Technical Key Fob Boot Release Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Key Fob Boot Release Problem

Hi All.

My wife has a Fiat 500 and she has come to me with a little issue. Since I don't use the Fiat 500 as my daily drive, I am not familiar with the car's workings. Therefore I thought I would share this issue with you and perhaps one of you could perhaps help solve our dilemma.

Issue: (Key Fob and Boot Release)

As you are all aware, the Fiat 500 comes with a Remote Key Fob with three buttons.

1. Unlock
2. Lock
3. Boot Release Only

My wife has said that the Unlock button (1) would normally unlock all the doors and the boot. However now when she presses the Unlock button it just opens the doors and leaves the boot closed. The only way to open the boot now is to press button (3) for the Boot Release.

From past experience this is how I believe these types of keys generally worked. Button 1 unlocks all doors inc. boot. Button 2 locks all doors inc. boot. Button 3 releases the boot but leaves the car doors locked and then as you finish in the boot and close it, the boot will relock.

So if any of you nice folk could please confirm if the boot should release when you unlock the car with button 1. That would be great. If it is supposed to open then how do I go about fixing it. Where do I start to look?

Thanks.

I think there is a setting "Independent Boot" in the car's settings menu (press the round menu button on the right of the instrument cluster). When I had a 500, I had a bit of difficulty getting into that menu - it would beep, but not display - I think the solution was to turn the stereo off first. Car has to be stationary as well.

When "Independent Boot" is turned on, it behaves as you describe - turn it off and the boot release handle should work whenever the doors are unlocked. If not, it's likely to be frayed wiring inside the rubber concertina near the tailgate hinge.

-Alex

I can't imagine it would be the boot wiring, I'd have thought that it wouldn't work with either button then

I can't imagine it would be the boot wiring, I'd have thought that it wouldn't work with either button then

I was thinking if the boot release handle isn't functioning (i.e. as though the boot is locked), it could be the wiring or the microswitch itself jammed up with dirt. I interpreted "leaves the boot closed" to mean "leaves the boot locked, release handle not functioning".

-Alex

Last edited:
I have not heard of the independent boot setting before. I think the OP's car is acting normally as Maxi says.

Well, I could be confusing it with my Stilo which definitely has that setting, but I think it's worth a look in that menu anyway. I remember changing something when my 500's boot didn't seem to respond normally.

I wonder if the release handle clicks normally or whether it feels stuck. It's normally possible to feel the click of the microswitch.

-Alex

Button 1 only unlocks the boot, it doesn't open it like the boot release button does.

I see. Button 1 does not unlock the boot. It will unlock the doors but as soon as I go round and press the switch under the boot handle, nothing. Locked.

So it looks to me that I do indeed have a fault.

I think there is a setting "Independent Boot" in the car's settings menu (press the round menu button on the right of the instrument cluster). When I had a 500, I had a bit of difficulty getting into that menu - it would beep, but not display - I think the solution was to turn the stereo off first. Car has to be stationary as well.

When "Independent Boot" is turned on, it behaves as you describe - turn it off and the boot release handle should work whenever the doors are unlocked. If not, it's likely to be frayed wiring inside the rubber concertina near the tailgate hinge.

-Alex

I will check the computer to see if there is an option to turn it on.

Hi All.

My wife has a Fiat 500 and she has come to me with a little issue. Since I don't use the Fiat 500 as my daily drive, I am not familiar with the car's workings. Therefore I thought I would share this issue with you and perhaps one of you could perhaps help solve our dilemma.

Issue: (Key Fob and Boot Release)

As you are all aware, the Fiat 500 comes with a Remote Key Fob with three buttons.

1. Unlock
2. Lock
3. Boot Release Only

My wife has said that the Unlock button (1) would normally unlock all the doors and the boot. However now when she presses the Unlock button it just opens the doors and leaves the boot closed. The only way to open the boot now is to press button (3) for the Boot Release.

