thank you in anticipation
andy davies lincoln

hi all i have a fiat 500d
i want to change just the rubbers on the rear shock absorbers
have you got to lower the complete rear suspension to do this
i cant see a fixing point at the top
thank you in anticipation
andy davies lincoln
Put the car up on stands at the rear on the (if possible) jacking points.If you are worried about the integraty of the jacking points, put a STRONG beam across the car just ahead of the rear suspension arms and put the stands under the beam. Put a jack under a rear suspension arm,lift it slightly ro take the load off the nuts at the top and bottom of the dampers (correct name for 'shock-absorbers'), Undo the nuts top and bottom, lower the jack so that the spring extends, but NOT to the point that the spring comes out of its mounting cups to and bottom. Reach between the coils of the spring and shorten the damper so that you can lift the lower threaded section out of the wishbone and drop the damper out through the hole in the wishbone (just behind the lower mounting point for the damper). If the damper won't come through the hole, you MAY have to drop the suspension-arm so that the spring falls out at the top, and then you can just lift the damper out. If you have nimble fingers you might be able to replace the rubbers without having to completely lower a rear spring. Be careful when you re-fit the spring---it goesinto particular location on both the lower and upper cups. Fit the new rubbers and reverse the operation to refit the damper. Before you try and undo the top and bottom nuts, give them a good spray with WD40 (or similar). Both the top and bottom damper threaded sections have a small 'flat'on the end---this is so that you can hold the threaded section with a spanner still whilst you undo the nuts.

Back