Technical Just started and could do with some 4x4 help.

Currently reading:
Technical Just started and could do with some 4x4 help.

Derek C

So today was the first I have had to start working on my new project.:)

Tried to do all my homework and lots of searches in preparation but seem to have fallen short:bang:

Just wondering if the collective could help out with a few things?

Inside the air box is what looks like a temperature operated actuator.

Looks broken as in not connected to anything. Anyone have an image of a good one?

Next the bonnet pull is not connected to anything.

Looked all round the dash LH and RH and seem to be missing a bit to hold it. Can't find it on any parts diagrams either.

Anyone give me a clue?

Lastly missing a steel wheel.
Looks like the spare is fitted so searching for one 4X4 version. Soon as I get to five post will post a pic.

Ebay etc. all turned up nothing and neither did our local breakers.
Any hidden source?
Condition not so important as they will all get media blasted.

Finally the resistance coil fixed to the strut tower. Whats is connected to? Doesn't seem to show on the wiring diagrams.

My this looks like a fun ride!:bang:

Got a shed load of images already so will share later.

Thanks!

Derek

Think I can add a few images now.

Airbox inside.

Where does this fit?

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

Whats this coil for?

Thanks!

Hi Derek,

The flap in the air box is thermostat controlled to either pull air in from the front panel or in cold weather is should close and mean air is pulled from around the manifold. This serves to stop carb icing in cold weather. They are often broke and I would suggest the best option is to replace the air box with a good one, or maybe not worry about it unless you are having problems.

The bonnet release should go in a bracket that is welded to the body under the drivers side dash to the right of the fusebox, you may need to move the carpet out of the way to see.

4x4 rims like to rust so thats probably what has happened to your missing one. Someone here is likely to have a spare, check it carefully around the valve hole and outer rim edge, this is where they go though, its possible to repair of course.

The resistor is for the dim dip headlights. Basically when the Panda was produced is was mandatory for a cars dip beams to come on at half brightness when the side lights were on, the resistor does this. The reason is it not on the diagrams is that Italian and other countries didn't have it fitted. If its all working then I'd leave it be, you don't need it for an MOT however.

Hope this helps!

Here you will find loads of help in the forum and also very helpful people most thing have been done before so it's up to you how you go with your new toy If you centrally located it may be worth a visit to the peakender next weekend even though you may not be ready for the off roading the time meeting all would help especially to see and be shown how why and so on a spare seat could be found I am sure it's a great social

DSC_0621.jpeg

Hi Derek,

The flap in the air box is thermostat controlled to either pull air in from the front panel or in cold weather is should close and mean air is pulled from around the manifold. This serves to stop carb icing in cold weather. They are often broke and I would suggest the best option is to replace the air box with a good one, or maybe not worry about it unless you are having problems.

The bonnet release should go in a bracket that is welded to the body under the drivers side dash to the right of the fusebox, you may need to move the carpet out of the way to see.

4x4 rims like to rust so thats probably what has happened to your missing one. Someone here is likely to have a spare, check it carefully around the valve hole and outer rim edge, this is where they go though, its possible to repair of course.

The resistor is for the dim dip headlights. Basically when the Panda was produced is was mandatory for a cars dip beams to come on at half brightness when the side lights were on, the resistor does this. The reason is it not on the diagrams is that Italian and other countries didn't have it fitted. If its all working then I'd leave it be, you don't need it for an MOT however.

Hope this helps!

Excellent. Airbox looks repairable and this morning quick look someone seems to have been there before:devil:

Going up on the jacks next weekend so will strip the wheels and have an inspect. Thanks for the corrosion tip!(y)

Ah...like the fuse box is hanging from whats left of the bracket! Another one for the to do list.

That explains a lot. The wiring going to be rerouted so will aim to keep it.

Your help much appreciated.

Here you will find loads of help in the forum and also very helpful people most thing have been done before so it's up to you how you go with your new toy If you centrally located it may be worth a visit to the peakender next weekend even though you may not be ready for the off roading the time meeting all would help especially to see and be shown how why and so on a spare seat could be found I am sure it's a great social

Next weekend would be a big ask! My excuse would be still need a V5:slayer:

Previously my work on Detailingworld who have driven my OCD skills further but this initial response is really appreciated.(y)

Derek

So while I have some attention.....

Recommended belt kit?

Recommended ignition parts?

Will post the initial pics shortly.

:)

So while I have some attention.....

Recommended belt kit?

Recommended ignition parts?

Will post the initial pics shortly.

:)

Sorry check your first thread
I have an idea about Andy and the wheel

Just get stuff of eBay it will all work no need for quality parts these little. Cars are tough just need water and oil

Actually if it's got insurance and mo t your fine doesn't. Need to be. In
Your name Go drive love life !!
And tax !!!

I always like to look at Ricambio and ebay for parts. Regarding the water pump I would reccomend sticking with OEM. There has been a lot of people who have bought non OEM and they have siezed in a matter of months..

I think this is the correct waterpump, I would get your VIN number and double check with Ricambio its correct.

I always like to look at Ricambio and ebay for parts. Regarding the water pump I would reccomend sticking with OEM. There has been a lot of people who have bought non OEM and they have siezed in a matter of months..

I think this is the correct waterpump, I would get your VIN number and double check with Ricambio its correct.

I was thinking service part plugs leads belts filter ect. Sorry for any confusion steve

Thanks. Appreciate any information.
How's the oil pump? Whilst the motors out wondering if that's another thing for the shopping list (75k miles)

Some some initial before pictures.

Panda arrived on my birthday after a long search for a suitable 4x4. There was some problem with my birth certificate as it shows I am 60 and not the 13 years I believed. My family who I may never trust again went behind my back and delivered this surprise.

Now there is a plan behind this as a possible small promo car for a local business but we will see what happens. Not my first Italian having supported an Alfetta (leather, power everything) back in 1980 before everything rusted off it finally being scrapped when the power window dropped out the bottom of the door whilst moving.

So a quick survey.

Need a wheel which may be on its way?

Parcel shelf? Yup missing. Nothing new there then.

Best Bit?

Its a Panda as it has rusty doors (official).

Budget aircon (Sun Roof)

Sills and jacking points looking together.

Underneath pretty sound on first look.

Lots of mud!

Interior pretty sound.

Even some parts supplied.

Still haven't fixed the bonnet pull.

Best bit the mighty lever of 4x4.

Yup 71K just run in.

Sounds not connected....think this will be first bit in the bin.

More to come.(y)

Last edited:
Back