Lancia buffs....

Currently reading:
Lancia buffs....

What was the Lancia called, a one-off incorporating a supercharger and turbocharger? It was destined for Rallying but they called off the Group B before it could be used IIRC.
It's usually found for sale for silly money in posh car showrooms!

I believe you are refering to the great Lancia Delta S4, its a bit of an animal!:D

lancia-delta-3.jpg

Last edited:
it had a "triflux head" that is two inlets and two exhausts. lancia put a world patent on it. was never developed, but was estimated to make 750 - 850 bhp when developed. as it stood about 600bhp. would have been awesome.:)

Twas a strange car really, although it wasnt based on the road going delta (was infact completely different) they loosely based the shell on it.

I believe the rally car version put out more in the region of 480 bhp and the road going version had a mear 250 bhp!

The S4 was the reason Group B was banned after one of its drivers and co driver were killed in a crash on the Tour De Course.(n)

Oh no I'm thinking of something else.

This is what happened to the Delta Crash, you are quite right

"Unfortunately the car's legacy was tainted by Toivonen's fatal crash on the 1986 Corsican Rally, where the Finnish driver inexplicably missed a tight left-hand hairpin bend and plunged into a ravine, where his S4's fuel tanks exploded.
"

pinin__prestatyn said:
Oh no I'm thinking of something else.

This is what happened to the Delta Crash, you are quite right

"Unfortunately the car's legacy was tainted by Toivonen's fatal crash on the 1986 Corsican Rally, where the Finnish driver inexplicably missed a tight left-hand hairpin bend and plunged into a ravine, where his S4's fuel tanks exploded.
"
and the man who was really the only person to tame the car as well. a great driver.

LanciaMad said:
Twas a strange car really, although it wasnt based on the road going delta (was infact completely different) they loosely based the shell on it.

I believe the rally car version put out more in the region of 480 bhp and the road going version had a mear 250 bhp!

The S4 was the reason Group B was banned after one of its drivers and co driver were killed in a crash on the Tour De Course.(n)
basically they had 2 specs running. one for the twisty rallies [approx 480 to start and left at 560bhp approx] and the faster less torquey rallies like the african [ approx 600-650bhp]. alas its all history. rumour has been circulated that the head design might don a lancia engine again as seemly they have kept up the patent !:) (y)

pinin__prestatyn said:
That's right, I had the video somewhere of the Delta ploughing into the crowd and sending them flying like bowling pins :eek:

That was the Ford RS200 I think. I wouldn't say there was one car solely responsible for the death of group B, was all of them combined! The S4 did get a chance to rally and won it's debut event. I prefer the Lancia 037, last RWD world championship winning car:slayer:

I prefer the Lancia 037, last RWD world championship winning car

My favourites are the Stratos, Fulvia and the Evo although the 037 was the dogs!

Back