Technical Key code immobiliser problem.

Currently reading:
Technical Key code immobiliser problem.

domster

I have a Punto ELX 90 P reg which won't start because the key code light is on. I have tried the red key and the two blue keys but the key code light remains on. The engine turns over but won't fire because of the immobiliser. My local garage says I need a new ECU, Ignition Pack and immobiliser with key. Is this correct? Despite a lot of searching I can't find anything for the 1.6l engine of my car only 1.2l, would that do?

I know I should scrap the car but it has been in the family since new and has done under 40k and was a nice little runner before this problem. Should I give up and scap it or can it be saved?

The 1.2 stuff won't do it -- you have a different ECU.

There are companies out there that can rebuild or virginise ECUs. There will be 1.6s out there being broken.

BUT I'd suspect an issue between the chip reader (on the ignition barrel) and the code box -- try tracing the antenna wire (usually looks like the kind of twin core stuff on your Gran's old bedside light) back to the box -- check for breaks, contacts at the end, etc.

If in doubt, a local autoelectrician may offer alternatives that the garage doesn't know about.

I know I should scrap the car but it has been in the family since new and has done under 40k and was a nice little runner before this problem. Should I give up and scap it or can it be saved?

Why should you scrap it!!! :eek:

Worst case scenario is changing a few bits from a car being broken, its not massive issue to swap these parts over.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-punt...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f36ae18ce

But do trace the wires back and check for faulty connections/connectors and the like first.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks Blu73, I have fiddled with wires and connections to no avail. So can I buy your ECU and accessories please.

Also thanks to everyone else for their advice.

Cheers Domster.

Last edited:
Thanks any way, I had a good look on ebay and I couldn't find anything. I hope it does the trick.

The 1.2 stuff won't do it -- you have a different ECU.

There are companies out there that can rebuild or virginise ECUs. There will be 1.6s out there being broken.

BUT I'd suspect an issue between the chip reader (on the ignition barrel) and the code box -- try tracing the antenna wire (usually looks like the kind of twin core stuff on your Gran's old bedside light) back to the box -- check for breaks, contacts at the end, etc.

If in doubt, a local autoelectrician may offer alternatives that the garage doesn't know about.

how do u make them virgins again?

1.1 petrol, I know this is an old post but im currently having the same issue, couple weeks ago the car couldnt start at all so i made a new key with a completely new code witch the key guy implemented in the immobilizer, now it only partially works, sometimes the key light dissapears and sometimes it doesnt, for example in the morning when i start my car to go to work it works completely fine, but when i turn of the car and try to start again the key light doesnt turn off, and i have to wait some time for it to work again, some local mechanics told me it could be a problem with the crankshaft position sensor so i changed it but it still persists, could it be a problem with the antenna on the steering lock?

Back