Technical IS SMOKING BAD FOR YOU?

Currently reading:
Technical IS SMOKING BAD FOR YOU?

Factseeker

Hi All,

Fiat Doblo 2005 Diesel MPV1.9 JTD 105HP 223 A7.000;223 B1.000 - 100k miles purchase in late April.

First Diesel ever owned - very happy with it - ticks over beautifully - slight hesitation at times in 3rd now seems cleared after Injector Cleaner.

As per usual spent some time on changing all filters etc - Oil change with a Flush - Injector cleaner - check Gear Oil - Top up Fluids.

When first purchased much Black Smoke at certain times if engine revved up over 3OOO.

Have dismantled and cleaned the EGR - it was not that grubby - just fine Soot coating.

Tested EGR Valve with MultiScan - can hear click - so presuming operational.

Now if car out of gear and Revved over 3k - black Smoke - fairly modest - for few seconds max after start up - then all clear.

But if in gear (2nd) - Accelerate - Revved over 3k - much black Smoke for longer period but does eventually clear.

However cause of embarrassment if overtaking smartly - not to mention pollution. ( Tommy Cooper - RIP - of course would say "Don't do it then")

The Car is using no Oil whatsoever - 3k miles plus and no drop in Oil level at all - so where is the Smoke coming from??

Input very welcome.

Best Rgds
Steve - Factseeker.

Sounds normal to me, what you are seeing is probably soot from the exhaust rather than smoke.

The main problem is the MOT it may well fail on the smoke test, I have owned probably 20 diesel cars over the years and the way to cure it is very simple but you need to make sure your cam belt is in good order.

Before I go for an MOT I always find somewhere quiet and out of gear just floor the throttle for a second do this about 4/5 times until the exhaust runs completely clear.

It sounds a bit brutal but its an old trick and will not harm an engine that has been serviced properly.

The first time you floor it a huge cloud of smoke will come out but every time you do it the smoke will be less until it will blow completely clear.

If you don't do this when you go for the MOT the examiner will floor the throttle on the smoke test and he will get the huge cloud of soot, sorry you failed.

PS. Yes smoking can seriously damage your wallet, especially if you start buying all the magic potions from Halfords that never work.

I would replace the turbo boost actuator valve.. it'll be connected to the boost actuator by a pipe.

The pipe may be split, or the actuator may need its rod adjusting or it may be faulty.. but the boost valve is the hardest working component and 100k is good failure window mileage.

Ralf S.
Hi Ralf,

Thnxs for advice - will check that out - let you know what I find.

I purchased the MulitScan in order to try to track this problem - my MOT not till next April - so wanted to track it down now - rather than leave until lst minute.

Best Rgds
Steve

I would replace the turbo boost actuator valve.. it'll be connected to the boost actuator by a pipe.

The pipe may be split, or the actuator may need its rod adjusting or it may be faulty.. but the boost valve is the hardest working component and 100k is good failure window mileage.

Ralf S.

PS. Yes smoking can seriously damage your wallet, especially if you start buying all the magic potions from Halfords that never work.
Hi Cris,

Yes I have seen the Youtube on the pills & potions available. ;o))

Thnxs for advice - will check that out - let you know what I find.

I had the CAM belt changed before purchase.

I purchased the MulitScan in order to try to track this problem - my MOT not till next April - so wanted to track it down now - rather than leave until lst minute.

Best Rgds
Steve

Back