General Leather in Sport vs other Options questiones

Currently reading:
General Leather in Sport vs other Options questiones

As Alan says, worth trying Carwow to see if they can deliver on their claims.

Nope... no luck there either. I get offers, but when I follow them up there are the same huge bunch of caveats.

My options apparently make the offer "not valid" (even though technically the offer is made after I've entered all my options..??) or there's some other problem, like it's not the right colour or those wheels will be tricky.. or the calculator worked something out wrong.

I think the whole Carwow thing is just click-bait (?).

I'm not sure whether a bog-standard, no options car would give me more joy.. I suspect many dealers could do me a deal on a car they physically have in stock... but I only buy a new car once every 20 years, so I want the spec' I want.

Apart from red paint and leather seats, I could retro-buy the bigger alloys and the full-sized spare wheel separately and fit them myself.. but the biggest stumbling block seems to be the leather seats option (I've never seen them on an actual Sport). No chance of buying those later.

Sadly even the dealers who have been vaguely interested have been poor. They've made mistakes on their quotes, missing some options, or using different deposit or mileage figures... and when I ask for a corrected quote please, they don't reply, until I chase them up. I've never had so much trouble spending £25k.. :D

It could be just a Fiat dealers thing.. but human nature etc..I doubt it. I've got two "live" communications at the moment (one who quoted me 6000 miles, and the other who missed the bigger wheels) so if they reply I might be in business.. otherwise I'll probably knock it on the head for the moment and have another go when the delivery date moves into December, rather than September. That might make them more interested.

Meanwhile I'll try a completely different manufacturer, just to see if someone else just does it better... although I'm not convinced a Korando etc. will be quite as satisfying as the car I actually want.. :D

Ralf S.

Meanwhile I'll try a completely different manufacturer, just to see if someone else just does it better... although I'm not convinced a Korando etc. will be quite as satisfying as the car I actually want.. :D

Ralf S.

I would have quite happily bought a current generation 500X when I changed my car, as I was so happy with it once the early gremlins had been sorted, but Fiat's determination to send diesel owners to the Naughty Step saw me look elsewhere.

A lazy salesman put me off SEAT and I ended up at Kia, bought a top of the Sportage with a really good discount and so far like it as much or more than the 500X.

I believe Test Drives are now available again, no harm looking elsewhere, and seeing how close you can get to your perfect car.

Nope... no luck there either. I get offers, but when I follow them up there are the same huge bunch of caveats.

My options apparently make the offer "not valid" (even though technically the offer is made after I've entered all my options..??) or there's some other problem, like it's not the right colour or those wheels will be tricky.. or the calculator worked something out wrong.

I think the whole Carwow thing is just click-bait (?).

I'm not sure whether a bog-standard, no options car would give me more joy.. I suspect many dealers could do me a deal on a car they physically have in stock... but I only buy a new car once every 20 years, so I want the spec' I want.

Apart from red paint and leather seats, I could retro-buy the bigger alloys and the full-sized spare wheel separately and fit them myself.. but the biggest stumbling block seems to be the leather seats option (I've never seen them on an actual Sport). No chance of buying those later.

Sadly even the dealers who have been vaguely interested have been poor. They've made mistakes on their quotes, missing some options, or using different deposit or mileage figures... and when I ask for a corrected quote please, they don't reply, until I chase them up. I've never had so much trouble spending £25k.. :D

It could be just a Fiat dealers thing.. but human nature etc..I doubt it. I've got two "live" communications at the moment (one who quoted me 6000 miles, and the other who missed the bigger wheels) so if they reply I might be in business.. otherwise I'll probably knock it on the head for the moment and have another go when the delivery date moves into December, rather than September. That might make them more interested.

Ralf S.

I'm really shocked that the Fiat dealers haven't been more receptive, given their sales figures aren't anything to write home about currently and the only savior is the new 500e.

I've not ordered through Carwow, but never got the impression that they'd have problems fulfilling my (also heavily optioned) choices when obtaining quotes. It'd be interesting to know what area of the Country you are to ascertain what dealers might be best to approach if you haven't already.

Gotta say though, the 1.0 FireFly 120 engine is a peach. My Parents have had their 2020 500x Cross Plus since September and it's been a pleasant surprise, particularly for my Dad who was skeptical about the engine size after not enjoying the 1.2 DIG-T engine in their previous Nissan Qashqai at all. The 3 cylinder nature of the FireFly engine gives a lot more low down grunt than the 4 cylinder Nissan and the whole car feels much lighter on its feet, not bogging down as you engage the clutch like we had with the Nissan. On a recent return trip from Oxfordshire to Cheshire including driving around whilst away, we got over 400 miles to a tank, which was very encouraging as it's not a particularly large tank - the onboard computer said 40mpg and Dad does make the most of the rev-happy nature of the engine!

