General Latest Tipos ... Multiecuscan Service Reset

Currently reading:
General Latest Tipos ... Multiecuscan Service Reset

AMMJ

Hi, Just wondered if anyone knew if Multiecuscan (or some other type of reasonably priced scan tool) works on the latest 1.0 litre turbo Tipos, allowing you to reset the service counter or counter(s)...or if there is an easy reliable on board method to do this. I read somewhere that certain new Fiat's have a security gateway module installed, making it dealer only. The new ones look decent value but this oil change palava puts me off...

Indeed the SGW is a real pain for those who have them fitted to their cars.

I DO NOT KNOW IF THE MODERN TIPO HAS SGW / EQUIVALENT INSTALLED (be that a hack or fully integrated into the body computer)

The good news for the time being (see later in post) is that you can fit a "bypass" module that will allow MES or any other diagnostic tool get around the SGW.

The SGW was a quick hack by Fiat to put some form of security protection into the EOBD system to stop write functions. Sadly being a quick hack instead of protecting what I call Security Functions (key programming, alarm codes, ECU codes, forced starting etc.,) the SGW just sits between the cars EOBD socket on the dash and the body computer and stops all write functions so one can not even reset an error code after fixing a problem.

Like I said the good news is that this SGW can be bypassed. The bad news for the future, which Fait have already done I believe on new model Ducatos?) is to integrate the SGW function into the Body Computer so there is no way to bypass it.

Also I believe that the EU is proposing (if not already passed) that in the future all vehicles produced after a certain date MUST employ fully encrypted CAN-Bus. Most manufacturers will already be preparing for this/similar, so like Fiat with the Ducato?, from now on they will be implementing CAN-Bus encryption.

Regarding the Tipo then you MUST talk to Gendan. https://www.gendan.co.uk/

They do a superior SGW bypass (https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_SGWBYPASS.html)

Would also recommend some research on where/if the Tipo has it's SGW installed.

https://squadra-tuning.com/obd-tools/sgw-bridge/

Varesecrazy, Thanks for the response and the offer and the pointer towards previous conversations. I'm only at the preliminary investigation stage. I was not even sure what the sgw actually was, physically and assumed it would have been something embedded in the ECU. I see now however that it is a device fitted between the connector port and the ECU. I see also that Genden apparently sell a cable specifically designed to bypass the sgw, and that when the location of the sgw is found under the dashboard and unplugged, you should be able to connect your windows pc directly to the car via this bypass cable and achieve overwrite acces for resetting and changing parameters etc, as before. All the info is on the Genden site so perhaps it is feasible, for the moment although not sure if a dealer would appreciate me clawing about under the dashboard of a prospective purchase to check for an SGW... When I read on through these conversations it does seem however that it is only a matter of time before the manufacturers in general start to introduce a full encryption system making ECU access and servicing dealer only, no exceptions. Throw in expensive new technologies, this transition towards electric propulsion that we are being more or less being ordered to make etc and perhaps the sun is setting on the days of home maintenance... Maybe, maybe not!

Aha S130, I actually wrote my reply (based upon a previous discussion you were a part of!) prior to realising that you had contributed to this new thread! But thank you for the fuller explanation here!

Aha S130, I actually wrote my reply (based upon a previous discussion you were a part of!) prior to realising that you had contributed to this new thread! But thank you for the fuller explanation here!
Well even now non Fiat Dealers can use either Fiat diag kit OR kit complying as detailed below. The problem thought is that expensive subscriptions are required and even if only for a day then you may still need one for technical info, one for parts info, etc.

Now for a Fiat dealer or any Fiat independent garage it makes sense to have volumes of Fiats thus making the subscriptions worth while and affordable. However for the small independent/other garage that works mainly on Fords, GM, VW, etc. and only ever a few Fiats then there is no incentive to fork out extra money for such low volume of Fiats.

1671878078903.png

S130, thanks for this. I can see that's it's all about the money, the manufacturer making money, the dealer recouping his investment etc etc. Companies like Gendan with owner orientated solutions like this must irritate the dealers / manufacturer but then again so many other manufacturers still provide a driver accessible service reset mechanism. I suppose for my conundrum, if I wanted to replace my ageing Tipo with a newer one at some point I'd need to, as you say, try and establish where / if later Tipos have an SGW installed.... Someone might know the answer...!

S130, thanks for this. I can see that's it's all about the money, the manufacturer making money, the dealer recouping his investment etc etc. Companies like Gendan with owner orientated solutions like this must irritate the dealers / manufacturer but then again so many other manufacturers still provide a driver accessible service reset mechanism. I suppose for my conundrum, if I wanted to replace my ageing Tipo with a newer one at some point I'd need to, as you say, try and establish where / if later Tipos have an SGW installed.... Someone might know the answer...!
You can always ask *several* Fiat dealers around the country dealers and see what they say (or don't).

Also you can register on the MES Forum (multiecuscan.net) and ask!

Back