Technical Koni Classic shocks

Currently reading:
Technical Koni Classic shocks

HiroS

6AE432FF-F3FC-42FA-8BF3-BC9CFEB6EF7C.jpeg
Hello Just joined the club.
I’m thinking of refreshing the suspension. I’m inclined to fit Koni Classics for the shocks but do you know how they fare against the (standard black) ones available on Ricambio/Auto Bella - i.e. is the additional cost worth it? They will be just for normal road driving but additional stability would be nice.
Another question is whether the front and rear shocks are the same for the Konis.
Thank you
Hiro

View attachment 422714Hello Just joined the club.
I’m thinking of refreshing the suspension. I’m inclined to fit Koni Classics for the shocks but do you know how they fare against the (standard black) ones available on Ricambio/Auto Bella - i.e. is the additional cost worth it? They will be just for normal road driving but additional stability would be nice.
Another question is whether the front and rear shocks are the same for the Konis.
Thank you
Hiro
The front shocks (or 'dampers' to give them their correct name---they damp out spring oscilation) are different front to rear. Koni are a good make with a very sound reputation. GAZ in Essex (Basildon) make 'coil-over' units for the 500/126, might be worthwhile seeing if they do dampers for the 500. They are a very helpful Company, and being that everything is custom-made, very reasonably priced.
If the dampers on your car are still the original, fitting new may well stiffen the suspension and give better road holding

The front shocks (or 'dampers' to give them their correct name---they damp out spring oscilation) are different front to rear. Koni are a good make with a very sound reputation. GAZ in Essex (Basildon) make 'coil-over' units for the 500/126, might be worthwhile seeing if they do dampers for the 500. They are a very helpful Company, and being that everything is custom-made, very reasonably priced.
If the dampers on your car are still the original, fitting new may well stiffen the suspension and give better road holding
Thank you very much.

Hi Hiro,
I have obtained a set of Gaz dampers for the 500/126 they are fully adjustable for Bump and Rebound and are a straight swap. Not sure of the price and be aware that they are made to order only.
Ian.
Hi Ian
Thanks v much.
I’ve found out that GAZ does a kit comprising of front and rear coil overs and dampers for GBP619. As it’s expensive I’ve enquired with GAZ if they would make much difference on normal driving. Suspect they are over-spec for my purpose.
Probably will end up getting a Sachs set up which is priced in between the standard and Konis.
BR
Hiro

Hi Ian
Thanks v much.
I’ve found out that GAZ does a kit comprising of front and rear coil overs and dampers for GBP619. As it’s expensive I’ve enquired with GAZ if they would make much difference on normal driving. Suspect they are over-spec for my purpose.
Probably will end up getting a Sachs set up which is priced in between the standard and Konis.
BR
Hiro
Putting 'coil-overs' onto the 500 is not a 'straight-swap' operation. I have GAZ 'coil-overs' on the front of my 500, along with the required cross-member/wishbone suspension, but I have just dampers on the rear (Koni adjustable funnily enough!). If it is just a "firming-up" improvement that you are looking for, just put 'dampers only' front and rear. That will be a lot less than £619.

Hi just an update. Fitted the Sachs front and rear shocks and new standard height rear springs (from Ricambio uk). Definitely feel the bumps more but the steering is noticeably more precise with less roll and (what feels like) a quicker straight line speed. Changed the character of the car from a comfortable though a little springy one to a more sporty but less comfortable one.
It all depends on what one looks for in the car. I find the old set up more charming, and this car is all about the charm for me.. Oh well, hopefully the dampers will mellow somewhat over time.

Looking at my prior posts, I was looking for firming up.. so got what I asked for - just that the firming up was more than what I expected. Keeping the “standard” rear dampers (like the ones Toshi posted) so that one doesn’t feel the bums so much on one’s backside but changing the front to Sachs/Koni/GAZ may be the best balance. BTW didn’t change the front leaf springs which probably was a good decision.
Cheers

Hi just an update. Fitted the Sachs front and rear shocks and new standard height rear springs (from Ricambio uk). Definitely feel the bumps more but the steering is noticeably more precise with less roll and (what feels like) a quicker straight line speed. Changed the character of the car from a comfortable though a little springy one to a more sporty but less comfortable one.
It all depends on what one looks for in the car. I find the old set up more charming, and this car is all about the charm for me.. Oh well, hopefully the dampers will mellow somewhat over time.
A further update. The initial harshness is now less noticeable. The car is noticeably quicker in straight line and holds the corners much better than stock shocks. While the comfort of the stock ones is an attractive feature, net net believe made the right decision

Back