Technical JTD oil change - and now I've got a problem!

Currently reading:
Technical JTD oil change - and now I've got a problem!

Brake / Throttle plausabilty is basically the ecu is seeing the brake and throttle applied at the same time.

The engine ecu reduces fueling when the brake is applied, check the brake switch adjustment, and make sure it releases properly.

Brake / Throttle plausabilty is basically the ecu is seeing the brake and throttle applied at the same time.

The engine ecu reduces fueling when the brake is applied, check the brake switch adjustment, and make sure it releases properly.

Excellent point, Numan. If it's something the Stilo really doesn't like (or doesn't want to understand) is left foot braking while rallying with the right foot (traction off then).

M.

ok, today was its third run with the maf disconnected and nothing happened. ran fine.

also last evening was its second run, and nothing happened then.

so, dodgy maf me says.

bummer of a time to go though, well skint :bang:

i'll get it off shop4parts and fit it myself. i'll have a go at cleaning it first though as per a1ant's guide (y)

Last edited:
Have you got the 5-point tool to remove the MAF sensor the easy way ;)

It's a real pain of a job to replace it otherwize (doing it the 'proper' way)

Halfords sell some electrical contact cleaner spray which is very good for cleaning both the MAF and the contacts on the plug.

This one

5point.JPG

but make sure it's a 5 point (5 star) as the most common is 6 point.

I got mine from eBay (y)

ok so today is its fourth run with the maf disconnected, and.........

its doing it again! :bang::bang::bang:

all be it with less frequency than with the maf connected, but its still there. only on light throttle or when backing off the throttle. could happen in any gear at any speed.

It sometimes also has a "hissy fit" where it'll repeat it a few times in a row, i.e. back off throttle--> does it, lift off, fine, then throttle again--> does it, lift off, fine, throttle again--> does it...................

so it looks like the maf is not the culprit, or at least not the main one.

any ideas people? (n)

Re: The oil change thats killing my car!

as some of you have read in my other thread (are these brake discs the same?) that I recently have had my oil changed and that my engine developed a fault straight after.

the fault is that the car, whilst driving, would suddenly lose all revs and power (causing the car to slow down cosiderably) and refuse to rev up again unless you take your foot off the accelerator then re-press. i have found that this happens most under light throttle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem about 18 months ago turned out to be a problem with the turbo cutting out, some sort of actuator/switch on turbo packed up, garage replaced part(s) cost £60
Also have NEVER had to top up oil between services......never had a car that used no oil at all even if was only a leak!!! it's brill
Stilo JTD 115 Dynamic 03 plate Orion Grey

mysteriously estella has fixed herself after the brake fluid change. no more loss of power or any hesitation :) so it must have been related to the brake switch.

i will take the opportunity thought to thanks argo for his castrol edge 0w-30 recommendation. the car has been transformed to simply put it. it is HUGELY more civilized, especially while on the go. noise levels have drastically decreased and so has idle vibration. its also very rev happy and theres virtually no more black smoke :yuck:

its like a magic transition from crude to modern in just an oil change.

well done argo (y)

Back