throttle and full throttle maps. Interesting as i was looking at this on ebay, the sellers hasn't got back to me yet but I've asked him alsorts of involving/technical questions so thats maybe why :D .

With the box you need to think is it running safe? that is something you cannot possibly gauge without a dyno. Its all well getting power, for example if you push the fuelling/pressure etc you get more power but you can possibly melt/break engine components etc with high temperatures, in several scenarios.

When you dyno the car, you attach various sensors to the engine and insert bungs in the tailpipe to measure the fuel ratio, unless you have a wideband etc gauge on your car. But still without monitoring you cannot possibly know if its running in a safe state.

You can not also listen for problems which you think could be there, sometimes the car will go into limp mode thus you know there is a problem .

If a tuning company is worth its salt they will and will always use a dyno, to acquire a delta and thus tune the car within safe parameters.

An example with petrol engines is pushing timing which equals more power, but advancing too much (sailing close to the wind) introducing detonation then the engine blows up or you melt a piston due to too hot combustion temperatures.

When i tuned my car, that was around 7 hours in one day i could have easily blew up the engine, it was running unsafe in some areas. In summary there are some good boxes out there but they are generally more expensive and are close to an ECU remap but not as a good IMO.

If i put a tuning box on my car i wouldn't dream of not putting on the dyno. TMC why is your box better and what parameters do you adjust? - as im interested in purchasing one.

CHeers

Last edited:
There is so much crap posted on this forum. Basic spelling and grammar are obviously a thing of the past. Anyway, back to reality. Some of you guys seem to have an opinion on everything based on absolutely no experience of real life. Ignorance continues to be bliss!

There is so much crap posted on this forum. Basic spelling and grammar are obviously a thing of the past. Anyway, back to reality. Some of you guys seem to have an opinion on everything based on absolutely no experience of real life. Ignorance continues to be bliss!

An automotive degree usually comes in handy ;), as well as experience mapping cars - but I'll let that point ride if it wasn't aimed at me.

No offence. Not aimed at you, unless you feel it is apt? My post was generally aimed at some of the muppets on the forum. Aimed more specifically at Magic Johnson and Lal B3N.
Anyway, I have lost the will to live again. Sorry T, thanks for the advice. See you guys again sometime soon.

Back