If I'm picking holes I'd say the ride is less accomplished to the Qashqai but that was a bigger car and much more money, especially factoring in the £6000 off list on the Fiat, which was much more than expected. Quality has been good with no problems at all and only cheaper rear door panels standing out, though we knew that when we bought it. We've just put half a litre of Selenia in it but it's now on 6500 miles, so that's nothing to write home about - my Tipo 1.4 T-Jet required a similar top up but has used no oil for 2 years since.

Dad in particular would've gone for a Sport with a few more options but this Cross Plus was pre-reg and too much of a deal to turn down. Performance from the sales team at Johnsons Swindon was spot-on. Good without all the OTT ego massaging. I can have a look in the boot and take a pic of the spare wheel well if that helps? We only have the foam in ours unfortunately, but it might help ascertain if the well is big enough to avoid compromising the boot floor.

Many manufacturers (including VW) save pennies by using hard plastics on the rear door cards where they use soft touch or better feeling materials on the front. My wife's Captur is no different, but my Hyundai has the posh stuff front and rear. In general I always thought my 500X's cabin had a premium feel.

I'm pricing up a new new 500X Sport, in 1.0ltr flavour, and the leather seats option is calling me.. If the numbers work out, I'm going for a red one, with 19" wheels and a full-sized spare wheel (because I'm an old fella these days and anyone knoes you needs a proper spare wheel).

1) The full-monty spare wheel is just GBP95 more than a space-saver and I don't want to regret not spending those few extra quid years from now, when I have a puncture in the rain, next to a ditch in Llwydiarth or similar. But does the full-size spare come with any compromises, e.g. like it doesn't fit in the wheel well, or similar? I don't want/need a bulging boot floor.

2) The standard interior is a kind of vinyl (?) called "techno-leather" with cloth inserts... It's reasonably attractive but I'm an old fella these days so techno-<anything> sounds too racy to me.

In any case "when I was a lad..." vinyl seat cloth felt like it was 3/16" (ask your nan) thick and apart from it felt plastic, was not a bad replica of real leather. The techno seems to follow modern trends in that it's nicer to touch, probably better.. but has lost some "charm".

So, the quite expensive leather seat option is tricky to ignore. I've had a look at the configurator and it looks like the vinyl seats (irony!) fitted to the first model X's.

Does anyone have a photo of the leather seats as fitted in a 500X Sport? The configurator is a bit "CGI" so doesn't give me a very clear picture. Cars on Autotrader and eBay etc. don't have the leather seats.. only techno.

3) Anyone saying "No" to the 19" rims? I'm going to have them anyway.. but it'll be interesting to hear any reasons why I really shouldn't.. so at least I can say... "yep.. they was right..."

4) Is there anything else I need to have, which I've ignored? The beast seems to have electric everything, which I'm probably going to curse at some point (a speedo, a rev-counter and an oil temperature gauge are the limits of essential equipment for me...) but since it's "fully loaded" already, one or other more gadgets isn't going to make me swear much more.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the salesperson today, confirming that the PCP deal I've bashed out isn't a terrible mistake and they need to add 10% to the APR etc.. so there's time to tweak it, if the Forum tells me my spec' could be better..

Ralf S.

Just posted a classified ad for our car that might be what you are looking for ?

Regards

John M

I can have a look in the boot and take a pic of the spare wheel well if that helps? We only have the foam in ours unfortunately, but it might help ascertain if the well is big enough to avoid compromising the boot floor.

That would be handy, since yours is the same engine as I'm after. I really doubt FIAT would have fitted a shallow wheel well to the facelift model but you never know.

A lumpy boot floor would get on my OCD.. :D but some manufactures (Jaguar, I think) do supply a full-sized spare even though it doesn't fit. I'd take the space saver in that case.

Ralf S.

Latest development is that I'm chasing up one dealer to update their quote with the options they missed. This place always needs second email, without fail.. :D

The other dealer didn't give me a particularly good quote first time out and got the PCP details (mileage) wrong.. but they're local, so I've given them a hint what kind of monthly payment would get my business. I've not had an answer, so asked them again, although they might not be interested/unable to do anything.

I can't find much enthusiasm for another make/model.. although I did see a Fiat Panda with a roof box on it this weekend.. and it amused me a bit to imagine to imagine ending up with something similar. :D

Ralf S.

That would be handy, since yours is the same engine as I'm after. I really doubt FIAT would have fitted a shallow wheel well to the facelift model but you never know.

A lumpy boot floor would get on my OCD.. :D but some manufactures (Jaguar, I think) do supply a full-sized spare even though it doesn't fit. I'd take the space saver in that case.

Ralf S.

Sorry it's taken a while, but here goes. The polystyrene surround is screwed into the wheel well so I'd have needed to mess about with tools to get a proper look, but the well is deep enough for a space saver as the first pic shows.

Our car doesn't have an adjustable boot floor, it's just carpet that rests on the bodywork of the car and the polystyrene that holds the tyre inflator and gunk. However as pic 2 shows there's still what looks like plastic ridges to support an adjustable boot floor. If this were in place then you'd get a full size spare underneath, so I wonder if that option automatically adds a rigid adjustable boot floor. Something one of the better dealers may be able to confirm.

