General Knock from front end

Currently reading:
General Knock from front end

sunbeamsupreme

My M.W. has developed a knocking rumbling sound from the offside front wheel at least that is what it sounds like. It started on friday and got worse today, this happens mainly on overrun and slowing down and is consistant with road speed and wheel rotation. I will take it to the garage tomorrow and will possibly be cycling to work this week as I do not want to aggrevate the problem till it is fixed. This does not feel like engine mounts or crank pulley as it only happens with road speed as if it is a wheel bearing fault. There is also a little vibration in the cabin. any suggestions please this is my first fault in one and a half years ownership, the car is a J.T.D.

I own 1.6 16V Active Sport. 2 months ago I changed my gearbox and clutch (since gearbox oil leaked out and deadly damaged it). It was fine for a month - droved smoothly almost made me to forget the bloody expensive story.....till I noticed that the gearbox oil is leaking again :bang:, got back to the service and they blamed it on the broken seal which was fixed. So the oil leak problem seams to be fixed..... but a week later I noticed a very similar sound to sunbeamsupreme (below).

On low speeds (2nd, 3rd gear) and at slowing down a dull noise from the outside as it was coming from rotor parts, could be wheels, similar to rumbling kicks in; I would not describe it as knocking but I believe is the same kind of thing. Funny thing, it is not consistent some days you could really hear it, and some - it quietens down making you think you are fantasizing.

I have suspicion based on the sound that this could be related to the displacement of some parts connecting to the gearbox e.g. shaft? Even though I shall admit my knowledge in this field is 0.

Does anybody have a clue when changing gearbox, fixing seal what exactly is being affected and could be displaced?

Another theory that I have in mind is the break pads, as the sound strength seems to be synchronised with the wheels rotation speed????

I am just tired taking my car to the garages and loosing my money without a clear understanding what the real issue could be:mad:...

P.S. does anybody know where I could get detailed gearbox (ideally Fiat, any other similar would do too) drawings from?

My M.W. has developed a knocking rumbling sound from the offside front wheel at least that is what it sounds like. It started on friday and got worse today, this happens mainly on overrun and slowing down and is consistant with road speed and wheel rotation. I will take it to the garage tomorrow and will possibly be cycling to work this week as I do not want to aggrevate the problem till it is fixed. This does not feel like engine mounts or crank pulley as it only happens with road speed as if it is a wheel bearing fault. There is also a little vibration in the cabin. any suggestions please this is my first fault in one and a half years ownership, the car is a J.T.D.

Hi All
The first thing to check is the wheel nuts are tight.
Try jacking up the front and spinning the wheels by hand, see if you can pin the noise down.
Make sure that the disc back plate isn’t touching the disc especially if you have hit deep water at speed recently; I have known this to bend the back plate.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the suggestions, there are no oil leaks and the sound is slightly aggrevated by bumps and there is vibration in the cabin. I am thinking this fault could be driveshaft related

Can,t believe it the wheel nuts were loose on passenger side, I will have to check this each week and if it keeps happening maybe get new nuts. Once tightened up no noise back to a smooth Stilo. Thanks for the help.

I have checked my wheels too, all fine, so my noise is not related to that...oh dear:confused:...however over the past two days it has been hardly noticeable...will investigate what this could be.... i still think it is most probably not wheels, but will try to clean the break pads, thanks for the replies...

Back