General is my speed correct?

Currently reading:
General is my speed correct?

on a w reg, non abs model. I know speedometers arnt 100% correct but on my clock i was going 25ish mph and i noticed one of those speed checkers mounted on a lamp post (NOT A SPEED CAMERA!:p) and that was saying i was doing 31mph, but honestly it didnt feel like 31, it felt like 25 mph.
four days later i get a speeding ticket and 3 points!:cry: (different road) 35mph but im 100% positive i was doing 28-30mph, i constantly try to raise my mpg (yes im a student:p) by driving slower when no traffic is around!(n)

You could check it against a sat nav, then take note of the difference.

If its a big difference you could open up the dials, take off the needle and reseat it, then go and check it against sat nav again.

Only thing is you need to try and lift the needle off 100% vertically without turning it and the same when your putting it back on.

If you have an android mobile with built-in gps, you can download some HUD apps.
Put the mobile sitting inbetween dashboard and windscreen with the GPS on and app running, it will show the speed on the screen on the mobile in reverse but as you look at the reflection on the window it will be right way around.

Last edited:
Take it to a test station/a place that can calibrate tacos and pay for it checking on a rolling road, if you havent changed the wheels or played around with the speedo and they prove it wasnt calibrated correct then theres a good chance you can get off the with the points and fine.

yes it has standard sporting alloy wheels on at standard tyre sizes. I will try a satnav when i get the chance, unfortunately i own and use a nokia 6280 (yeah ima cheapskate!) so i cannot download apps. As for the gearbox, yes i have changed the gearbox but that was years ago and kept the original vss sensor on the gearbox

I WILL NOT SELL MY PUNTO! its my pride and joy!

i was thinking if i got a satnav and speedo together and recorded the difference with a camera maybe i could be let off?
idk im blindly guessing here

The law says a speedo should can read up to 10% high but 0% low. So you will still get stung. Driver is responsible, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah.

Nobody pointed out the nag sign could be wrong. I know of one in South Derbyshire that nags you are exceeding 30 when you are really doing 25.

Its full of badly researched propaganda (so I'm told). Take the medicine, smile and frown at the right times and promise to be good.

quick update guys! yes my needle was wrong by 4mph BUT i changed the colour of my dials so i am to blame for that and now relocated the needle.... luckily i got the chance to book a speed awareness course, so luckily no points... just a fine! :D

so self inflicted then:eek:

Back