From past experience this is how I believe these types of keys generally worked. Button 1 unlocks all doors inc. boot. Button 2 locks all doors inc. boot. Button 3 releases the boot but leaves the car doors locked and then as you finish in the boot and close it, the boot will relock.

So if any of you nice folk could please confirm if the boot should release when you unlock the car with button 1. That would be great. If it is supposed to open then how do I go about fixing it. Where do I start to look?

Thanks.

Hi JoskeJTD,

I wonder if it's something as basic as the boot switch getting a bit grubby.

When you go and press button 1 and then try and open the boot up (pressing the boot switch), can you hear anything?

If not, it's probably a similar issue to the one on this thread in the Panda section:

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/311609-boot-mechanism-7.html

See my post 100 on that thread. If it is just that then it will save you a lot hassle! I used to have to use button 3 all of the time to open the boot, but once I managed to get a close look at the button, it was clear that it was just full of mud and grime.

By the way, I did actually use WD-40 and I know some people on here wouldn't recommend doing that. So just worth pointing out. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but it hasn't caused a problem since!:p

Last edited:
Hi JoskeJTD,

I wonder if it's something as basic as the boot switch getting a bit grubby.

When you go and press button 1 and then try and open the boot up (pressing the boot switch), can you hear anything?

If not, it's probably a similar issue to the one on this thread in the Panda section:

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/311609-boot-mechanism-7.html

See my post 100 on that thread. If it is just that then it will save you a lot hassle! I used to have to use button 3 all of the time to open the boot, but once I managed to get a close look at the button, it was clear that it was just full of mud and grime.

By the way, I did actually use WD-40 and I know some people on here wouldn't recommend doing that. So just worth pointing out. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but it hasn't caused a problem since!:p

If I press button 1 and then try opening the boot with the handle on the boot I hear nothing. Once I have used button 3 to open the boot I can press the boot handle and it'll make an electronic pulse noise all the time.

I will go read the panda thread now.

Thanks.

If I press button 1 and then try opening the boot with the handle on the boot I hear nothing. Once I have used button 3 to open the boot I can press the boot handle and it'll make an electronic pulse noise all the time.

I will go read the panda thread now.

Thanks.

Yeah, that sounds about right. You won't hear the mechanism working because the button is unable to engage properly; most likely because of mud and grime. The buttons are pretty much identical on the 500 and Panda, and of course it's the same key fob.

The thread I quoted above - check out post 89 by SCORCHIO12. That explains exactly what to look for. Nothing complicated at all(y)

All the best!

Hi All.
Thanks.

Just to answer your original query, when you press button 1 (Top) it should open the doors AND the boot. I have had 4 500s from 2008 to 2013 models and I have never seen any menu option regarding the boot. The only item that relates to locking (AFAIK) is Autoclose which automatically locks the doors & boot when you reach a certain speed.

I couldn't say if there are other menu options on non UK cars.

Ok Mr Pedantic. :p

Of course you are correct, in my defence all I can say is that I was speaking in the vernacular, (Fiat Speak that is).

Can you now get onto Fiat and tell them that all of our cars are faulty as the "Autoclose" feature in the menu options only locks the doors, it doesn't actually close them. :p

Have you tried it?

Same thing happened to my 1.2 POP

As it was in year 3 of warranty I just went to my dealer who replaced the entire part. The handle / number plate lights / chrome bit (sorry I cannot remember its name).

Initially thought that the lock was frozen as it did it intermittently, mostly on cold days, but then it happened on a mild day, so straight round to the dealer.

:)

I had the same with my 59 plate 1.2 Sport! It was covered under warranty, I think they replaced the switch inside the handle!

Hi Guys. Just to let you know I removed the boot handle switch, cleaned it out and lubed it up with liquid grease. Works a treat. It was getting stuck as mentioned. WD40 eventually drys out so I recommend you use grease.

Thanks again for all your help and replies.

Back