Learning to ride a bike..what do i need to do?

Currently reading:
Learning to ride a bike..what do i need to do?

A

Anonymous

Ok i'm a little confused,ve been doing some reading on the DSA site regarding this but an am none the wiser. Basically i currently hold a car licence of 7 years and want to ride a bike of any size (without restrictions)

Now ive read that if you passed the driving test before 2001 you dont need to do a CBT, so what course do i need? Direct Access??

Anyone got any ideas on the cost of this?

Cheers

Hgt_20engine.jpg

99' Nero Black Bravo HGT 155
20v Air box wanted complete email me ([email protected])

Buy some Stabilizers first. Once you get the hang of things, you can remove them but make sure you have a friend to help you keep your balance. :) LOL.

Sorry had to say that.

Yeah i'll be learning to ride a motorcycle later on this year too, obviously need CBT first, take another Theory Test, then take training and test on a big bike so i can ride without restrictions.

right....
i'm a week away from my big bike test, so can maybe answer. The DSA site, IS a tad confusing i'd agree.

First, you need to check your paper license and check you have some sort of 'A' category of provisional entitlement.

If you want to go unrestricted, and are definitely gonna buy a bike bike within 2 years, you wanna sit the direct access like i did

i sat my CBT in december, my theory test last week, and have had 1 full day of lessons, and have another full day next week, then my direct access test. However, I only did my CBT seperately because i had 2 friends who wanted to do it, but weren't going to take further lessons till this summer.

For you. i'd suggest finding your local school, and asking for their prices. They probably have a website. You want a complete package from start to guaranteed Direct Access pass. Its likely to be about £450-500 but its £100 just for the CBT day of training, and then usually £150 per full day of direct access after that. Most people need a minimum of 3 full days (one is the CBT day), but depending on their competence, and effort, could be 5 or 6 days.

Any more questions, just ask.

Oh, the CBT, technically, if you've had a license long enough, you can ride a 125cc with up to 11hp on L-plates, but you'd still have to do the training as part of the direct access. Also, having done it, its very worth it! i cannot believe they used to just let folk,especially 17yr olds, straight onto the roads without at LEAST a CBT! Your first day riding teaches you a LOT! After that, its all about clutch control, positioning, and slow-speed manouvers. Its good fun, and i cant wait to get my bike in a few weeks. just hope i pass my direct access test next week.

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

hi,

God it is so confusing, glad i did my test years ago just rode round the block with the instructor standing on the pavement, happy days !!
I heard somewhere that they are going to make it even more difficult, cannot think how though seems a total maze now.

Regards,

Kev Walker

Oh boy the new test is WAY more complex! Thats why i'm learning in winter. I didn't wanna take a chance and get stuck trying to pass the new test!
In addition to the on-road element, theres a part thats done on private ground. you can see the