General I've finally committed to buy a 100HP

Currently reading:
General I've finally committed to buy a 100HP

DaveMcT

Distinguished member
The bike is great and as we already have a Pande I/we really did not need a second car. However, my work has changed and the 35 miles commute at least two days a week on the bike has become a pain in the arse. I also now do a lot of other stuff where the bike is more hassle than benefit.

So Ive found a 100HP at a dealers and off to collect it on Wednesday. I "could" save money by going for a private sale but really don't have the time to sort any big stuff.

I expect to find some smaller stuff to fix but hopefully the car will be basically reliable.

I'll be checking brakes, suspension, gearbox clutch and cooling with air con running. Wish me a hot sunny day.

The BMW R1200 will soon be on sale. At least the Suzuki GT750 Kettle is nearly ready for the road.

Congrats - done 600 miles in my latest 100HP and loving it - 120 yesterday across Sussex and still had to take it for a blast today just for fun... (y)

The sad thing is we already have a 1200 Dynamic in dark blue and the new one is the same colour. :eek: Talk about His n Hers.

I like driving the 1200 Panda quickly there's something really satisfying about keeping a modest powered engine on song. The 100HP can only add to that.

It's a shame the Beemer 1200 has to go but needs must. It really is something else to use. It turns and stops better than most bikes on the road and with about 100hp driving 1/4 ton it's pretty damn quick.

I'm expecting to need some upgrades. Suspension damping is likely to be tired if not worn out so that will be on the menu. Brained brake hoses will also be going in.

I'd start with fresh fluid(ATE racing is my favorit) and maybe better pads. If you decide to go for the braided hoses, make sure you get 6 of them. The ones on the pivotpoint of the rearaxle are often forgotten.

gr J

Bad news I'm afraid. It looked good and clean but underneath it was far from OK.

Rear axle badly rusted with a bodged weld repair on near side
Clutch biting just above floor level making it difficult to pull-away gently.
Rattle from the rear door drivers side. I never managed to discover what that was.
Supposedly a full service history but evidence of cam belt change was interestingly missing At 97K miles I wasn't about to buy and drive that without surety on the cam belt.

Dealer would not negotiate on price so despite a 200 mile drive home I walked away.

The search continues.

Last edited:
Bad news I'm afraid. It looked good and clean but underneath it was far from OK.

Rear axle badly rusted with a bodged weld repair on near side
Clutch biting just above floor level making it difficult to pull-away gently.
Rattle from the rear door drivers side. I never managed to discover what that was.
Supposedly a full service history but evidence of cam belt change was interestingly missing At 97K miles I wasn't about to buy and drive that without surety on the cam belt.

Dealer would not negotiate on price so despite a 200 mile drive home I walked away.

The search continues.

You did the right thing. A bad car isn't worth buying at any price.

Finding a clean 100HP now isn't easy. After 10 years, most will basically be scrap.

Good luck with your continuing search.

Last edited:
Definitely hold out for a good one - at present there are more 100HP's for sale than any time I can remember.

Still worth paying top money (£3k) for a minter last of the line from 2010 that's been well maintained with none of the usual (rotten axle, collapsed bolsters, peeling steering wheel, worn out suspension, lack of history etc) - they are out there (I got one!) and will hold their money nicely.

You did the right thing. A bad car isn't worth buying at any price.

Finding a clean 100HP now isn't easy. After 10 years, most will basically be scrap.

Good luck with your continuing search.

I agree and expected the rear axle to need work soon if not immediately. Plan was to fit a 500 axle as I did on our other car.

Sadly it was mis-represented or I'd not have gone so far to look at it. The clutch is only just releasing and the cam belt is who knows what age.

Last edited:
Is it an early drum with twin leading shoe model?
I wouldn't mind adding one of them to my collection :D

Its a 1976 A model with twin discs. It still needs an invite to stop and wet weather braking times are measured by calendar, but its a great looking bike and sounds stunning on the expansion chamber exhausts. These are proper top totty 1970s Allspeeds. :)

For now the Beemer is back in service.

Back