Technical Juddering wipers - help!

Currently reading:
Technical Juddering wipers - help!

dunc69

Hi, as per title, the wipers on my 100HP are juddering and really irritating me!

I replaced them about 6 months ago, and they were fine for a few weeks. They then went back to how they were before.

If it is raining VERY heavily, they are fine, but anything less and the noise is too much to bear.

I've cleaned the screen. No change.
I actually think glass cleaner might have made it worse.

Rain-X is a possibility I guess.

Any thoughts guys? Tell me it's not just one of those things with Pandas!

Thanks in advance.

Dunc.

U do know u have to wash, wipe clean and lube the rubbers on wipers? this prolongs their life, a must be done if u have more expensive Bosch Aerotwin.
Rain-X isnt as efficient as its being advertised by the way but it helps a lot in heavy rain at high speed.

Guys, I really appreciate the quick responses.

I have cleaned the blades, but haven't lubed them. Should this be silicone lube?

Tks, Dunc.

Halfords are Champion supplied and very good. Bosch also work well, but I was disappointed with the hard Valeo ones.

As the wiper travels across the screen it has to lean over, flipping the opposite way as it changes direction. When it stops at the bottom it will always be lying one way, and like bent paper will try to stay that way of left for long periods. Then as it travels up the screen, it digs in rather than flipping over, hence the judder. To prolong their life, once a week, or more, while the wipers are parked, push the blades downwards and release. This will flip them the other way, and will help offset the tendency to stay one way. Yours are obviously too far gone for this, but it may be worthwhile to remove the rubbers from the blade and put them back in the other way around. They may judder a little on their way back down now instead of up, but when parked they are trying to lie opposite to the way they have "set".

You can solve judder very easily... if judder on the 'up' stroke, lift the arm away from the screen enough to be able to turn the wiper blade at 90 deg to the arm (so the arm and blade resemble a 'T'. Now, make a 'fist' with the plastic fixing between the blade and the arm in your hand by grabbing the wiper blade at that point. Seen from standing at the passenger side, twist about 30 degrees clockwise so that the flat metal part of the arm twists slightly (It will spring back as you let go, leaving just a degree or two of twist). If judder on the downstroke, twist the other way. (I'll post a photo tomorrow to make this clearer)... Works every time on any car. New and quality blades helps but even with brand new blades, some judder can happen. Whatever else you might try, never try 'lubricating' the blades -- it might make them quiet but it will also make them smear.

Last edited:
Hilltopper, presumably with your idea you're ensuring the blade is folded in the right direction for the upstroke (if you have upstroke judder) - sounds a little wrong! ;-)

i.e. rather than the blade having to flip halfway through the stroke?

Do you have that pic?

Cheers.

Hilltopper, presumably with your idea you're ensuring the blade is folded in the right direction for the upstroke (if you have upstroke judder) - sounds a little wrong! ;-)

i.e. rather than the blade having to flip halfway through the stroke?

Do you have that pic?

Cheers.

Blade should flip at the start of each stroke. To do this properly it needs to be at right angles to the screen. The arm should be like that already, if it is not, the arm or pivot need attention. Bending it is addressing an effect, not the cause. Don't bend the arm, get new blades and look after them.

I cleaned the blades yesterday before driving home from work & the wipers worked perfectly. Was mainly light drizzle.

I'll clean the windscreen properly today too.

Thanks all for your help.

Back