Technical Knob that controls the air direction is stuck.

Currently reading:
Technical Knob that controls the air direction is stuck.

aurick86

Established member
Hello,

I'm having trouble with my 1.4SX 12v '98 Bravo:
the knob that controls the air direction ( to legs .. to windscreen ) is stuck.
it started out being a bit stiff to move to the left most setting and now it does not move at all.

Any ideas on how i might fix it? do i need to take out the entire dashboard ??:(

The mixing knob is attached to the actual disk, which controls the flaps, via cable.
You need to remove the facia (only fanspeed knob pulls out without removing the facia). There is one in Guides section.
You should be able to see the cables, you can try removing the switch assembly the gain access behind it to remove the cable from the knob and check/force oil in them.
If the actual disk/flaps are jammed, well...its on the side and prettymuch means removing the heater box.

Remembered I had seen them somewhere so here.
You can see the cable from the knob to the disk. when turning left its, pushing the cable. Maybe few wires have come broken inside the sleeve and jammed the whole thing?

Update:
Sorry but no pictures...
-had to take the dash out.. that took me about 2 hours (to long because i didn't know where all the bolts and screws were)
-i now had access to the heater box unit..
-on the side of the heater box there is something like a disc with 3 slots;
-in the slots go pins for the 3 valves /flaps that influence the direction of air ( windscreen, feet, face);
-when the knob is switched the wire pushes/pulls the disc and the disc moves the pins that move cranks that move the valves accordingly.

My problem was that some of the pins got out of the slots in the disc;
After some mingling i got it working.(used grease freely on the pins and the slots).

With the dash out I got to routing and soldering some poorly fitted wires from the remote locking..

When it was all done i had about 6-7 screws/bolts left over :confused:
so i concluded that the Italians used to many:D

All electrics, knobs and buttons working again.

Last edited:
Thank you, did that passenger side this AM and found other end of cable right up there, lubed with plus gas and dubbed some grease on it whilst moving it, seemed to help but there is still a jerky stickshen that seems to have no backlash in the knob its self as if the circumference of knob sticking on case? pulled knob off and lubed everything in area, same , got in drivers footwell and fired some plusgass at back of knob and got some grease on cable there to but it still seems like the knob is over damped and notchy
! still i can move it now thank you

Back