Technical Keys!!!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Keys!!!!!

tarathedog

I've just bought my wife a 2001 Multipla, it was a private deal and I am extremely happy with the car except for one thing. Once I had done the deal I was given only one Key and was told by the seller that it was the only key supplied to him when he bought the car some 18 months ago, not too much of a problem I thought.
To my annoyance when I got the car home the key which is blue has a little button and a tiny led light on it did nothing when I clicked it. The car would lock ok with the key in the door. I replaced the battery and still the same.

So to the point.

Should the key / fob be a remote that will lock and unlock the doors by a click of the button or is it just to arm / disarm the alarm.

Should the alarm not arm itself automatically? when the car is locked

Should there be a red key as well as the blue one

Where can I get another key, does it have to be a main dealer as i suspect it will cost for a dealer replacement.

I hope someone can help

Last edited:
I've just bought my wife a 2001 Multipla, it was a private deal and I am extremely happy with the car except for one thing. Once I had done the deal I was given only one Key and was told by the seller that it was the only key supplied to him when he bought the car some 18 months ago, not too much of a problem I thought.
To my annoyance when I got the car home the key which is blue has a little button and a tiny led light on it did nothing when I clicked it. The car would lock ok with the key in the door. I replaced the battery and still the same.

So to the point.

Should the key / fob be a remote that will lock and unlock the doors by a click of the button or is it just to arm / disarm the alarm.

Where can I get another key, does it have to be a main dealer as i suspect it will cost for a dealer replacement.

I hope someone can help

Thr key is a remote locking/alarm, and originally there would have been two identical blue ones - one's obviously gone adrift.

Usually the reason the button stops working is because the wee microswitch which the button operates has come loose from the circuit board. If the microswitch hasn't got lost when the battery was replaced, it's easy enough to re-solder it back on.

To find if it's still loose inside the key, carefully split it open over a piece of paper and give it a gentle shake. With luck the microswitch will still be inside and should drop out.

Aren't FIAT electrics wonderful...

Thanks for that Zundapp, BUT the Microswitch is in place so i suspect it may be the electronics that are at fault

I hope someone can help

fob control locking & alarm (if fitted) could just need reprogramming/battery?

main dealer yes (ordered to chassis number, you need ID & proof of ownership) as for cost around £70-80.

Back