General JTD - Loss of power

Currently reading:
General JTD - Loss of power

djh

I have a 2003 stilo 1.9jtd multiwagon and was driving along dual carraigeway yesterday when i lost all power. Revs are fine, but no power for hills etc. Have checked EGR valve again as had that problem a while ago but no difference. Any ideas please? This car is really starting to annoy now, seem to get one problem sorted, and then something else goes wrong!

Any ideas of a part number - my local fiat dealer and shop4parts can't help as they don't call it overboost or VGT valve.

Before i order the overboost valve, just want to check whether it would still be the problem, as have driven car since first problem and now after a few miles of no power, there is a slight kick, and power is restored, and car drives well.

Before i order the overboost valve, just want to check whether it would still be the problem, as have driven car since first problem and now after a few miles of no power, there is a slight kick, and power is restored, and car drives well.
All of this have been covered in older treads if you Search

The VGT valve often recovers after getting a soaking and in my experience rarely goes wrong (mine is original)

Make sure you check ALL tubing for signs of cracks or splits though as the symptoms will be identical to a defective valve.

Thanks for the advice, have tried looking through all the previous threads but none seem to have our exact fault. We have had previous problems with EGR valve which we have cleaned and all seemed ok until now. Have checked valve again and seems to be working quite freely, and is clean. My husband has moved the VGT valve up to the battery tray, and when disconnected it had 'engine fault' on display. We do not get any engine fault or lights etc when driving, so does this rule out the VGT valve being at fault. He has checked all tubing and all seems ok. He keeps thinking that it is the EGR valve, but obviously we don't want to replace it and find that its not. Any way of checking the connections to the EGR valve or are we barking up the wrong tree? Sorry to keep asking questions but this car is starting to get really frustrating. It has done 104k miles and since it clocked 100k we seem to keep getting problems.

EGR valve is really easy to check as you only need to block it (full details on doing this in one of the EGR threads somewhere).

You really need some faults codes.

It could still be lots of things (VGT valve, MAP sensor, MAF sensor etc)

Have blocked EGR valve and no difference, and have also replaced overboost valve, still no difference. Have looked at getting a code reader but as car is 2003 JTD it is not OBD2 compliant so have no joy. Any ideas on that one? Have checked the sensor near the EGR valve (MAP or Maf?) this just stops the car revving over 3000 rpm so guess that is ok. When cold, the car has no power until driven about 5 miles or so and then power kicks in. It is as though engine has reached temp. When you restart again, no power until temp gets up, could be after a minite or so, depending on how long stopped. Any ideas please?

As no warning lights come up, would any faults come up on the code reader?
When the temp gauge gets to just before half, the power kicks in and car runs normally until stopped. As previously said, have blocked off EGR, changed overboost valve, checked all pipes. Any ideas please. It just seems odd that when it does kick in the car runs fine, no juddering, no smoke at any time. Does anyone think it is temperature related to anything? HELP!

As no warning lights come up, would any faults come up on the code reader?
They might but that's only a starting point anyway.

As the fault is ALWAYS repeatable (from what you say) then it's an obvious candidate to have Examiner wired up and then go for a drive with techie sitting next to you. Almost certain to pick up something and that's assuming it doesn't pick an error when first connected.

Sometimes, the guessing game doesn't work and you just need to get down to some serious diagnosis - as I have with my JTD once in the past.

The time to start cursing the car is when you've done that and you still haven't got much idea (as happened to me with a Rover once :()

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back