Latest Electric Ducato .. Stellantis product

Currently reading:
Latest Electric Ducato .. Stellantis product

Apparently the Ducato has been singled out as having 'innovative' battery tech

Sounds a bit strange having Peugeot in the same stable.. but maybe the Ducato IS being treated as 'Special'

I'd say not, seems the lower version is the 50kw total (47kw usable) battery from the e208, partner, vivaro, c4 etc. Al.

It's decent tech due to it's above fast charge ability but given the difference in size between a corsa a ducato..probably not ideal. The bigger one seems to be unique at 74kw which doesn't match up to an existing stellantis electric product though.

I'd say not,
The bigger one seems to be unique at 74kw which doesn't match up to an existing stellantis electric product though.

I cannot link to the 'trade' article

But IIRC it is a batch of small 'cell groups' fitted in parrallel rather than series

So as time passes and the cells degrade you dont have one shorted cell having a massive effect on a 'series' chain of cells

So you might hit a sudden 5% capacity: power drop

But you wont be stranded immobile

( how..or indeed why.. this is groundbreaking remains to be seen)

Battery tech is the present investment focus.. as EV is obviously no longer a niche market

Mechanical losses outside of the 'battery box' is also seeing serious attention

Seeing smaller:lighter as a cheap and easy way to 'buy' range.

Battery tech is the present investment focus.. as EV is obviously no longer a niche market

Mechanical losses outside of the 'battery box' is also seeing serious attention

Seeing smaller:lighter as a cheap and easy way to 'buy' range.

I do hope so, I'm yet to be convinced a 2.5 tonne battery box on wheels that requires a 100kw fast charger to charge up in less than 3 days is environmentally sound from a whole life perspective.

It's clearly the future but it could go a number of different ways at present. It would be good if they tried to keep battery sizes down as much as possible and instead used them more efficiently. Currently the goal just seems to be keep loading them with more and more potential range...which in most cases is basically dead weight.

Tesla proved that BEVs can be efficient (low KWH per mile). They get longer range from the energy stored and charge faster as there's less energy needed to fill.

Who knows why the other OEMs can't get close to their standards. Sadly I fear they never will. There will be a tipping point where market for ICE (engine) cars will collapse suddenly. We may well be seeing the beginnings. Even when they are available (chip shortage), people are not buying new ICE cars and used cars command high prices and battery electric cars have waiting lists.

The old OEMs have a serious problem. Their profits are abysmal leaving no money for EV research so they just buy boxes from the likes of Bosch. By the time that lot is bolted together the end results are lack-lustre at best. If they launch too many EVs, the ICE market will collapse. If they don't deliver decent EVs, someone else will do it. OEMs can't afford to lose their ICE cash cow but its heading that way regardless.

( how..or indeed why.. this is groundbreaking remains to be seen)
I would have thought this would be more basic common sense? Oddly my garage man was pointing out this is the way to do it just this morning. Hes done a level 4 EV training course......
I do hope so, I'm yet to be convinced a 2.5 tonne battery box on wheels that requires a 100kw fast charger to charge up in less than 3 days is environmentally sound from a whole life perspective.
Yup you sum this whole thing up quite well I think. EV's yes but batteries, we are not there quite yet. We could have a battery vehicel for local miles and it would work for us apart from it costing 2 to 3 times the coast of a small ICE vehicle. The economics just make it impossible even if you want to play.

Well this is what it looks like technically: Enjoy

Generally educational/informative as I guess EV cars have similar setup.

1696404038298.png

1696404112655.png

1696404154882.png

1696404198942.png

1696404257201.png

Back