Keys code 2 intermittent problem

Currently reading:
Keys code 2 intermittent problem

servisol30

Hi All
I have been reading these forums for the last few days. I think I have read every post and thread relating to key code and immobiliser problems, which I have, so I'm now asking for help on here.
Here is the back ground; I have the use of a holiday car (Punto 2000 1.2 16v ELX CVT ) in Italy which remains in a garage with the battery disconnected for 11 months of the year. When I arrived I connected the battery and the car started as always in previous years. I let it run for 20 mins and switched off. After about an hour I returned to the car but this time I used the second key to start it and the dreaded key code light would not switch off, I tried the origional key, same problem.
1. I tried the emergency start procedure, but I could not get it to work. I thought this odd as I have used the procedure on another Punto in the past.
2. I disconnected the battery and short circuited the live and the earth lead (to discharge all residual current in the ECU/BSI ) and the car started (fuel pump primes and code light goes out).
3. When I did this the first time I thought that would be that, however, after switching off a few times and at a different location the same thing happened. Neither key starts the car unless I discharge as described earlier.
4. This went on for about a day so I took it to a local mechanic, when I got there both keys worked fine. After about 5 start attempts, with both keys, the problem reoccurred and then had to do the battery reset procedure to get it going again.
5. I am a mechanic by trade, but have limited tools where I am (multi-meter, a few spanners and screwdrivers). I removed the BSI, unplugged all cables and even separated BSI from the fuse box. All connections looked fine, no signs of any corrosion, put it all back but still had the same problem. Unplugged ECU plugs, once again fine.
6. I have checked the earth on the ECU, removed and cleaned as many earth points under the bonnet that I can see.
7. Checked connections to transponder ring/antennae.
8. Carried out earth volt drop under cranking 0.2V.
9. Battery voltage 12.25V with ignition on.
I am at a loss! The only way to start the car is to carry out a battery discharge, then it can work a few times or just once. I have been to another mechanic and he is talking about virginising the ECU and disconnecting the BSI. From reading these forums I'm not sure if this will work or solve the problem and it seems very last resort. Apart from this issue the car drives normally and all consumer electrics work fine. The other problem I have is that I'm in a very rural town, 100 + Km from the nearest major city. Can anyone help?

Update:-

Having seen lots of faults cured by earthing problems so I have fitted a additional earth lead from battery negative terminal and engine ECU, I have also fitted a new car battery. I also checked resistance on transponder ring/antennae (32 Ohms) I'm still getting same problems

I also posted on Punto MK2 forum but I think this forum is more relevant.

Thanks

Hello,

I'm very new on the Forum and have limited experience with immobilisers. But I'm here trying to help you!

Did you already runned the diagnostic software onto the car? To see of there are any error's logged in the ECU after a failed start attempt? And it seems that the problem is in the ECU, cause everytime it get's a 'hard' reset the car starts without problems.

Did you also check all the capacitors inside the ECU? Cause if one of them is damaged, that would lead to memory problems etc..So check them by sight first, and then check them with the multimeter.

Hello,

I'm very new on the Forum and have limited experience with immobilisers. But I'm here trying to help you!

Did you already runned the diagnostic software onto the car? To see of there are any error's logged in the ECU after a failed start attempt? And it seems that the problem is in the ECU, cause everytime it get's a 'hard' reset the car starts without problems.

Did you also check all the capacitors inside the ECU? Cause if one of them is damaged, that would lead to memory problems etc..So check them by sight first, and then check them with the multimeter.

Thanks for your input, :)

servisol30 may well update these threads as progress is made,

Charlie

Back