General Kangaroo hopping in 1st

Currently reading:
General Kangaroo hopping in 1st

warwick1

Hope someone can help....

Mk1 GT (no mods) which has developed a nasty habit of kangaroo hopping when pulling away in first gear. It's making it difficult to drive and before I get any smart a*se comments, it's nothing to do with my driving style:rolleyes:

No engine managment light so i don't think it's a sensor issue - any ideas??

Cheers!

Hope someone can help....

Mk1 GT (no mods) which has developed a nasty habit of kangaroo hopping when pulling away in first gear. It's making it difficult to drive and before I get any smart a*se comments, it's nothing to do with my driving style:rolleyes:

No engine managment light so i don't think it's a sensor issue - any ideas??

Cheers!

potential Missfire

Check the plugs - might need replacing

Ziggy

Thanks Ziggy.

If it was the plugs surely it would missfire through all the gears? This only happens in 1st....:confused:

Check for splits in any of the intake hoses. This is the first thing I look for when suffering the dreaded 'Roos.

Thanks - have checked these and they look fine. No splits.

I just can't figure out what's the problem - the car drives fine in all other gears it's just when pulling away that the hopping starts:bang:

Any other ideas??

Thanks guys - clutch is relatively new (about 20k old) and there are no other indicators that clutch is worn or bearing stiff.

It feels like it is more of an engine prob rather than gearbox - the engine sort of gets 'bogged down'/hesitates at pull off which then causes the hopping to start...

As i've said, no engine management light so I presume all is ok with fuel/air mixture and other electrical systems???:confused:

Could be lambda sensor? If it's a bit slow to react then it'll misread the air/fuel ratio and cause hassle. Things like thsi are more noticeable in 1st gear due to the torque reaction. It probably happens in the other gears, you just don't notice it.

The lambda can be duff and not flag a trouble as it's still 'working' just doing it slowly. When was it last MOT'd, it would prob pass an MOT with a slow sensor as they just test at tickover and at a fairly constant 'fast idle'???

Back