General Keys..... (Again if you're on this site lots)

Currently reading:
General Keys..... (Again if you're on this site lots)

totaly immobilised

Hi I have a 96 1.6 Brava, I've read every key related thread on the entire site over the last 2 days, which has saved me a lot of wasting money on unecessary & uneeded parts, cheers everyone good info.(y)

but :bang: still have car imitating a static caravan:bang: looks a hell of a lot better tho.

I have the 3 original fiat dealer / manufacturer supplied keys all original, 1 red, 2 blue. They all open the doors via C/L & turn the ignition.
Untill last Sat the 2 blue keys worked fine no probs whatsoever since I bought it 6 months ago, or under the original owner whom I know indirectly,
then on Sat it started to choke & lose power, within 300 yards of acting dodgy cut the fuel off completly, no power & no steering, all the electrics were & are still working great V.bright lights etc (thank whatever that I wasn't travelling to work on the m-way:eek: ), but a previously unseen symbol lit up on the dash, looks like a hairdryer/opened champagne bottle, its immediatly left of the battery light from drivers seat perspective, I dont have the handbook & original owner seems to have lost it, is this related to the ECU? or just the fuel pump? or other?

After reading many posts & contacting some mechanics I was lead to the most obvious fault, that the ECU was rejecting the blue (slave) keys & needed re setting. The accepted way to do this via info gathered from this site seems to be to:
1. insert red master key, wait for code light to go off (3 secs-ish)
2. insert 1st blue slave key, wait for code light to go off (3 secs-ish)
3. insert 2nd blue slave key, wait for code light to go off (3 secs-ish)
4. re-insert red master key, wait for code light to go off (3 secs-ish)
5. dont take any longer than 10 secs in carrying out steps 1-4 individually.

Is this correct? seems straight forward but i've now tried it till i've gone both red & blue with no success.:cry: I'm starting to think theres a step i'm not doing or somethings broken.
I noticed that if I try steps 1-4 with a 5-6 sec wait the haidryer/champagne bottle symbol goes out, repeated the process alowing for all keys to do this no positive results either.
Also the Red master key has only managed to get the car running once, this seems a little alarming, but i have been trying to program it for hours now as i really needed it for work yesterday but didn't have the master key then.
I'll try it again after this post, its been sometime since I messed with it now.

I have had another mystery light that appears intermitantly on the dash, an orange stop light in a half rectangle with 2 circles underneath it, had the brakes checked as soon as I noticed it along with other things but couldn't find anything wrong, is it related to this current prob? I'd just figured it was the standard Italian 'you are using the brakes..... Why?' warning;)

you're 'champagne bottle' symbol is the fuel injector. Had the same problem with my 1.4 its come on 3 times now in the 3 months ish i've had it, sounds as though that might be your problem

on the 1.6 its always a fuel injector failure. very very very common. i could sell a dozen injectors a week easily. get to a scrapyard and remove an injector (£5). its a really easy job to do yourself.

if you have a few days spare you could read the many threads about 1.6 injector failure. there's even more info about that than key codes. you'll find instructions on how to identify, diagnose and repair injector failure.

dont rule out coil pack failure, that can be easily diagnosed and repaired too, and you'll find plenty of info about coil failure on the injector threads.

by the way, your keys are not a problem if the orange key code light is not remaining illuminated.

(y)

(y)
Thanks people i'll stop tearing my hair out over an non key existant problem then.

Off to buy some injectors, then to work, fingers crossed.:)

Back