Latop Broken

Currently reading:
Latop Broken

now my grandparents have broken one of there laptops. it wont start from power or from battery. Now they always have it sat on the armrest making it get excessively hot. My theory is the Powersupply in the laptop has blown as it wont boot or power what so ever.

Now they wouldnt wait a while for me to have a good look as they wrere getting inpatient. So they took it back, the local computer shop w**ka came round and had a look. he told em its the CPU thats blown, now in my experience (hard learned :( lol) i beleive that a computer still powers up atleast even if the CPU has gone, am i not correct? mine did when i had blown up my cpu, It wont effect the powersupply will it not?

so they are now of to pc world, to there fixing centre to see what they think. Hmm what do you guys think?

now my grandparents have broken one of there laptops. it wont start from power or from battery. Now they always have it sat on the armrest making it get excessively hot. My theory is the Powersupply in the laptop has blown as it wont boot or power what so ever.

Now they wouldnt wait a while for me to have a good look as they wrere getting inpatient. So they took it back, the local computer shop w**ka came round and had a look. he told em its the CPU thats blown, now in my experience (hard learned :( lol) i beleive that a computer still powers up atleast even if the CPU has gone, am i not correct? mine did when i had blown up my cpu, It wont effect the powersupply will it not?

so they are now of to pc world, to there fixing centre to see what they think. Hmm what do you guys think?

Yes it will still power up if the processor, ram and hard drive is fried it will just do nothing or at the very most throw out a 'diagnostic beep'. More than likley something on the motherboard has gone which is why it wont power on. Failing that it could be a loose connection from the battery&ac input to the motherboard. Need to take it apart and have a proper look. Sounds like something terminal though :(.

woo atleast people agree with me, the pc guy form the shop is a so called "expert" in most peoples eyes :shakehead:

hmm ill take a look if they get it back form pc world lololol

Well these so called 'experts' are usually numpty's with one of these computeach qualifications or at the very most MCSE which arn't worth wipping your bottom on. Why is it at PC world they haven't took it there have they! :eek:. For what they will charge will be cheaper to buy a new laptop.

do myou know they have an onsite technical centre that fixes laptops and computers? thyeve just told em they dont fix them and it needs to go back to sony, i was calling em as i had an idea lol. hmm im gonna rip the poor bugger apart and see if i can fix it or not :chin:

should be interesting, laptops never go back the same now do they :confused: or is it just me?:confused: :p

do myou know they have an onsite technical centre that fixes laptops and computers? thyeve just told em they dont fix them and it needs to go back to sony, i was calling em as i had an idea lol. hmm im gonna rip the poor bugger apart and see if i can fix it or not :chin:

should be interesting, laptops never go back the same now do they :confused: or is it just me?:confused: :p

LOL depends. I've had various laptops in bits including 2-3 different Sony Vaio's and unfortunatly 1 of the sony's was the hardest one I had in bits but was about 3yr+ the other 2 where less than 2 yrs old and they where really easy (y). The trick is not to 'force' anything as if it doesn't come apart you've forgot a screw or its hidden behind a rubber bung.

psu failure sounds most likely.

what laptop is it? you find certain models suffer certain failures, same as cars, so its usually very easy to find repair instructions and parts if it is a common problem.

if you cant fix it yourself its usually better to buy a new laptop because repair costs are huge. if its 2+ years old then its very hard to justify repairing it.

they just either never come apart or never go back together with me lmao, tis funy watching me though, thrown one across room before, now that was in bits, easiest laptop ive taken to bits :D ( bloody toshibas lol)

the laptop in quesiton is a vaio. shudnt be too bad, just need to find time atm, got a dam busy week/month ahead of me :(

Thinking way way way back to the future...

I don't think my computer powered on the P4 processor was removed on an ABIT motherboard.

But I'm thinking way way way way back so could be mistaken.

As far as I was aware though, a computer needed a Power Supply AND a Processor to turn on. Without one of the two nothing would happen, I learned this when diagnosing my computer build and had to ask for assistance testing something. but again I could be mistaken and the advice I was given may have been incorrect.

Thinking way way way back to the future...

I don't think my computer powered on the P4 processor was removed on an ABIT motherboard.

But I'm thinking way way way way back so could be mistaken.

As far as I was aware though, a computer needed a Power Supply AND a Processor to turn on. Without one of the two nothing would happen, I learned this when diagnosing my computer build and had to ask for assistance testing something. but again I could be mistaken and the advice I was given may have been incorrect.

Nope a computer will Power on but not POST (Power on Self Test) without a processor but will do nothing not even beep.

Should still power on even if CPU has died.

The thing is it could be any number of trivial little things, for example the connector pin my have come away inside, the pin that links the power cable to the computer and battery. If the battery is flat and lead can't connect then that would explain y it won't come on.

I even knew a guy once who's power switch broke inside the case an PC world tried to tell him his motherboard had broke. They are theiving gits

Back