Attachments

• DSC_0308.JPG
    DSC_0308.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
Just for clarification, when opening the second pic to full size, the plastic that looks to hold the rigid boot floor is on the left (nearest the boot opening) and the mark around the side of the boot shows the height it'd rest at.

Well I also note that you have the support lip on the rear moulding to support the ridged floor panel. The question is do you have the side support brackets foremost just behind the rear seats on either side.

If so then you can make you own floor out of ply and put your boot carpet on top. Or you can purchase the false floor and side brackets (if required) from your dealer. Could be expensive though.

Sorry it's taken a while, but here goes. The polystyrene surround is screwed into the wheel well so I'd have needed to mess about with tools to get a proper look, but the well is deep enough for a space saver as the first pic shows.

Our car doesn't have an adjustable boot floor, it's just carpet that rests on the bodywork of the car and the polystyrene that holds the tyre inflator and gunk. However as pic 2 shows there's still what looks like plastic ridges to support an adjustable boot floor. If this were in place then you'd get a full size spare underneath, so I wonder if that option automatically adds a rigid adjustable boot floor. Something one of the better dealers may be able to confirm.

Thanks for taking the trouble. You're right... there does seem to be provision for an elevated floor. I'm not sure if I've seen some kind of "clever" flooring options in the 500X accessory catalogue, or if that was some other car (I've looked at a few.. :D ) but the car does seem to have something designed in. Whether it's used by the full-sized spare, I have no idea yet.

At the moment I've given up bothering the dealers. The great prices I see advertised all seem to evaporate when I ask for a quote. I'm getting plenty of not completely unreasonable monthly PCP options.. but they're all based on more or less the list price, which isn't why I'm scouring the car discount sites... I could go to my local dealer for sure, if I wanted to pay list price. I might just be being moody.. :D

Anyhow, the summer offer Fiat was running (which none of the dealers mentioned) has expired now, along with my enthusiasm.. so I'll leave it a bit and try again in the autumn possibly. Sooner or later, someone will have nothing better to do approaching December etc. and will go with my spec' just to get the sale, even if they don't make much money out of it..

Ralf S.

Well I also note that you have the support lip on the rear moulding to support the ridged floor panel. The question is do you have the side support brackets foremost just behind the rear seats on either side.

If so then you can make you own floor out of ply and put your boot carpet on top. Or you can purchase the false floor and side brackets (if required) from your dealer. Could be expensive though.

Unfortunately we've no brackets behind the seats on our 500x - I assume they use one moulding for the plastic boot 'lip' but the other fixtures are only included if you pay for the false floor (or other qualifying option -full size spare, perhaps?)

Thanks for taking the trouble. You're right... there does seem to be provision for an elevated floor. I'm not sure if I've seen some kind of "clever" flooring options in the 500X accessory catalogue, or if that was some other car (I've looked at a few.. :D ) but the car does seem to have something designed in. Whether it's used by the full-sized spare, I have no idea yet.

At the moment I've given up bothering the dealers. The great prices I see advertised all seem to evaporate when I ask for a quote. I'm getting plenty of not completely unreasonable monthly PCP options.. but they're all based on more or less the list price, which isn't why I'm scouring the car discount sites... I could go to my local dealer for sure, if I wanted to pay list price. I might just be being moody.. :D

Anyhow, the summer offer Fiat was running (which none of the dealers mentioned) has expired now, along with my enthusiasm.. so I'll leave it a bit and try again in the autumn possibly. Sooner or later, someone will have nothing better to do approaching December etc. and will go with my spec' just to get the sale, even if they don't make much money out of it..

Ralf S.

I'm not entirely sure about the accessory side of things, but I think the false floor was fitted more widely across the pre-facelift 500x models, not sure if anyone here has a model with the floor fitted.

It's really surprising about the lack of decent offers. Don't suppose you qualify for the Fiat Affinity scheme do you? The 500x Sport has a £5000 Fiat deposit contribution at the moment, with only a tiny (less than £1000) customer deposit, which is very generous compared to most other FCA models listed.

I'm not entirely sure about the accessory side of things, but I think the false floor was fitted more widely across the pre-facelift 500x models, not sure if anyone here has a model with the floor fitted.

It's really surprising about the lack of decent offers. Don't suppose you qualify for the Fiat Affinity scheme do you? The 500x Sport has a £5000 Fiat deposit contribution at the moment, with only a tiny (less than £1000) customer deposit, which is very generous compared to most other FCA models listed.

I had the adjustable floor on my 500X, but then they put a spare wheel in it, so I could only ever have it at the raised level. Genius.

I had the adjustable floor on my 500X, but then they put a spare wheel in it, so I could only ever have it at the raised level. Genius.

Same for me on my 500X 2015. However the spare is a 195 space saver so there is around 10cm space between the top of the wheel and the raised floor. I also remove all the foam block fillers. I can get a a shed load of tools, fluids, tow rope, footpump, triangle, ........., even a 150W 12V to mains inverter stowed neatly away.

Back