Technical Just installed new instrument cluster

Currently reading:
Technical Just installed new instrument cluster

blootvr

The LCD / LED display had failed in my 2012 / 62 plate fiat Fiorino van and was blank. I have got a second hand instrument pod out of a Citroen Nemo same year. Mine had done 114,000 miles the Citroen had done 55,000 miles. The mileage display is now showing the 55,000 but it is flashing.
I am guessing this is because the main ECU has figured out that a new display has been installed.
Is it just a case of recoding the new display to the car or does the display need to have the mileage corrected.
I have read somewhere that the mileage of a new display can be increased to a higher figure which is the case with mine but it can’t be done the other way ie a display with a higher mileage can’t be reduced.
I‘m guessing my other option is to strip down both instrument pods and swap over just the LCD displays over.
Any advice appreciated

Hi there.

Saw you post and recognised the problems. I can't solve all your issues but I hope that my experience might be of some use.

I have a 2009 Punto which has developed a classic fault of instrunent cluster problems. My mileometer has gone blank at about 90,000 miles. my best guess is that this is a failure of the LCD and no more. I haven't been able to source a replacement LCD part, except at an outfit called Minitools, based in Italy. With the Euro conversion it comes to about £65. Problem is that following Brexit there is a minimum import value of €180 before tax, p&p etc. so I ruled that out.

Next I searched for a replacement instrument panel compatible with my car (eBay at £60) and it arrived this morning. To overcome the ECU mileage memory issues, I hope that my plan will work. Time will tell. I'm going to take the LCD from the instrument panel that I have purchased and I will put it into my existing instrument cluster and hope that my ECU doesn't spot the change!

If I get away with it, my mileometer will just pick up the existing mileage on my car from the ECU. I have read of some issues with the display flashing like yours but I will face this if it arises. A fault with my plan is that the replacement LCD may not last long either!

As a fall back, I can always fit my newly aquired instrument panel into the car. The mileage on my replacement unit is below my car's mileage so I can adjust it up. I understand that paying about £50 I can buy some software for my laptop to adjust the mileage up to match my vehicle's mileage. The software will only adjust it up. I think that it is illeagal to adjust it down.

My plan may have ignored stuff, particularly with the ECU but we will see.

Another way forward is to send it away. The quotes that I got were about £175. The problem for me was that my unit would be gone for about a week. A clear advantage though was the work would be guaranteed.

I hope this helps. I have also attached a previous Forum thread which might be of interest.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Saw you post and recognised the problems. I can't solve all your issues but I hope that my experience might be of some use.

I have a 2009 Punto which has developed a classic fault of instrunent cluster problems. My mileometer has gone blank at about 90,000 miles. my best guess is that this is a failure of the LCD and no more. I haven't been able to source a replacement LCD part, except at an outfit called Minitools, based in Italy. With the Euro conversion it comes to about £65. Problem is that following Brexit there is a minimum import value of €180 before tax, p&p etc. so I ruled that out.

Next I searched for a replacement instrument panel compatible with my car (eBay at £60) and it arrived this morning. To overcome the ECU mileage memory issues, I hope that my plan will work. Time will tell. I'm going to take the LCD from the instrument panel that I have purchased and I will put it into my existing instrument cluster and hope that my ECU doesn't spot the change!

If I get away with it, my mileometer will just pick up the existing mileage on my car from the ECU. I have read of some issues with the display flashing like yours but I will face this if it arises. A fault with my plan is that the replacement LCD may not last long either!

As a fall back, I can always fit my newly aquired instrument panel into the car. The mileage on my replacement unit is below my car's mileage so I can adjust it up. I understand that paying about £50 I can buy some software for my laptop to adjust the mileage up to match my vehicle's mileage. The software will only adjust it up. I think that it is illeagal to adjust it down.

My plan may have ignored stuff, particularly with the ECU but we will see.

Another way forward is to send it away. The quotes that I got were about £175. The problem for me was that my unit would be gone for about a week. A clear advantage though was the work would be guaranteed.

I hope this helps. I have also attached a previous Forum thread which might be of interest.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am just waiting for a friend to plug it into his diagnostic computer at his garage he seems to think he can synchronise the new cluster with the ecu and it will reset the new cluster to the correct mileage which is also stored on the ecu as well as the cluster. I will let you know how it goes

Thanks, I would be interested to hear how it goes. I'm trying to get my head around it all and understand where and on which ECUs the mileage is stored on. I assume that there is ECU storage on the cluster. I would like to know if the data transmitted from the wheel/transmission is stored on another ECU and also sent to the cluster ECU.

i'm going to have a shot at transferring a working LCD from the compatible cluster that I have purchased to the cluster that is in the car. The alternative strategy would be just to put my "new" cluster into the car and adjust the mileage up. I'd have to buy the software and one of the suppliers is Gendan

but it costs £50 but I suppose that I would have the software for the future then. I'm interested to know if the car's mileage is only stored on the cluster ECU or if it's kept on another ECU elsewhere on the car..

Last edited:
i have plugged it into his diagnostic computer and it has stopped the mileage flashing but it is still displaying the mileage for the donor car which is less than the correct mileage for my car. Not had chance to see if there is a facility in his computer to correct the mileage up to the actual mileage of my car but will have a go next tome I’m there

On another thread a member who seems to know his stuff has said that the mileage is stored in three places, the mileometer in the instrument cluster, the Body Control Unit and the Electrical Control Unit.

From what I have read and your experience it seems that the mileage you see is the one stored on in the mileometer in the cluster. I see that people have successfully adjusted the mileage up from a new mileometer to match the original, using software. However, you have to be careful not to go significantly beyond your original mileage when adjusting as there is no way back!

I've gone for the safe route of transferring a working LCD from a used instrument cluster to my existing one. It took me a couple of hours and was a little fiddly but can be done. My mileomter is working fine now and I hope that it stays that way!

Please, post the outcome of your repair.

Back