Tuning k&n filter

Currently reading:
Tuning k&n filter

just googled it and basically from what i read the tube becomes hot meaning the air passing though it warms up meaning the air's temp warms up resulting in hot air being inducted thus reducing the engines power...

any way you can stop the heat? insulate it or such?

just googled it and basically from what i read the tube becomes hot meaning the air passing though it warms up meaning the air's temp warms up resulting in hot air being inducted thus reducing the engines power...

any way you can stop the heat? insulate it or such?

It is partly the heat soak from the pipe as well as from filter. On top of it the high location of the Focus kit will obviously drag in hotter air. Air intake temp test have shown about 18 degrees difference on an average British summer day.

The buy ICE for silly money, which can't give you the sound quality the money they cost.

Oit people buy ICE for Silly money and actually enjoy trying to make the best of the less than ideal installation environment. At the end of the day the only other place that Joe Average has to listen to music properly is the home where you face things like pissed off neighbors and ornaments that are likely to fall from there position.
So while 1w in a car may not have anywhere near the efficiency of 1w of a concrete environment we dont all have opera halls to practice such set ups ;)

If were going to start talking about this sort of thing then why are people trying to sell products that increase power on small capacity N/A engines without any modification to the actual block itself.
You may see gains on RR but do you really actually feel it on the road after its all bedded in.

I put a K&N(filter not an induction kit - my insurance is already stupidly high)on my mk1 and it made absolutley no difference to performance.
If I had bought it all full cost then I would of been mightily anoyed but I got it from a local halfords bargin bin.

The guy checked to price and normaly would of been about £60 but I paid the grand total of £15.

Makes you wonder how they can charge £60 when they can do them for £15 and no doubt still make a profit.:confused:

The one thing I did find with the K&N - and this may just be psychological - was that the engine note seemed to change and sounded a little more "beefy"

I put a K&N(filter not an induction kit - my insurance is already stupidly high)on my mk1 and it made absolutley no difference to performance.
If I had bought it all full cost then I would of been mightily anoyed but I got it from a local halfords bargin bin.

The guy checked to price and normaly would of been about £60 but I paid the grand total of £15.

Makes you wonder how they can charge £60 when they can do them for £15 and no doubt still make a profit.:confused:

The one thing I did find with the K&N - and this may just be psychological - was that the engine note seemed to change and sounded a little more "beefy"

It will sound more beefy and have you never heard of selling things at a loss just to get rid.

If were going to start talking about this sort of thing then why are people trying to sell products that increase power on small capacity N/A engines without any modification to the actual block itself.
You may see gains on RR but do you really actually feel it on the road after its all bedded in.

You do feel the fifference on the road as long as it isn't Piperx.

We have made some acceleration test with a late Golf 1.4. Changing the standard airbox to a test induction made a difference of more than a second from 0-60 in both instances taken the best runs (Only done 2 with test induction).

have you never heard of selling things at a loss just to get rid.

Yes thanks.
But lets face it the chances of halfrauds selling of anything at a loss are like the tempriture of liquid nitrogen.

Absolute zero.

(y)

Last edited:
Yes thanks.
But lets face it the chances of halfrauds selling of anything at a loss are like the tempriture of liquid nitrogen.

Absolute zero.

(y)

Sorry, but you are wrong. They sell items regularly of (as do all big companies) that won't be shifted in a certain time. This might due to location reasons (geographically) or upgrading of range, end of line or many other reasons.

Stock that doesn't move is a liability. Better certain items are shifted as a loss than not at all because the biggest loss is not shifting at all.

Just a random guess from me is that the metal tubing on the induction kit gets hot and stays hot for some time sucking in hot air
the tubing on mine doesnt seem to get hot. and the braket broke on my focus kit so at more its actualy touching the rocker cover (resting on it) also i had to remove the manifold heat shield as it was rattling because the holes warn to big to be held on with the screws. but still the pipe dont get hot.

Have fitted the pipercross and doesnt seem to have affected the car much. However it does seem to give smoother acceleration???
I did look at the fact that it would draw in cold air then pass it over a hot manifold so Im now looking for some way to get a cold air feed into the car. ie vent in bonnett with tubing to filter.
Other option is to "obtain" some lagging from work to insulate the manifold.

You know, there's something fishy about these Pipercross and GSR kits, and I just don't get it.

Basically, I'm looking at a crash of cultures here. I'm a member of the Punto Portugal club. If you go there and have the patience to translate our posts, you will see we resort a lot to box K&N filters, and BMC CDA's. Our tests show us conical filters and other induction kits will NOT bring any advantage to performance, and will instead cause a decrease in top speed, as well as suck in hotter air from the engine bay.

On the other hand, I come to this forum, and everybody says the exact opposite: That K&N will make no difference at all (which is false, because I have a box one), and that GSR induction kits are the only way to go.

While I don't want to disbelieve any of the parts involved, I am thinking whether any of you can actually prove the better performance of a GSR kit when compared to a BMC CDA or a K&N filter.

To me, GSR kits are sounding like another brittish fad, "be cool, use it". No offense. (n)

I doubt that anyone in Portugal can say anything about any GSR induction kits as they never have seen one in the flesh.

Most of the "induction kits" I have seen are cobbled together, whether being K&N, Piper or BMC.

FIlow bench tests all over the world have shown that a couple of twin cone filters flow better than anything else.

A filter is only one part of an induction.

It might be that on your site the people are saying whatever they are saying, but on this forum the different rooling roads speak. Quarter mile times and track times add their talking to it.

The people in your club need to do their home work right.

Again, I'm only trying to understand who is in fact right, I'm not saying the people from my club are, neither am I saying you guys are.

Oldschool, no offense, but that sounded just as partial as any other answer. It didn't show me what I wanted, which is installation photos, bench tests, whatever I can use to figure out about these GSR kits. It didn't also prove that the K&N is inefective either, as some people say they are. You are right, an induction kit is not only a filter. However, because a K&N does not look cool under the hood, it's not right to discard that option. They make one hell of a difference compared to a stock filter.

As for my club's members, I would not be the first, and certainly wont be the last, to order any parts from the UK if the investment pays up! (y)

Again, I'm only trying to understand who is in fact right, I'm not saying the people from my club are, neither am I saying you guys are.

Oldschool, no offense, but that sounded just as partial as any other answer. It didn't show me what I wanted, which is installation photos, bench tests, whatever I can use to figure out about these GSR kits. It didn't also prove that the K&N is inefective either, as some people say they are. You are right, an induction kit is not only a filter. However, because a K&N does not look cool under the hood, it's not right to discard that option. They make one hell of a difference compared to a stock filter.

As for my club's members, I would not be the first, and certainly wont be the last, to order any parts from the UK if the investment pays up! (y)
speeks for itslef(y)

100_0828.JPG

Back