Technical Leak in Heater...advice please

Currently reading:
Technical Leak in Heater...advice please

rossoliv

Hi All

New member here

I have s reg punto thats done 77,000 miles had 2 head gaskets been through all the problems on here.

The water level has been dropping and condensation inside windows means a leak on the heater "matrix" was found by garage cost approx £150 to fix...They have tried the rad fix granules at £3.50 but looks like it hasnt worked..

Does anyone have any ideas a cheap way of fixing...ie how hard is it to get to the leak myself.

cheers

secretmachine

i was getting inside condensation & steam blowing into the cabin...

i put one bottle of Barsleak into my system and there was no change, but i put a 2nd bottle in and now i don't have any probs, so it might be worth trying a 2nd bottle?

i don't get steam coming in at all now... there is a little condensation sometimes on a morning, but i think that's because my passenger window isn't quite 'wound up' properly, so there's a little gap.

fingers crossed for you!

T14086

Forum Moderator
Yep worth a try...also if yourairbag module is under the heater box cover it up,dont want the airbag going off in your face:eek:

tccat11

and if you got a mk1 the ecu might be under there as well so you def want to put that in a bag to keep dry else you will get keycode problems and wont be able to start car if it gets screwed dont tke any chances else will cost a lot of money

T14086

Forum Moderator
Or the autobox control unit if its a automatic......plastic bag over it whatever is there mate;)

teulk

secretmachine said:
i was getting inside condensation & steam blowing into the cabin...

i put one bottle of Barsleak into my system and there was no change, but i put a 2nd bottle in and now i don't have any probs, so it might be worth trying a 2nd bottle?

i don't get steam coming in at all now... there is a little condensation sometimes on a morning, but i think that's because my passenger window isn't quite 'wound up' properly, so there's a little gap.

fingers crossed for you!

yep took me two bottles also ( also a bottle of Forte radiator sealant to) and its fine - been ok for the past year and a half touch wood

OP
OP
R

rossoliv

tccat11 said:
and if you got a mk1 the ecu might be under there as well so you def want to put that in a bag to keep dry else you will get keycode problems and wont be able to start car if it gets screwed dont tke any chances else will cost a lot of money
Hi

Thanks for the advice its a mark 1 punto

Where do I put the bag to protect things...I aint got a clue and have only been told i have a leak on the matrix dont even know where it is

If you could advise please

cheers

OP
OP
R

rossoliv

thanks for the advice all..very very helpful

its a mark 1 punto

Where do I put the bag to protect things...I aint got a clue and have only been told i have a leak on the matrix dont even know where it is

Ill try some of the bar leak also

whats the best way to run the heater to mimimise the leak ( turned off ?)

If you could advise please

T14086

Forum Moderator
Pull off the panel(right side(right hand drive))to the left of the clutch pedal is,you will see ECU/airbag/autobox module there.Basically it sits under the heater box below the heater controls but slightly towards the front of the car....did i explain that ok?

OP
OP
R

rossoliv

thanks for that Ill have a look,,,

Not misted up today think the rad weld has fixed it..

Back suspension knocking now...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...bloody fiats