Technical JTD engine replacement saga!

Currently reading:
Technical JTD engine replacement saga!

re: JTD - Now my replacement engine has died!!!

she'd try, but never actually catching.

but the similar thing is that it died while i was driving. although i did get an engine failure message right before

i got no failure message and its not even trying to turn over. i just want someone to reassure me it might not be the engine. :( sadly it sounds terminal :bang:

check the easy stuff first.

A duff battery can cause this, start there.

Then check the alternator is charging the battery/producing sufficent power.

Also check starter motor to

it does sound electrical.

However having suffered a siezed engine before, i had this problem as trying to start it whilst seized obviously wouldnt turn it over, and by the time the block had cooled i had flattened the battery, which was poor. This wasnt in a stilo

Coincidence that the map has just been taken off? Something disturbed during the process? :shrug:

Coincidence that the map has just been taken off? Something disturbed during the process? :shrug:
My thoughts exactly (y)

It's normally done via the OBD connector - so difficult to see what harm that could do - but some tuners will boost the battery first to make sure it doesn't run low on volts during (de)mapping.

Sounds like it could just be a bad connection somewhere to me

I've not had mine die on me in traffic, but when the battery was affected by the cold weather and the car not having been run for a couple of weeks, when I tried to start it there was no effort at all. Turning the key didn't even produce the sound of the starter motor trying to turn it, and when I turned the key to 'off', the electrics all came back on.

It sounds a bit similar to your predicament...thinking on it further, I had a similar issue with an old car (not a Fiat) that would just die when driving along. Never got to the bottom of it as I scrapped it not long after.

i was there during the whole de-mapping process and all they did was connect via obd to read & write. they didnt touch anything else. the car was then fine back home which is 130ish miles.

i think the de-map is a coincidence.

hopefully it is just and earth etc. would kind of explain the lack of warning messages?

just got back from it now and its not good. although not too bad.

we turned the bottom end round manually and found it isn't seized as it did go round. but only to a point where it is hitting. it really wont go any further.

so its being towed back to mine monday and taking the head off to see whats going on inside.

is the jtd an interference engine?

based on the above any ideas on what may be wrong? should i be more worried than i am?

For crying out loud Frank - I'm speechless :cry:

I thought apart from the cock-up with two sensors (crank and cam swapped over) you just dropped the engine in ?

The odds must be pretty astronomical for the belt to slip like that unless it got damaged during the change or something :confused:

You should be able to tell if any valves are bent by just removing the camcover and checking for excessive clearances. Usually you'll find one or more buckets and shims cracked too.

For crying out loud Frank - I'm speechless :cry:

I thought apart from the cock-up with two sensors (crank and cam swapped over) you just dropped the engine in ?

The odds must be pretty astronomical for the belt to slip like that unless it got damaged during the change or something :confused:

to be safe as we didnt know how many miles the donor engine had done we did the belt. what is strange though is there were no signs. it just stalled and thats it. :bang:

hopefully the bottom end is fine. wish we never scrapped the other top end :cry:

Back