Technical Leaking Hose top of Engine

Currently reading:
Technical Leaking Hose top of Engine

Crazie

Hi all,

Has anyone experienced this hose leaking at the top right of the engine?

Does anyone know what it is so I can replace? Something as small as this id rather sort myself, my dealer is 30-40 mins away.

Thanks in advance!

Fiat tipo HB 1.4 2017 95hp

Attached.

Attachments

• engineleak.jpg
    engineleak.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 93
100%? Wondering if I replaced clamp would it stop. Thanks for your reply.
I've had Pandas for years and my boy has a Punto. Breather hose oil leaks seem to be a standard fitment! I know your's isn't either of these but the leak looks exactly like what ours do! Often removing it you may find it's got a crack on close examination. With age they tend to harden up so don't seal so well even with a new clip fitted. My Panda's had a very small crack so I wound self amalgamating tape round it about 18 months ago but it is leaking right now and I've got a new pipe sitting in my workshop waiting to be fitted. If it's not cracked yours looks like it would probably respond to being cleaned up and having a good quality "jubilee" type clip fitted. Don't worry about it, it just looks messy, it's not going to cause any problems unless it starts leaking bucketfulls!

I've had Pandas for years and my boy has a Punto. Breather hose oil leaks seem to be a standard fitment! I know your's isn't either of these but the leak looks exactly like what ours do! Often removing it you may find it's got a crack on close examination. With age they tend to harden up so don't seal so well even with a new clip fitted. My Panda's had a very small crack so I wound self amalgamating tape round it about 18 months ago but it is leaking right now and I've got a new pipe sitting in my workshop waiting to be fitted. If it's not cracked yours looks like it would probably respond to being cleaned up and having a good quality "jubilee" type clip fitted. Don't worry about it, it just looks messy, it's not going to cause any problems unless it starts leaking bucketfulls!

Ahhh great! thanks so much! Ill check for cracking today. Im doing about 360 mile a week in my tipo crusing at 70 on the motorway. Im sure this has something to do with the pipe/clip failing fairly quickly.

Thanks again!

Ahhh great! thanks so much! Ill check for cracking today. Im doing about 360 mile a week in my tipo crusing at 70 on the motorway. Im sure this has something to do with the pipe/clip failing fairly quickly.

Thanks again!

Sometimes the 'squeezing' action of the clip isnt perfect..

I have found that undoing clips and refitting in a slightly different position can improve the seal

The clip is tensioned by putting a kink in the strap.. (you can see the "U" shaped bend in your photo)... but if it's overdone, the clip becomes harder to fit onto the pipe.. and if the clip is somewhere vibratey, the tension on the clip can sometimes pull out the kink, or the hook part deforms so the clip becomes "loose" (this being very relative).

I've tried to deform the "hook" part back into shape and I've also tried insreasing the depth of the kink. It worked for a while on a Cinquecento expansion bottle hose (a larger clip which was marked in yellow) but was less successful on an oil breather hose (purple).

A new clip always solved the problem.. although I suspect once they're been fitted/removed a few times they lose some tension.

They're "Klik" clips.. you could do worse than invest in a Klik clip pliers (about a tenner) and the clips themselves ought to be available on fleabay too... The colour marks refers to the size but I think the size is stamped on the clips too.

Don't go the Jubilee route as a long term solution.. anything on the engine is a bit vibratory so a Jubilee will tend to unscrew (and they look 'orrible to my OCD.. :D ) If you can't avoid it, then put some silicon sealant into the thread of the clip just before you tighten it up the last turn - the sealant will help the clip to not unscrew by itself.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Back